Thread: Let it happen already...geezzzz

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Let it happen already...geezzzz

Steelers keep saying yes to no huddle, which is becoming Big Ben's favorite offense. No doubt Broncos may see Steelers’ no-huddle.
    By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
    Nov 5, 5:41 pm EST

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians hears Ben Roethlisberger’s campaign speech so often, he probably can recite it.

It goes something like this: “You know, I think this would be a good week for the no-huddle.”

Of course, Roethlisberger believes every week is a good week to run the offense he likes best.

“He’s lobbied every week for it,” Arians said Thursday.

No doubt Roethlisberger is especially eager to go to the no-huddle Monday night in Denver, [HIGH-LIGHT]given how much success the Baltimore Ravens had while running 31 plays out of no-huddle sets during their 30-7 victory [/HIGH-LIGHT]over the Broncos (6-1) on Sunday.

The NFL is a copycat league, and the Steelers (5-2) are aware of how the Ravens repeatedly kept the Broncos off balance by forcing them to keep their base defense on the field and preventing them from substituting situationally.

“It’s a possibility,” Roethlisberger said. “We’ll go into it with the mentality that we’ll go in with the game plan we’ve got and, if we need to go into the no-huddle, we’ll do it.”

In the no-huddle, the quarterback gathers the team at the line of scrimmage immediately after a play ends, makes the next play call there and sets everyone up properly before taking the snap, often in a shotgun formation. Usually, there’s not enough time for the defense to make substitutions.

“Baltimore ran the ball fairly good (out of the no-huddle),” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “They made plays … but we’re not going to go in with an identical game plan. We’re going to go in with what works for us. We’re us, and we’re going to work with what we do best.”

What the Steelers did best while beating Minnesota 27-17 on Oct. 25 was, coincidentally, running their hurry-up offense. Their only offensive touchdown came during a 91-yard drive that lasted slightly more than a minute and ended with Roethlisberger throwing a 40-yard scoring pass to Mike Wallace with 24 seconds left in the second quarter.

While operating in the hurry-up, Roethlisberger was 4 of 7 for 85 yards, with one incompletion coming when he spiked the ball. The rest of the game—the Steelers used the no-huddle on that drive only—Roethlisberger was 10 of 19 for 90 yards, partly because the Vikings kept using two safeties in deep zone coverage to discourage the pass.

“It’s something Ben likes to do,” Ward said. “It keeps defenses on their heels. … We’ve got a great feel for it and we’ve had some success running the no-huddle. It’s just a matter of whatever Ben calls, all 11 guys are on the same page and we move forward.”

Arians said this earlier season that virtually the entire offense can be run from the no-huddle.

“He can use almost 80 percent of the playbook in it, and he’s gotten very proficient with it,” Arians said.

Going to the no-huddle in Denver might be more difficult because the thin air I say do it and platoon all the RB's and WR's...all night long if need be. discourages teams from keeping the same personnel groups on the field for extended plays. A receiver who runs deep patterns on three consecutive plays, for example, is more likely to feel tired in Denver than if he were running the same plays in a dome stadium.

[HIGH-LIGHT]While Roethlisberger agreed it is different playing in Denver, Arians said he won’t let the altitude affect his play-calling—or whether the Steelers use the no-huddle.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

“It’s just a look that we use; we’ll see how it goes and this game is one in which it could show up a lot or it could not show up at all,” Arians said. “We’ll just see how the game goes.”

The Steelers are running the ball less than they have in any season in their history except 1991, which means defenses long conditioned to trying to take away the Steelers’ running game are increasingly playing a Tampa Two-like zone defense to discourage Roethlisberger from going downfield.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Using a no-huddle in Denver might help the Steelers get their running game going because it wouldn’t allow the Broncos to get extra defensive backs onto the field on certain plays.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    “We’re trying to be balanced,” Ward said. “If we can’t run the ball, we’re going to find whatever means we can to win ballgames. We’re going to stick with what got us to 5-2. We don’t worry about stats.”
    Last edited by bleedBnG58; Nov-06-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let it happen already...geezzzz

I love the Steelers in the no huddle, which is also Ben's winning drive method when the clock is running down.

Threads : 122

What got them to 5-2 wasn't the no huddle, it was worrying about trying to be balanced. They would be 7-0 if they used the no huddle more against Chicago and Cincy instead of taking their foot off the gas pedal. Blame the defense in both losses if you want.....but I also put blame on the offense totally shutting down and keeping the defense on the field for too long in the second half of both games.

