Thread: Roethlisberger and Pouncey earn honors

Threads : 440

Default Roethlisberger and Pouncey earn honors

Roethlisberger and Pouncey earn honors

PITTSBURGH — Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and center Maurkice Pouncey were named the 2010 recipients of the Pittsburgh Chapter of Pro Football Writers of America’s annual awards.

Roethlisberger was the recipient of the Pro Football Writers’ “The Chief Award”, presented annually to the member of the Steelers’ organization who best exemplifies the spirit of cooperation with the media, which was established in honor of Steelers’ founder, Arthur J. Rooney, Sr.

Roethlisberger, in his seventh NFL season, has completed 61.3 (225 of 367) percent of his passes for 2,920 yards with 15 touchdowns and five interceptions (94.3 passer rating). He ranks among the NFL’s best in several passing categories and is on pace to throw for over 3,000 yards, which would be his team-record fifth straight season of achieving the mark. Roethlisberger has a 68-29 (.701) career record as a starting quarterback and owns over 40 club records.

Pouncey, the Steelers’ first round draft pick in 2010, was the winner of the “Joe Greene Great Performance Award”, given to the outstanding Steelers’ rookie. He has started all 15 games and has been the anchor of the offensive line that has helped the Steelers average 121.6 rushing yards per game. Named to this year’s Pro Bowl, Pouncey became just the third Steelers’ offensive lineman to start the first game of his rookie season since the mid-1960s and has a chance to be the first offensive rookie for the team to start all regular-season games since wide receiver Ron Shanklin started all 14 games for Pittsburgh in 1970.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...5-c407bf3a7c90

Default Re: Roethlisberger and Pouncey earn honors

Roethlisberger, Pouncey proud of honors

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Two Steelers earned team honors as center Maurkice Pouncey was named the winner of the ‘Joe Greene Great Performance Award,’ given annually to the team’s outstanding rookie, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won ‘The Chief” Award for his cooperation with the media. Both awards were presented by the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America.

Pouncey, the team’s first-round draft pick out of Florida, has started all 15 games at center and has been the anchor of the offensive line.

“The Joe Greene Award is a great honor, especially named after a guy like that,” said Pouncey.

Pouncey attended the annual rookie luncheon this year, which honors the previous year’s top rookie. As Mike Wallace was accepting his award, offensive line coach Sean Kugler put the pressure on Pouncey.

“We all sat down at the same table talking it up, and he [Sean Kugler] looked me dead in my face and he was like, ‘You better win that award.’ So that’s all I was thinking about the whole season was getting that award for him. It means a lot.”

Pouncey was also voted in to the 2011 Pro Bowl, enjoying a successful week.

“Man it’s going great,” said Pouncey. “I can’t complain at all. It is really a proud moment for me right now, but if I could, I would give it all away for the Super Bowl.”

He credits his teammates and coaches, especially his fellow offensive linemen, for helping him have such a successful rookie season.

“They’ve been there every step,” said Pouncey. “Anything I have ever needed they are there for me. They always bring me up, giving me small pointers to work out there in practice. I give a lot of things to Coach Kugler. He’s been great to me. I come in on Tuesdays and I meet with him about the game plan, what we are going to run, the pass protections. He’s just always been there for me, teaching me how to be a professional football player.”

Pouncey became just the third Steelers’ offensive lineman to start the first game of his rookie season since the mid-1960s and has a chance to be the first offensive rookie to start all regular-season games for the Steelers since wide receiver Ron Shanklin started all 14 games in 1970. He is also part of an impressive lineage at center that includes Ray Mansfield, Mike Webster and Dermontti Dawson.

“Those guys are great,” said Pouncey. “I am nowhere near where those guys are. I am just trying to play up to their level. Like I said those guys are great players and I love them. I text Dermonnti Dawson back and forth. He gives me little things to think about. I watched a little bit of film on him. And he was a heck of a player.”

