Thread: Think We Need To Play Troy... Read Wolfie's Take

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Think We Need To Play Troy... Read Wolfie's Take

Wolfie's blog is a great little resource and he knows his stuff. Today, his argument for keeping a < 100% Troy out of the Clowns game.

http://craigwolfley.com/2010/12/steelers-ryan-mundy/

Steelers Ryan Mundy
    by Craig Wolfley on December 28, 2010

Troy Polamalu has the thing going on in his lower leg. According to Coach Mike, Troy is getting better and Friday will be the determining factor as to whether Troy participates in the Cleveland game.

If Troy is getting better over the two weeks that heís out, what about making it five weeks? Sounds good to me. The Steelers can win in Cleveland, get the bye and rest Troy for five weeks because Ryan Mundy is making plays filling in for Troy.

No, Ryan is not Troy. But the Carolina game convinced me that resting Troy and cutting Ryan loose on the field for another go is, in my most humble estimation, the best way to proceed. If Troy is 100%, sure, thatís a no brainer. But if heís anything less, Mundy can do the job.

According to Coach Mike, Ryanís play after the Jets game was ďabove the line.Ē The final Carolina game stats on Ryan read eight tackles, one pass defensed.

Mike Tomlin doesnít strike me as a man that is overly influenced by statistics, but more on what the end results of a manís work that shows up on tape. Including the ones that donít make the stat sheet. Ryanís work statistically, and on plays that donít warrant a stat both seemed above the line.

I watched from the sidelines when on an off-tackle run Mundy took on the 300-plus pound offensive guard Bernadeau of the Panthers, held his ground while setting the edge and turning the ball carrier back inside who was tackled for a short gain.

Or the time in the 4th quarter when locked up in man coverage with the TE Rosario on a play-action pass with a delayed release by Rosario, Mundy wasnít fooled and got inside position and knocked the ball down in the end zone.

Or the whack he laid on Stewart when Ryan came up from the secondary and delivered a big hit. Of course that cost Ryan a play or two of ďtimeoutĒ on the sidelines after he suffered a classic case of de-celeration trauma on that big hit.

Right now Ryan is more high voltage hits and testosterone than game brains, but game brains only come through reps and experience. It is the natural progression of young bucks becoming solid players. Ryan is right on schedule in that progression.

Whether Troy gets an extended holiday break or not, Mike Tomlin knows one thing. The young man Ryan Mundy can most definitely get it done.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 691

Default Re: Think We Need To Play Troy... Read Wolfie's Take

YUP!!!
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone made the comment about dressing Troy but not playing him unless it's necessary (i.e. we're having a tough game and Cincy falters against the Ravens)... I like this plan the best... Have him ready if needed, as he could come in during the 2nd half and make a serious difference if we're struggling... But I personally wouldn't be suprised to see Cincy smack the Ravens in the mouth, making the entire option moot... Cincy has beaten the Ravens at least the last 3 times (maybe 4 without me looking that far back), and have finished all of their "down years" with a flourish at the end...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone made the comment about dressing Troy but not playing him unless it's necessary (i.e. we're having a tough game and Cincy falters against the Ravens)... I like this plan the best... Have him ready if needed, as he could come in during the 2nd half and make a serious difference if we're struggling... But I personally wouldn't be suprised to see Cincy smack the Ravens in the mouth, making the entire option moot... Cincy has beaten the Ravens at least the last 3 times (maybe 4 without me looking that far back), and have finished all of their "down years" with a flourish at the end...
    Very true. For some odd reason, the Bungholes have the Rattards number. I do like the idea of dressing Troy. But Mundy has looked good and needs the PT. But, I like the idea of having him rested going into the playoffs. If we can get Troy, Smitty and Heath back in time for the first playoff game fully healthy, I think that makes a huge difference.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    I do like the idea of dressing Troy. But Mundy has looked good and needs the PT. But, I like the idea of having him rested going into the playoffs.
    ... Just have him dressed if needed... If we're smacking them, leave him on the bench... No harm, no foul at that point....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

sounds like Troy is going to play. man, if we can't beat the Clowns without Troy does it really matter?

Polamalu practices, but status for Sunday is unclear

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 1, 2011

The final decision regarding Troy Polamaluís status on Sunday will come down to Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

After returning to practice Friday after three weeks off from an Achilles injury, Polamalu sounds ready to give it a try. But the Steelers have to balance whether itís worth re-injuring their best player before the playoffs.

Polamaluís teammate Ryan Clark believes Polamalu will suit up. The Steelers desperately want a playoff bye so that players like Polamalu can get more rest.

ďIt would help me tremendously,Ē Polamalu said via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. ďIt would help a lot of guys on this team tremendously. Thereís guys that are just barely hanging on by a string, week by week. Unfortunately for me, that string broke and itís time for me to tie it back up there again.Ē

Polamaluís coach may not let him. Ryan Mundy has played well in place of Polamalu lately starting opposite Ryan Clark.

As important as Sundayís game is to the Steelers, the smart play seems to be to try to win without Polamalu and get him back 100% for the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ay-is-unclear/

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    sounds like Troy is going to play. man, if we can't beat the Clowns without Troy does it really matter?

Polamalu practices, but status for Sunday is unclear

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 1, 2011

The final decision regarding Troy Polamalu’s status on Sunday will come down to Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

After returning to practice Friday after three weeks off from an Achilles injury, Polamalu sounds ready to give it a try. But the Steelers have to balance whether it’s worth re-injuring their best player before the playoffs.

Polamalu’s teammate Ryan Clark believes Polamalu will suit up. The Steelers desperately want a playoff bye so that players like Polamalu can get more rest.

“It would help me tremendously,” Polamalu said via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “It would help a lot of guys on this team tremendously. There’s guys that are just barely hanging on by a string, week by week. Unfortunately for me, that string broke and it’s time for me to tie it back up there again.”

Polamalu’s coach may not let him. Ryan Mundy has played well in place of Polamalu lately starting opposite Ryan Clark.

As important as Sunday’s game is to the Steelers, the smart play seems to be to try to win without Polamalu and get him back 100% for the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ay-is-unclear/
    I like dressing Troy for tomorrow. But, if you don't need to play him, so be it. If Mundy can go and play well, Troy can keep his cape on. With the type of injury Troy has, is it really gonna hurt to get Mundy more PT?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like dressing Troy for tomorrow. But, if you don't need to play him, so be it. If Mundy can go and play well, Troy can keep his cape on. With the type of injury Troy has, is it really gonna hurt to get Mundy more PT?
    Dressing him is one thing, but I wouldn't mind him being dressed and hanging out on the sidelines. I mean, it's the Browns. Will Allen will be all we likely need against them. I'd rather not risk Troy getting re-injured against the Browns when we'll need him when we play some NFL teams
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 413

If Troy is getting better over the two weeks that he’s out, what about making it five weeks? Sounds good to me.
    Sounds good to me too. This is the most logical statement I’ve seen. If we can’t beat the Clowns without Troy (and the Clowns are not a complete walkover either), then maybe we don’t deserve to win the division.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information