“We’re trying to be balanced,” Ward said. “If we can’t run the ball, we’re going to find whatever means we can to win ballgames. We’re going to stick with what got us to 5-2. We don’t worry about stats.”

They don't need to try to be balanced. I could give a crap about 'balanced'. I give a crap about attacking a defense at its weakest point. If a secondary blows, why run it unless they are overcompensating to help their crappy D by dropping defenders and leaving the run wide open. That is my issue with Arians, and I guess Ben if he is calling a lot of the plays. Attack a teams weakest point.

You would NEVER see the Patriots roll into a game worrying about being 'balanced'. You would NEVER see the Colts roll into a game worrying about being 'balanced'. They attack a defense to expose its weaknesses. I will never forget the AFCCG here at Heinz when Brady threw at Willie Williams all day long when Willie gave a big cushion. There were what seemed like 4 or 5 3rd and shorts in a row where Williams would give a 10 yard cushion on 3rd & 4 and the WR ran a 5 yard out and Brady took a quick drop and rifled a strike for a 1st down before Williams could close. Did it all day long.

Arians also sucks at playcalling to set up plays. Like this past game vs. the Vikings we ran a few WR arounds. Why not then run the WR pass where it looks like the WR around and then we have Hines rifle a pass down the sideline to Holmes or soemthing. The Vikes were playing pretty aggressively in their secondary. WE didn't see any pump fakes on something underneath since the safeties were playing deep? The Vikes came out in the third quarter after halftime and were dropping their LB to help out in the secondary and Mendenhall was picking up huge gains on the one drive but we kept going away from him to pass. Why? They didn't bring guys up to stop him.

I keep saying it.....If Bruce Arians was a pitching coach and calling the pitches from the dugout....he would be flipping a coin. He would have no clue on how to set a hitter up. To me, you gotta do the same thing in football....you gotta set a defense up for the big play.....we don't do that. He is horrible at that.

I think that no huddle is a no freaking brainer for us to go to.....but I think Arians is too stupid to realize we blow teams up from the no huddle. We gotta be 'balanced'. I say go with what works best till someone adjusts and stops you. If they adjust, then something else is wide open.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hes lobbied every week for it, Arians said Thursday.
    ... Well, if it works, then Brucie-boy needs to listen to him a little more often on this subject.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... Well, if it works, then Brucie-boy needs to listen to him a little more often on this subject.
    That's what I am saying. And sorry, but if it is Tomlin being conservative to try and hold onto the 'Steelers Football' ideals......then he needs to shut his hole and let his 100 million dollar QB, 2 Superbowl MVP WR, Pro Bowl bound TE, 6'7" 270lb pass catching TE, Pass catching RB, and rookie phenom WR, do their mo fo jobs! The line isn't built for run blocking morons! Your QB ran the no huddle his entire college career! Get with it! Almost every single time we go no huddle we score! If we don't, it is almost always due to our own fault like dropping a pass, overthrowing a WR......

I personally don't think it is as much Tomlin as it is Arians... Obviously the decision ultimately comes from the top, but I have the feeling that Brucie wants to keep the no-huddle for "emergency situations" or use it in situational points... I don't know, but I don't like the utilization of it to this point.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

Can I say it?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    Can I say it?

Rrrrrrrrrrrrip away!....

Threads : 60

I think Ben has developed enough to have more authority by now. At least let the guy have a couple of games with his desires pleased and see how he does.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    What got them to 5-2 wasn't the no huddle, it was worrying about trying to be balanced. They would be 7-0 if they used the no huddle more against Chicago and Cincy instead of taking their foot off the gas pedal. Blame the defense in both losses if you want.....but I also put blame on the offense totally shutting down and keeping the defense on the field for too long in the second half of both games.

Were trying to be balanced, Ward said. If we cant run the ball, were going to find whatever means we can to win ballgames. Were going to stick with what got us to 5-2. We dont worry about stats.

They don't need to try to be balanced. I could give a crap about 'balanced'. I give a crap about attacking a defense at its weakest point. If a secondary blows, why run it unless they are overcompensating to help their crappy D by dropping defenders and leaving the run wide open. That is my issue with Arians, and I guess Ben if he is calling a lot of the plays. Attack a teams weakest point.

You would NEVER see the Patriots roll into a game worrying about being 'balanced'. You would NEVER see the Colts roll into a game worrying about being 'balanced'. They attack a defense to expose its weaknesses. I will never forget the AFCCG here at Heinz when Brady threw at Willie Williams all day long when Willie gave a big cushion. There were what seemed like 4 or 5 3rd and shorts in a row where Williams would give a 10 yard cushion on 3rd & 4 and the WR ran a 5 yard out and Brady took a quick drop and rifled a strike for a 1st down before Williams could close. Did it all day long.

