Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's The Biggest Thing Standing in the Way of a Trip To The SB?

Threads : 49

Default What's The Biggest Thing Standing in the Way of a Trip To The SB?

OK, since some people are getting upset at the mere speculation of a repeat matchup with the Pats (God forbid!), here's another question - What's the biggest thing standing in the way of a trip to the SB? I really think the Steelers can be their own worst enemy depending on what the gameplan will be going into the playoffs. If the Steelers go the conservative route it'll be very hard to advance, IMO.

1. Gameplan/approach (By far my biggest concern)

2. ST's play. The ST's have been on a steady decline in the last month or so. This could be a deal breaker if it continues into the playoffs.

3. Injuries - How effective Troy and Aaron Smith are going to be.

4. Refs (that one is for you, NKy!)

Threads : 440

Default Re: What's The Biggest Thing Standing in the Way of a Trip To The SB?

That's the picture of a real genius right there!

Here's what is probably going on in his mind in that picture -

"5 Wide empty set, deep ball, 5 wide empty set, deep ball, 5 wide empty set, smoke screen...TD"

Threads : 691

To me,it's going to be problems in the redzone. We've all seen it, the Steelers come out in the first half,move the ball,control the clock,yet go into the half barely ahead or tied. If they could just turn some of those 3's into 7's,then it sets a tone. You can take a few more chances on "D" instead of playing it closer to the vest. When you let teams hang around it gives them hope.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's the picture of a real genius right there!

Here's what is probably going on in his mind in that picture -

"5 Wide empty set, deep ball, 5 wide empty set, deep ball, 5 wide empty set, smoke screen...TD"
    I made one correction for you:

"5 Wide empty set, deep ball, Run up the ****in' middle because the Rooneys said I have to run sometimes, 5 wide empty set, deep ball, 5 wide empty set, smoke screen...TD"

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I made one correction for you:

"5 Wide empty set, deep ball, Run up the ****in' middle because the Rooneys said I have to run sometimes, 5 wide empty set, deep ball, 5 wide empty set, smoke screen...TD"

Arians - "I'm just that good."

Good call, bucco. I totally forgot about the redzone problems. That's a big problem that hasn't really been corrected this year. One thing that kind of dawned on me just recently is that I don't think it's just the playcalling (or lack of execution) that is the problem inside the redzone. It's Arians overall vertical philosophy. Once the offense is inside the redzone that kind of philosophy becomes a bigger hindrance.

Threads : 691

Good call, bucco. I totally forgot about the redzone problems. That's a big problem that hasn't really been corrected this year. One thing that kind of dawned on me just recently is that I don't think it's just the playcalling (or lack of execution) that is the problem inside the redzone.[HIGH-LIGHT] It's Arians overall vertical philosophy. Once the offense is inside the redzone that kind of philosophy becomes a bigger hindrance[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    You and I see eye to eye here. There isn't that much field in the redzone for guys like Wallace to stretch out. If it were up to me,Ben would be under center in the redzone,with Mendy and sometimes Redman in the "PONY SET" Ben is one of the best I've seen with the play action,which would make heath Miller who I feel is the ultimate weapon in the redzone, that much more effective.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

4. Refs (that one is for you, NKy!)
    LoL!...

Well, let's start from the top.... I don't think that anyone is necessarily "upset" at your initial speculation about the Pats*, but moreso at a particular individual for repeated sentiments.

... I think all the points you've mentioned are valid concerns, as all have been issues in the past. But there hasn't been any pure consistency to them IMO. At least not enough to lose repeated games due to one simple answer.

As for the refs, yea, they have cost us some opportunities... It's not that I haven't agreed with the comments made when they've happened, it's moreso a mindset about not complaining about it and overcoming them, that's all... ...We think that we're the only ones getting bad calls, but it really is happening around the league to other teams as well.

... But I'll answer your question the same way I did in the other thread...

"What's The Biggest Thing Standing in the Way of a Trip To The SB?":

The Steelers themselves... Limit mistakes moreso than our opponent and we are there... Sure, we can have issues with the refs again... Sure, injuries will definitely play a factor if they occur... Sure, the ST's could falter (or any other faccet for that matter)... And definitely sure, the gameplan can crap the bed... But Arians has gotten us to the Super Bowl before, or should I say, we've gotten to the Super Bowl before "in spite of" him... So no reason to think we cannot do so again.