Roethlisberger stood at the podium accepting the Chief Award and talked about apologizing to some in the media during the spring for not being cooperative with them in the past.

He has made a huge turnaround and that is why he was voted the recipient of the award, which is presented to a member of the Steelers’ organization who best exemplifies the spirit of cooperation with the media, established in honor of Steelers’ founder, Arthur J. Rooney, Sr.

“I wanted to be genuine and tell all of you guys, who I have been dealing with for a long time, that I did apologize for not being the most cooperative in the world,” said Roethlisberger. “Anyway I think this is an awesome award. I appreciate it so much. Anything named after ‘The Chief’ or the Rooney family is an honor. So it is an honor.

“You guys know me. Any award I get I try to direct a lot of the attention to my teammates. I am not sure if I can direct it to my teammates, but I would if I could.”

Roethlisberger, who is the first quarterback to win the award, said he has a greater understanding of the job the media has to do.

“I see you guys every day,” said Roethlisberger. “It’s easy to get frustrated with you guys as it is for you guys to get with us. Not every article, story or news report is always positive. So it’s easy to get negative and get down on someone. But that’s not what this is about. We understand that you guys have a job as we do. And it’s probably just as grueling and as hard as sometimes we are out there. So we appreciate and understand the hard work and time you guys put in.”

Roethlisberger, who was suspended four games by the NFL at the start of the season, made an effort to make changes in his life and his dealings with the media were one of those things.

“The same point I said I need to be more cooperative with people, be a better person,” said Roethlisberger. “You guys are, as much as people like to joke, you guys are people. And we treat you guys that way. It’s just a change I wanted to make in my life and it’s towards you guys as well.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 44cfc4ed60

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pouncey, Ben honored

12/30/2010
    Pouncey, Roethlisberger honored
    By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer

PITTSBURGH - Some fans may not have forgiven Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but apparently, the Pittsburgh media has.

Roethlisberger on Wednesday was named the winner of The Chief Award, which is presented annually by the Pittsburgh chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America to the member of the Steelers organization who best exemplifies the spirit of cooperation with the media established by team founder Art Rooney Sr.

Center Maurkice Pouncey, who Tuesday was named to the Pro Bowl, was presented the Joe Greene Great Performance Award, which is given to the team's top rookie player each year.

It's the first time Roethlisberger has won the award and comes on the heals of sexual assault accusations in March in a Georgia nightclub that led to a suspension for the first four games of this season for violation of the league's personal conduct policy.

Roethlisberger admits that he had not always been open with the media, but felt that needed to change as part of his desire to clean up his life and image.

"I said I need to be more cooperative with people, be a better person," said Roethlisberger, the first quarterback to win the award in its 23-year history. "It's just a change I wanted to make in my life."

In his seventh NFL season, Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to two Super Bowl titles and owns over 40 team records.

But he was genuinely moved about winning an award named after the founder of the Steelers.

"Anything named after "The Chief" or the Rooney family is an honor," he said. "So it is an honor."

Pouncey, meanwhile, was all smiles after learning he'd not only been voted to the Pro Bowl, the first Steelers rookie since linebacker Kendrell Bell in 2002 to do so, but the team's rookie of the year as well.

"Man it's going great. I can't complain at all," said Pouncey, who has started all 15 games at center after being the team's top draft pick. "It is really a proud moment for me right now, but if I could, I would give it all away for the Super Bowl."

Roethlisberger isn't surprised that Pouncey was named to the Pro Bowl, but he was somewhat astounded that it happened so quickly.

"Preseason, you were like, 'Wow, this kid is going to be good.' Still, who knows how he can keep doing it?" Roethlisberger said. "Halfway through the year, you were like, 'Wow, he's gotten better. I know he can do this. But, he's going to hit a wall at some point.' It's Week 15 and he hasn't hit a wall yet.

"He's still getting better. It speaks volumes about his preparation, the time and effort he puts in, not just for his body and getting better, for his mind, knowing the game plan, knowing the defenses. He's here on Tuesdays by himself going over film. For a rookie, that's good."