Arians also sucks at playcalling to set up plays. Like this past game vs. the Vikings we ran a few WR arounds. Why not then run the WR pass where it looks like the WR around and then we have Hines rifle a pass down the sideline to Holmes or soemthing. The Vikes were playing pretty aggressively in their secondary. WE didn't see any pump fakes on something underneath since the safeties were playing deep? The Vikes came out in the third quarter after halftime and were dropping their LB to help out in the secondary and Mendenhall was picking up huge gains on the one drive but we kept going away from him to pass. Why? They didn't bring guys up to stop him.

I keep saying it.....If Bruce Arians was a pitching coach and calling the pitches from the dugout....he would be flipping a coin. He would have no clue on how to set a hitter up. To me, you gotta do the same thing in football....you gotta set a defense up for the big play.....we don't do that. He is horrible at that.

I think that no huddle is a no freaking brainer for us to go to.....but I think Arians is too stupid to realize we blow teams up from the no huddle. We gotta be 'balanced'. I say go with what works best till someone adjusts and stops you. If they adjust, then something else is wide open.
    Great post. I can only add to it, since everything else is dead on.

I think it was a few weeks back, can't remember, but Mike tomlin I think it was talking about how he wanted the Steelers offense to be modled after the Patriots offense. Basically an offense that can anything at any given time and do it really well.

When Tomlin said those comments, I was all for it. Why not try to be like an offense that can move the ball and score some points. You have the quarterback to do it. the more I think of it and then after reading MP's post the more I realized that Tomlin was talking more about how the Patriots can pass with success and run the ball with success. Tomlin just wants that success. I doubt he has ever looked into exactly HOW the Patriots are able to achieve that outside of video taping defensive hand signals and walk through's . so while you may want to achieve something, just having a guy that can throw well or a running back that can run decently and WR's that can catch the ball doesn't = the final result one is hoping for. Football is the ultimate chess match. to be successful you need to do all of those things that MP discussed. If you want to be like the Patriots offense you need to do what the Patriots do in game planning and play calling to achieve those results which is attack weaknesses, set up specific plays, don't run yourself into a brick wall time and time again etc...

Tomlin has never striked me as a strategy type of guy, especially when it comes to any of the responses he gives in an interview. Bruce Arians sure as **** isn't a strategy type of guy at all. We're pretty much not likely to see the things we want or should see. It's amazing though how guys can become coaches at the highest level like Bruce Arians and not understand simple war concepts

Definately Kipper. I have been talking about this since Arians first year here. Even back in the season we lost to the Jagoffs in the playoffs, the no huddle worked for us back then! Back then we seemed to come out in it to start games and would score in the first drive, and then go away from it for no reason. It is almost like anything that works, Arians does his ****ing hardest to never do it again. And really, the ******* isn't utilizing all of his weapons at all.

Matt Spaeth had 10 catches for 100+ yards last season when Heath was injured for 2 games. So what the hell happened to him? Did his hands get cut off to nubs? The guy is 6'7" 270lbs. Are you telling me he can't catch a pass in the redzone if you get him one on one with a 6' 190lb CB? What was the one TD catch the Cards TE had in the Superbowl? Oh yeah, a jump ball against a ****ing CB! Shawn McDonald almost had 1000yds receiving and 70 catches in a season but you don't go 4 wide with his *** at all from the no huddle and gun and rip teams new *******s? I haven't given up on Sweed either. The kid has dropped 3 passes. Yeah, 2 of them were bombs for TDs and that totally sucks, but the kid is 6'4" and gets open. I have a feeling he makes a couple of big grabs and you show some faith in him instead of tieing him to the whipping post and benching him for 4 game stretches he might produce. He totally kicked some *** in the preseason. He was going up and catching 15 yard passes over the middle and getting his *** kicked after making the catch and he was holding onto the ball. Get his *** involved from 4 or 5 wide sets a couple times a game. Throw him some 15 yard curls and slants and **** to get him involved.

