Thread: NFL Playoff Picture: Ravens Win Causes Steelers Discomfort

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL Playoff Picture: Ravens Win Causes Steelers Discomfort

NFL Playoff Picture: Ravens Win Causes Steelers Discomfort

by Charlie Wilmoth • Dec 26, 2010 4:25 PM EST
    http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pitts...colts-patriots

Here's a quick look at some AFC scores that are relevant as the Steelers wait to see how the NFL playoff picture will shape up. To no one's surprise, the Patriots crushed the Bills, 34-3, clinching the best record in the AFC. The Ravens, unfortunately, beat the Browns, which means that the Steelers will have to play hard against the Browns next week to win a first-round bye in the playoffs and also increases the likelihood that they will have to play the Ravens at some point. The Jets' 38-34 loss to the Bears today also increases this likelihood.

The Chiefs just beat the Titans, increasing their lead over the rest of the AFC West. The Jaguars, meanwhile, just lost in overtime against the Redskins, whose defense played very well. Jacksonville's loss opens the door for the Colts to win the AFC South, which is too bad, because the Colts are more dangerous than the Jaguars are. So here's how the playoff seeds would shape up as of right now:

1. Patriots 13-2

2. Steelers 11-4

3. Chiefs 10-5

4. Colts 8-6

5. Ravens 11-4

6. Jets 10-5

If things ended up like this, Steelers fans would want to root for the Chiefs against the Jets in the Wild Card round so that they could face Kansas City instead of Baltimore (or Indianapolis, which isn't quite as tough but still would be a more difficult matchup than the Chiefs) in the divisional round. Their three possible divisional round opponents would be the Chiefs, Colts and Ravens.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NFL Playoff Picture: Ravens Win Causes Steelers Discomfort

AFC Playoff Picture
    Posted by Gregory Lee Jr. Globe Staff December 26, 2010 05:00 PM
    http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...off_pic_1.html

The New England Patriots clinched home-field advantage with today's victory. The Jets, despite their loss to the Bears, secured a playoff spot. The Ravens also clinched a playoff spot today with a victory over the Browns.

The Jaguars sealed their fate losing to lowly Washington at home in overtime. The Chargers, the team that supposedly no one wants to play in the postseason, is trailing 13-3 at Cincinnati (with no T.O. or Ocho Cinco).

A Steelers victory over the Browns next week gives them the AFC North and a first-round bye. The Ravens have clinched at least the fifth seed by virtue of their season-opening victory over the Jets.

A Steelers loss, a Ravens win at home against the Bengals and a Jets victory over the Bills at home would drop the Steelers to the sixth seed. The Ravens would win the AFC North (better common opponents record) and the Jets move up to the fifth seed due to victory over the Steelers last week.

As it stands at this moment, the playoffs shape up like this.

1) NE 13-2
    2) PIT 11-4
    3) KC 10-5
    4) IND 8-6
    5) BAL 11-4
    6) NYJ 10-5

On the outside
    SD 8-6
    JAC 8-7

Threads : 691

While the Ravens would be a tough game (they always are) actually the Steelers match up quite well with them,and I would like their chances.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As it stands at this moment, the playoffs shape up like this.

1) NE 13-2
    2) PIT 11-4
    3) KC 10-5
    4) IND 8-6
    5) BAL 11-4
    6) NYJ 10-5

On the outside
    SD 8-6

JAC 8-7

too bad, I was hoping to face the Chargers in the playoffs...that chicken was going down!

Threads : 49

If I were a Chargers fan I'd be royally ****ed if Turner isn't fired after this season. The guy is a horrible head coach. Just horrible. He's so bad that it'd be hard deciding who is a worse head coach, Turner or Wade Philips.

If that's how things shake out with the playoff seedings, I really think the Steelers will be facing the Chiefs in a few weeks. Jamaal Charles is going to run all over the Jets, IMO. He's one of the best RB's in the league right now and the Jets run defense has looked like crap in recent weeks.

Ravens/Colts could upset the Pats.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Basically, it comes down to this:

Steelers have to win against the Browns to get the 2nd seed. They can still get the 2nd if the Ravens lose. If the Steelers lose, and the Jets win, and Ravens win, it's the sixth seed. If the Steelers lose, Ravens win, and Jets lose it's the 5th seed.