Both Roethlisberger and Pouncey have been big contributors to the Steelers' 11-4 record as they head into Sunday's regular season finale at Cleveland.

A Pittsburgh victory at Cleveland would clinch the AFC North championship and secure a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

"All these awards are coming fast, but I'm not worried about it," Pouncey said. "I'm worried about Cleveland."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Odds and end zones[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley (knee) was limited at practice Wednesday. ... Safety Troy Polamalu (ankle), linebacker James Harrison (illness), running back Mewelde Moore (knee), linebacker Jason Worilds (knee) and defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) did not practice Wednesday.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...Roethlisberger
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

Default Re: Pouncey, Ben honored

I'm really glad Ben has seemed to be turning thinks around. Maybe in the long run what started out as a total disaster,will be for the best. Pouncey,I think the Steelers really struck gold here. He's the type who can anchor the line,barring injuries, for the next 14-15 years.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

On the Steelers: Roethlisberger a changed man

Thursday, December 30, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
    Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has not thrown an interception in his last 136 pass attempts.

As more evidence arrived that there is a new and improved Ben Roethlisberger off the field, the Steelers welcome one big change their quarterback has not made.

He is the same Big Ben on the field as in the past with a bonus tossed in this season, the lowest interception percentage of his career. Roethlisberger has thrown five interceptions, the fewest since he had nine in 2005, his second season. He has not thrown one in his past 136 passes, one of the longest streaks in Steelers history.

"To me that's one of the things that I want to pride myself in is not throwing interceptions," Roethlisberger said. "That to me is the worst thing. I'd rather have 5 percent completions and no interceptions.

"Interceptions drive me crazy. That's something I try to pride myself in. Just make sure I see the throw before I throw it. Sometimes you can't control balls that are tipped, balls go through hands, you can't control those. But the ones I control I want to take pride in not giving that team a chance to score."

Roethlisberger, who missed the first four games while suspended by the NFL for sexual assault allegations made against him in March, has picked up where he left off on the field. He has a strong 94.3 passer rating with 15 touchdowns, a 3-1 ratio to interceptions. He added three more winning drives in the fourth quarter/overtime this season to make it 25 for his career, including two in the postseason.

He has helped guide the Steelers, who have clinched a playoff berth, within a victory Sunday in Cleveland of securing the No. 2 seed in the AFC and a first-week bye in the playoffs.

Wednesday, the Pro Football Writers local chapter gave Roethlisberger "The Chief Award" presented annually to someone in the organization who follows the spirit of cooperation shown the media by franchise founder Art Rooney. He is the first quarterback in the award's 23 years.

It's not an award this quarterback would have won in past years, but he promised to be more forthcoming with his time and his attitude toward those who cover the team, and he did. It was, he said, part of an entirely new outlook he has taken toward people since the situation in Georgia that pitted him against a female college student and the subsequent punishment by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell prompted him to reassess his lifestyle.

"I said I need to be more cooperative with people, be a better person," Roethlisberger said. "As much as people like to joke, you [in the media] are people. And we treat you guys that way. It's just a change I wanted to make in my life and it's towards you guys as well."

Pouncey pounces
    The Steelers drafted Maurkice Pouncey in the first round in April to be their center of the future. Little did they realize the future would arrive in four months.

They put him at right guard to give him a chance to win that job as a rookie, but Pouncey convinced them he could be an overpowering center right away.

Wednesday, Pouncey was the unanimous choice by the Pro Football Writers as the team's rookie of the year, earning him the Joe Greene Great Performance Award to go with his Pro Bowl spot from the previous day.

Pouncey has started all 15 games and provided a beacon at center for the offensive line.

"It started up at camp," Pouncey said of his quick transition from guard to center, where he played virtually all of his career at Florida. "I was taking a lot of guard reps at first. And one day, coach [Sean] Kugler said I was going to be taking half the center reps. I kind of knew from there that I was going to move forward at that position."

