Thread: Morehouse on board for Classic from start

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Morehouse on board for Classic from start

Penguins boss Morehouse on board for Classic from start
    By Kevin Allen
    USA TODAY
    12-30-2010

PITTSBURGH The NHL's decision to award the Winter Classic to the Pittsburgh Penguins could be viewed as the Penguins' reward for being loyal soldiers.

In 2007, when the NHL launched the Winter Classic concept, there was no line forming to host the outdoor game until the Buffalo Sabres stepped forward and no team was volunteering to be the visiting team until the Penguins said they would.

[IMGR]http://i53.tinypic.com/2s13tkl.jpg[/IMGR]"All that we knew is that it was something new, and we are in favor of that," Penguins President David Morehouse says. "We just think the more people who see the game, the better it is for the sport. So we took a chance."

He says he didn't anticipate how popular the game would be: "We didn't ask for enough tickets, and we got in trouble with our season-ticket base."

When Morehouse entered the Buffalo Bills' Ralph Wilson Stadium, he was overwhelmed by the romance of the setting. "I was standing next to the commissioner (Gary Bettman), right next to the rink, absorbing the atmosphere, and he said to me, 'You should think about hosting this some time,' and I said, 'We would like to host it next year.' "

The NHL opted for the historic venues of Wrigley Field and Fenway Park for the second and third Winter Classics, but NHL chief operating officer John Collins says he "wanted to repay the favor" to Pittsburgh for supporting the concept from the start.

"That first game needed more marketing sizzle, and Pittsburgh provided that," Collins says.

The NHL liked the Washington Capitals-Penguins concept because it added a heated rivalry and the league's top superstars to the mix. Collins says the NHL also liked the idea of rubbing elbows with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"PNC Park might be the prettiest park in baseball, but Heinz Field is the soul of Pittsburgh," Collins says.

It also helped the Penguins' bid that Morehouse is known as one of the top marketing team presidents in sports. If his name sounds familiar, it's because he worked in the Clinton administration and then played major roles in the presidential campaigns of Al Gore and John Kerry. It was Morehouse who delivered the news to Gore in 2000 that the Florida vote was too close to call and that he shouldn't concede.

In 2004, the Penguins brought in Morehouse to help them secure a new arena, and he was named team president in 2007.

"Dave is one of the club presidents who really gets it," Collins says. "(He) understands how to build a brand and how to engage a fan base."

Under his command, the Penguins are in the midst of selling out for a fourth season in a row.

"He is a guy who has flown on Air Force One, been overseas with President Clinton and been on two major campaigns," Penguins vice president Tom McMillan says. "But he's also the kid who grew up in the city and used to sneak into Penguins games to see Jean Pronovost and Syl Apps."

One of Morehouse's first moves as a Penguins executive was to strengthen his relationship with the Steelers. That helped when the NHL approached the football team about moving games to accommodate an NHL game in Heinz Field. Collins used to work for the NFL and knew the Rooney family.

"The idea of the NHL playing in an NFL stadium as iconic as Heinz Field is part of the majesty of the event," Morehouse says.

Morehouse has a charm that endears him to people.

"He was telling me stories about the campaign, and I was all ears," McMillan says. "I'm saying, 'I can't believe you heard this,' ... and he looked at me and said with a straight face, 'I can't believe you were in this office when Mario (Lemieux) told you he was coming back to play.' "

Morehouse has embraced the NHL's desire for the host city to have many events leading up to the game. The Penguins are hosting community skates, an alumni game, indoor games featuring their farm team and a youth tournament that features teams from Evgeni Malkin's and Sidney Crosby's hometowns. "We are even trying to get (Steelers great) Jack Lambert on skates," Morehouse says, laughing.

The Penguins are letting 10,000 people in for the alumni game, which features Lemieux.

"For us, one great thing about the Winter Classic is that because we are sold out it's hard for fans to see a game and now more people will get to see us live," Morehouse says.

There has been grousing that the Penguins have been in two outdoor games while others are lobbying to get in the event.

"I think it should go where it works best and where it has the broadest appeal," Morehouse says. "I can appreciate that some other clubs feel like it's unfair that we got it twice. But we also have the burden of having our players do things that players from other teams don't have to do. There are two sides to that sword."

He pauses, adding, "We take the responsibility of trying to promote the game very seriously. We don't think it's about us. We think it's about hockey."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-classic_N.htm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Morehouse on board for Classic from start

"PNC Park might be the prettiest park in baseball, but Heinz Field is the soul of Pittsburgh," Collins says.

If there is any "soul" with Heinz Field it sure as hell disappears in the month of January.

"The idea of the NHL playing in an NFL stadium as iconic as Heinz Field is part of the majesty of the event," Morehouse says.
    Let's just call it a "newer" stadium. Calling a 9 year old venue "iconic" seems too soon.

Had no idea whatsoever that Dasvid Morehouse had that sort of background. It really really puts into better perspective the Pittsburgh Penguins marketing machine how it is perhaps one of the best in all of north american sports. Everything they do is really on a personal level with the fans and they do more of it than other teams. Moorehouse's background really explains that desire to reach out to the supporters
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Moorehouse's background really explains that desire to reach out to the supporters
    Agreed... I never realized any of that about him until I read the article this morning... Actually, it's pretty cool that we have him... Also pretty cool that the Pens stepped-up for Classic #1 as well...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed... I never realized any of that about him until I read the article this morning... Actually, it's pretty cool that we have him... Also pretty cool that the Pens stepped-up for Classic #1 as well...
    Yeah I was really surprised that there was little to no interest for the first winter classic game. I mean, thjat was for the 3rd season back from the lockout when the NHL (and it still needs it) was trying to rebuild it's product up and every team really needed to do anything they could to gain bacvk interest. Surprising that teams would have been trampling each other to get that first Winter Classic
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information