KC has to win to secure the 3rd seed. Indy still has a shot at the 3rd seed, if they win and the Chiefs lose.

Jacksonville still has a chance, if they beat Houston, and Indy loses to Tennessee. If that occurs, Jacksonville would have a better divisional record and would take the 4th seed. KC would then be the 3rd in this scenario.

Ravens own the tiebreaker over the Jets.

Threads : 49

Nice breakdown, foslrock. So it really depends on what happens with the Chiefs, Colts, Jets, Ravens and Steelers games. The only seed that is locked in is the Pats who have the #1 seed.

Jags look like they're ****ed. Not very good team regardless.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the Steelers get the 2nd seed. They have a solid history against the Browns. Last years game was an anomaly. Colt Mccoy isn't as good as advertised, and they've lost 3 straight.

I don't see the Jags getting in, at this point. Weirder things have happened before...but they sort of lost the division by losing to Indy a week ago.

The Raiders can beat the Chiefs, but the thing is the Chiefs are pretty darn good at home. I see the Chiefs holding the Raiders to take 3rd.

So my prediction is a first round matchup of:

NY Jets @ KC - I see KC winning this (ok, I hope KC wins this, because it would send them to Pittsburgh). The Jets magic seems to have ran out.

Baltimore @ Indy - Don't really care who wins, but they would go to New England in the divisional round, and in my opinion, the Steelers would have the easier 2nd round matchup.

Threads : 227

The Chiefs play solid defense and have a great running game. That one would concern me some.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 440

Only one playoff spot left in AFC

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 26, 2010

Sunday’s results cleared things up quite a bit, especially in the AFC. San Diego’s choke in Cincinnati decided the AFC West and both wild card spots are settled. Here’s how things stand:

1. New England (13-2): The Patriots have clinched homefield advantage with their win in Buffalo. Bill Belichick has traditionally played his starters in Week 17 in similar situations, but not every time. He may want his young defense to continue to get work against the Dolphins.

2. Pittsburgh (11-4): The Steelers have to win a tricky game in Cleveland or hope the Ravens lose to the Bengals to clinch the No. 2 seed and the AFC North crown. Otherwise, Pittsburgh could fall all the way to the No. 6 seed. Browns-Steelers thus becomes one of the bigger Week 17 AFC games.

3. Kansas City (10-5): The Chiefs are AFC West champions. A win over the Raiders next week would clinch the No. 3 seed in the conference. A loss and a win by the Colts would push Kansas City down to No. 4. (And possibly stuck going to Foxborough in round two. Something to think about if the Chiefs consider resting folks.)

4. Indianapolis (9-6): A win or tie against the Titans next week wins the division for the Colts. A loss by the Jaguars in Houston also puts the Colts in. Like we said above, the Colts could still be the three seed.

5. Baltimore (11-4): The Ravens are in. They need a win and a loss by the Steelers to go all the up to the No. 2 seed. They can’t fall below the Jets because they beat New York in Week 1.

6. New York (10-5): Rex Ryan is relieved the Jets are in. To move up a spot, the Jets would need to win and have the Steelers lose and have the Ravens win. It sounds like they won’t even play their starters next week.

7. Jacksonville (8-7): The loss to the Redskins wasn’t that damaging, really. Because the Colts won in Oakland, the Jaguars would have needed the Colts to lose to the Titans in Week 17 for a chance to win the division. That’s still the case. Jacksonville needs to win in Houston and get a Colts loss to the Titans to get the No. 4 seed. Simple.

8-16: Everyone else: Try again next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-left-in-afc/

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Steelers get the 2nd seed. They have a solid history against the Browns. Last years game was an anomaly. Colt Mccoy isn't as good as advertised, and they've lost 3 straight.

I don't see the Jags getting in, at this point. Weirder things have happened before...but they sort of lost the division by losing to Indy a week ago.

The Raiders can beat the Chiefs, but the thing is the Chiefs are pretty darn good at home. I see the Chiefs holding the Raiders to take 3rd.

So my prediction is a first round matchup of:

NY Jets @ KC - I see KC winning this (ok, I hope KC wins this, because it would send them to Pittsburgh). The Jets magic seems to have ran out.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Baltimore @ Indy - Don't really care who wins, but they would go to New England in the divisional round, and in my opinion, the Steelers would have the easier 2nd round matchup.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Agreed and I truly think that either of those teams could beat the Pats in NE.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information