He was so dominant at center that the Steelers wound up releasing Justin Hartwig, who started for them the previous two seasons.

Pouncey has been a lifesaver for an offensive line that lost both its starting tackles and replaced their starting guard midway through the season.

Mike Tomlin and his coaches were reluctant to put Pouncey at center because that position requires him to make the line calls for blocking and adjustments, difficult for any young player. Pouncey, however, showed a grasp of the offense early and developed a good rapport with Roethlisberger.

"I told you guys all along that he's one of the best in the game; he's going to be the best and the sky's the limit for him," Roethlisberger said.

The quarterback said that "everything" stands out about Pouncey.

"Physicalness, he's always downfield, he's always finishing, he's always trying to start a fight between every player -- that's kind of something you want; he gets back in the huddle when I tell him. But I think what's most impressive about him is his smarts, the mental part of it. He's in here watching film ... he should be hitting a wall right now but he's not. He's getting better every week."

Injury report
    There were no surprises as the Steelers went through their first practice since they beat Carolina, 27-3, last Thursday. Troy Polamalu (Achilles), Mewelde Moore (knee) and Jason Worilds did not practice. Neither did James Harrison, who was sick. LaMarr Woodley (knee) was limited in practice.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10364...#ixzz19d1hwZHG

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

D'oh!.... Told 'ya I'm a dumbass, hawaiian... Didn't see this thread till just now, so will merge the other one into yours since it's a different article....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great!!! Its been a while (I think) Maybe Ben since our first round pick has been on the field enough to win the joe greene award. Geez in 2008 wasn't it undrafted Patrick Bailey.

But I may have forgotten someone in there (Possibly Santonio Holmes?)
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great!!! Its been a while (I think) Maybe Ben since our first round pick has been on the field enough to win the joe greene award. Geez in 2008 wasn't it undrafted Patrick Bailey.

But I may have forgotten someone in there (Possibly Santonio Holmes?)
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Roethlisberger now a Pittsburgh media favorite

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 30, 2010

Much of the backlash against Ben Roethlisberger following his sexual assault allegations had little to do with his troubling behavior towards women.

Stories floated around of Roethlisberger simply being a jerk: To fans, to waitresses, to women, to men, to fellow players, and to the media. (Many of these stories were published; many weren’t. His reputation was in place well before the investigation in Georgia.)

When Roethlisberger returned to the Steelers, he promised a different approach. And it appears he has mended fences with one subset of people he may have previously offended: The Pittsburgh media.

On Wednesday, the Pro Football Writers chapter in Pittsburgh gave Roethlisberger “The Chief Award.” The award is given annually to someone in the Steelers organization that exemplified “the spirit of cooperation” with the media shown by franchise founder Art Rooney. Roethlisberger is the first quarterback to win the award.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette noted the accomplishment in an article titled: “Roethlisberger a changed man.”

“I said I need to be more cooperative with people, be a better person,” Roethlisberger said. “As much as people like to joke, you [in the media] are people. And we treat you guys that way. It’s just a change I wanted to make in my life and it’s towards you guys as well.”

Real change is lasting, so it will be interesting to watch Roethlisberger over the next few years. For now, those who cover Roethlisberger the closest wanted to show their appreciation for the changes he’s made.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...edia-favorite/

Threads : 60

It is good to see Ben stepping up and being the positive face of this team. As I always said and even when I wasn't in Bens corner at times, " I find it hard for any young person not to allow the fame/fortunes and all that Ben stepped into over night mind you and not get big headed. "

They had callers yesterday giving their opinions about Ben and some just keep blasting him with both barrels. Never can they see the positive or the possibility of he might be innocent.
    I'm very happy for his new found bright work.

I think Pouncey despite his position not one of glamour should, be the NFL rookie of the season.
    To me he deserves it and for once these people that vote could actually show they can look outside the popularity box.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information