I honestly do not believe we've had "repetitive" problems to cost us multiple games in a row, so I can't say it's just one thing to stand in our way... Simply limit the mistakes and play smart...

... That's all I got...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I don't think that anyone is necessarily "upset" at your initial speculation about the Pats*, but moreso at a particular individual for repeated sentiments.
    Bingo, we have a winner. Too much for too long. Even after your warning.

I think turnovers play a huge role in who wins playoff games. Steelers take the ball away and we likely win. Steelers give the ball away and really tough sledding.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

"What's The Biggest Thing Standing in the Way of a Trip To The SB?":

[HIGH-LIGHT]The Steelers themselves[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Bingo. That pretty much sums it up in a broader context.

Another thing to keep in mind is how Ben starts off in the playoffs. At times this year Ben has gotten off to some rocky starts. It'll be interesting to see how he plays.

Also, if the Steelers do lose I hope it doesn't involve a horrible call at the end of the game. The fallout on here would be something else. I don't want the refs involved at all if it comes down to a late drive, etc. Way too many times in recent years the officiating has had some dubious influence late in games (not just Steelers games).

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    You and I see eye to eye here. There isn't that much field in the redzone for guys like Wallace to stretch out. If it were up to me,Ben would be under center in the redzone,with Mendy and sometimes Redman in the "PONY SET" [HIGH-LIGHT]Ben is one of the best I've seen with the play action[/HIGH-LIGHT],which would make heath Miller who I feel is the ultimate weapon in the redzone, that much more effective.
    Couldn't agree more. One thing that could improve the RZ problems is making the opposing defense unsure as to whether the play will be pass or run (pony set would help). It seems like the Steelers are WAY too predictable inside the RZ based on formation (5 wide, etc.).

Also wouldn't mind seeing some more PA rollout, inside or outside the RZ. Seems like the Steelers never call those anymore, even though those plays went for big gains in the past.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think offensive variations (or lack thereof) in general are a problem this year. We've seen a little more this past few games (Mendy ran left instead of up the gut a few times) but I wouldn't necessarily say that's Arians holding back for the playoffs - I think he's shouting random words and hoping they correspond with plays.

Other than that, my biggest concern is the soft D. Sitting a few yards off players and making the move after they've received the ball has been driving me bananas since October.

I'm hoping the ST gets its collective act together.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 20

Bingo. That pretty much sums it up in a broader context.

Another thing to keep in mind is how Ben starts off in the playoffs. At times this year Ben has gotten off to some rocky starts. It'll be interesting to see how he plays.

Also, if the Steelers do lose I hope it doesn't involve a horrible call at the end of the game. The fallout on here would be something else. I don't want the refs involved at all if it comes down to a late drive, etc. Way too many times in recent years the officiating has had some dubious influence late in games (not just Steelers games).
    That's why we need to outplay the officials. That means we need TDs when we get in the RZ.
    The more space we can create between them and us will be a good thing.

Two players who should be conspicuously absent for most of the game should be our FG kicker and our punter. It's OK if they are out there for XPs or KOs. But when you settle for 3 instead of going for 7, you needlessly keep inferior opposition in the game. This is where, if an adjustment in game plan needs to be made, you make it and throw the other team off-guard. The PA rollout is a gem that I haven't seen lately. A no-huddle wouldn't hurt either.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    Two players who should be conspicuously absent for most of the game should be our FG kicker and our punter.
    Couldn't agree more... And very well put...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 20

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    I think offensive variations (or lack thereof) in general are a problem this year. We've seen a little more this past few games (Mendy ran left instead of up the gut a few times) but I wouldn't necessarily say that's Arians holding back for the playoffs - I think he's shouting random words and hoping they correspond with plays.

Other than that, my biggest concern is the soft D. Sitting a few yards off players and making the move after they've received the ball has been driving me bananas since October.

I'm hoping the ST gets its collective act together.
    The key to ST is not kicking it directly at returners. If they need to run a distance to get to the ball, so be it. You might be giving them a running start. But you can also get your coverage in place that much more quickly.

And even if you kick toward the sidelines, if it goes out they still are only at their own 40. Our D should be able to handle that. It would be easier than risking a return and less wear on our coverage team. If we can't get the ball in the EZ (we won't anyway). In a weird way, that just might work if all else fails.

At the end of the day, tho, our biggest problem is over-pursuit and not staying in pursuit lanes. I'd rather give up a bigger gain and make sure the returner gets tackled than overrun the pattern and watch the guy trot away with 6.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information