Lastly, one last thing I want to point out. I think Ben is a great QB and we wouldn't have 2 SB rings in the past 4 years if it wasn't for him. But the guy is a greedy bastard when out on the field. He passes up a RB (Moore) who is wide open 10 yards downfield on 3rd & 8 and looks for the 20 yard pass. I have seen it at least 4 or 5 times and that is just when I saw it. I don't think Ben is the brightest bulb in the bunch. Against Minnesota there was one play where it was like 3rd & 4 or something and he started to scramble and there wasn't anyone within 10 yards of his dumbass so he easily could of scrambled and stepped out of bounds after 4 yards...but the dumb **** tried to throw it and it was incomplete. He doesn't have very good decision making skills sometimes. I mean with Manning & Brady you see a ****heap of timing patterns being run. You see at least 3 or 4 times during a game where you see those two identify where a WR is one on one with a CB and they just loft it as far as they can down the sideline to let their WR burn the CB and make a play. You NEVER see that with Ben. He NEVER has the forethought to see that Holmes or Wallace is one on one and lead them down the sideline so if they don't get to it, it goes out of bounds. His deep pass is ****ing underthrown about 98% of the time and that is because he is so visual. He has to see that his WR is open before he throws it and by that time he should of thrown it about 1 second before he does, so then his WR has to slow down to make the catch.

If BEn could keep from getting greedy and be a dumb **** and make the dumb pass....we could throw all day on teams. This is where Brady is good as hell. He is patient as hell so he will sit there and throw 5 or 10 yard passes all day on you. He will make the CB and S get jumpy and greedy. Once they get sick of having eight 5 yard passes completed in a row right in front of them and they try and jump the route, this is when he has the WR fake the 5 yard pass, then go deep. Ben would be great at this with his pump fake he has.

I seriously just want to meet Bruce ARians once and watch every game with him from this season, and just ask him what the **** he is doing...why we weren't doing certain things. I am not trying to claim I am a better coach than him or something. I am not a football coach. I am a god**** good fan though that knows his **** and watches games like I am studying what is going on. I rewind plays and rewatch games on DVR. I see this **** and know what I am talking about.

Where the **** is the sprint draw running play that was kicking *** in the preseason? That is the perfect run play from single back sets in the no huddle. Where is the designed swing pass to the RB out of the backfield? They don't run screen passes anymore cause their dumbasses couldn't figure out how to do it. They were running them like they were telegraphing it. Huge OL sprinting out into the flats and the RB standing there. Hell, my grandma could see it developing. They never figured out that you have two WR line up to the side you want to run the screen, have the RB line up as a sidecar in the shotgun. You have the WR run a fade for one of them and a deep slant for the other to run the CB and S off the LOS. Then you have your RB sprint up to by the OT and act like he is helping to block and pick someone up. If the OLB is coming, you chip him real quick and then peel out into the flat and catch the little dump pass from Ben. From there it is a foot race to the corner with a RB racing LB.

I don't know.....I just think Bruce Arians is a dumb **** and Ben loves him cause he is the first OC to let him do what he wants. Why would he talk **** on Bruce when Whiz was a total hardass cock and wouldn't let him freelance ****? Tomlin needs to sack up, tell Ben to quit getting ****ing greedy, and tell Bruce to stay out of Bens way.

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Rrrrrrrrrrrrip away!....

bruce arians is a dumb ****.

This week's game is one that it is extremely important to get out to a very fast start and score score score....

The Steelers have to have a mind set that they need to be up at least 15 points going into the 4th qtr this week.

With a back-up at safety and a thin D-line, combined with oxygen deprivation in the 4th qtr it is quite likely that Denver will score two cheesy TD's in the 4th.

Getting out to a very early lead and forcing Denver to become one dimensional by the 2nd qtr is vital.

Now...

The issue with the second half of the game is interesting too.

Should the Steelers have a 15+ point lead in the second half, they need to run that clock down and keep the defense off the field as much as possible to help keep that defensive unit fresh and ready to stomp.

That can still be done with a no huddle offense....

Granted they cannot use it on every series without it becoming repetitive and predictable, but it can still be used and work the clock at the same time.

Ben just needs to realize that he cannot wait until 1 second is left on the clock to snap the ball on every down.

2 seconds and three seconds is just as good as it will keep the Denver defense honest about coming off the ball.

Controlling the clock does not predicate that it is run on 1st and 2nd down either.

Short passes to Heath and Moore work just as well in running time off the clock.

Going no huddle suddenly in a series after using a huddle for a few downs can be very unbalancing for the Denver D.

Make their coaches second guess whether they can substitute.

/rant

I had the same thoughts, Black Jack, when heading in to face Minnesota. I thought their secondary blows, get up by 2 TD's on them by second half, force them to pass negating Peterson and putting the ball in Favres hands, then pin our ears and kick the old mans ***. He has shown to get flustered and start throwing sketchy passes after taking a few hits.

Instead we run no huddle once in the entire game and struggled unnecessarily which is become too frequent under Arians at OC. Reminded me of the Dallas game last year where we turtled up on O and tried to blow it as much as possible.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information