Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabata

Threads : 36

Default Tabata

Is tearing it up in the AFL. He doesn't strike out, and he does have extra base power, he just isn't hitting hr's. Everyone seems to think that will come. I feel he's the key to the future. I like what we have with many of the other prospects. If he can continue to hit at a high average and developes 20 hr power, the team will be looking pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

BTW Chase D'Arnaud after a slow start in the AFL is starting to look pretty good as well. I see him as the 2nd basemen of the future.

Threads : 22

Default Re: Tabata

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is tearing it up in the AFL. He doesn't strike out, and he does have extra base power, he just isn't hitting hr's. Everyone seems to think that will come. I feel he's the key to the future. I like what we have with many of the other prospects. If he can continue to hit at a high average and developes 20 hr power, the team will be looking pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

BTW Chase D'Arnaud after a slow start in the AFL is starting to look pretty good as well. I see him as the 2nd basemen of the future.
    How can Tabata be doing well?

Our FO cannot judge talent at all!

Threads : 94

Everyone needs to calm down a little about the Pirate prospects and the AFL. These are minor leaguers going against minor leaguers in non pressure games. Nothing more nothing less!

I completely understand that. My point is would you rather have Pirate prospects floundering or producing. I'm no more excited about his performance in this league than I would be about a good performance in the regular minor league season. I just like seeing our prospects performing.

Threads : 22

I completely understand that. My point is would you rather have Pirate prospects floundering or producing. I'm no more excited about his performance in this league than I would be about a good performance in the regular minor league season. I just like seeing our prospects performing.
    Well, if they flounder - there is a lot more to talk about.

Come on - what kind of fan are you?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's my take as well and also there's a lot of individual performance type things that are always worth looking at despite the league or competition one plays in. Fora guy like Tabata seeing the good plate presence is always a plus because that's something you can continue to take with you to the next level of competition. Just like Veal's finding of his control. That's important regardless of the level of competition.

I'm excited for Tabata's future as well. If that power develops we're in pretty solid shape

Fair enough...

I'm wondering how much of Veal's improved control is actually undisciplined batters chasing pitches out of the strike zone.

I'm wondering how much of Veal's improved control is actually undisciplined batters chasing pitches out of the strike zone.
    that's what you want out of your breaking balls though. balls that start in the zone and go out and forces hitters to chase.

From what i have read, his control has actually been on more than it has anything to do with the hitters. ive read that he's commanded the strike zone really well

Threads : 31

I realize Tabata and Veal are facing other minor leaguers in non-pressure situations. But it's encouraging they are performing well after a season with relatively no success at the major league level (Veal) and spotty success in the minors (Tabata). NH has high hopes for these guys.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Everyone needs to calm down a little about the Pirate prospects and the AFL. These are minor leaguers going against minor leaguers in non pressure games. Nothing more nothing less!
    I understand what you're saying, but I do not believe it to tell the whole story. First of all, ball players in any sport are by nature competitive. I do not think, then, that opponents aren't out there trying to perform well. Therefore, what we are really seeing is minor leaguers COMPETING against other minor leaguers who want to perform well. Well, in the end, isn't that exactly what all baseball is? A battle of "equals" who want to compete? Yes the AFL is a bunch of minor leaguers...but so are "our boys" and so in competition against their equals they are performing well. That's exactly what we should be wanting to see.

How much weight we give such performance versus full seasons and game in which they pitch longer etc. is certainly a valid point...but its not like the league isn't competitive because these guys are by nature competitive.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I do not believe it to tell the whole story. First of all, ball players in any sport are by nature competitive. I do not think, then, that opponents aren't out there trying to perform well. Therefore, what we are really seeing is minor leaguers COMPETING against other minor leaguers who want to perform well. Well, in the end, isn't that exactly what all baseball is? A battle of "equals" who want to compete? Yes the AFL is a bunch of minor leaguers...but so are "our boys" and so in competition against their equals they are performing well. That's exactly what we should be wanting to see.

How much weight we give such performance versus full seasons and game in which they pitch longer etc. is certainly a valid point...but its not like the league isn't competitive because these guys are by nature competitive.
    The AFL is a very competitive league with arguably the best collection of minor league talent in any winter league but again it's still minor leaguer against minor leaguer. I just tend not to get too exited about winter league baseball results.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The AFL is a very competitive league with arguably the best collection of minor league talent in any winter league but again it's still minor leaguer against minor leaguer. I just tend not to get too exited about winter league baseball results.
    But isn't AA or even AAA simply minor leaguer against minor leaguer?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    But isn't AA or even AAA simply minor leaguer against minor leaguer?

How long is the AFL season?
    Last edited by PittFaninVa; Nov-07-2009 at 10:49 AM.

No, it's never going to paint a full picture but like I've said there are definitely certain aspects of one's games that you can analyze from these offseason leagues and view as positives going forward. It's not all throw away.

Spring training IMO is complete garbage. I never quite understood the fascination with people and thinking that a good performance or bad performance in sprong training was meaningful in any way. Competition in the spring training is usually a joke. The good pitchers aren't using all of their pitchers, are generally working on something specific, like mechanics or delivery or a certain pitch. Good hitters are working on something specific as well. spring training is an awful wayt to measure anyone, one of the worst IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information