Thread: carolina's fox out as hc

sjdrewk

Default carolina's fox out as hc

Just reading off espn's ticker tape, it says HC Fox won't be back as Panthers hc.

Threads : 691

Default Re: carolina's fox out as hc

Fox era over: Panthers say coach will not return next seasonAssociated Press
    Published: Dec. 31, 2010 at 01:56 p.m. Updated: Dec. 31, 2010 at 07:27 p.m. Liked: 5 | Comments: 123 Email Like Print Read Discuss

Friend(s) Email

Your Email
    Send Email By Associated Press
    More Columns >

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- As John Fox left the practice field Friday, he insisted he has known about his impending departure for about two years.

A few hours later, the Carolina Panthers formally announced the end of the coach's nine-year run, in which he led the franchise to its only Super Bowl, saying the contracts of Fox and the rest of his staff will not be renewed after Sunday's game at Atlanta.

"I told John today that I appreciate everything he has done for us over the last nine years, but as happens in this business, it is time for both sides to move in different directions," Panthers owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement released by the team.

Chuck Burton / Associated Press
    John Fox has been the Panthers' coach since 2002. Sunday will mark his final game with the franchise.

John Fox's coaching record with Panthers
    Season Regular season Playoffs
    2002 7-9 None
    2003 11-5 3-1 (lost in Super Bowl)
    2004 7-9 None
    2005 11-5 2-1 (lost in NFC title game)
    2006 8-8 None
    2007 7-9 None
    2008 12-4 0-1 (lost in divisional round)
    2009 8-8 None
    2010 2-13 None
    Totals 73-70 5-3
    Fox's departure hasn't been a secret, and his last full practice at the Panthers' complex was an odd scene with the Meineke Car Care Bowl about to kick off just a few steps away at Bank of America Stadium. Fox gathered his team around him shortly before noon, with a burst of laughter heard from players as they broke toward the locker room.

"It's been a lot of great memories, a lot of fond memories, a lot of great relationships and something I'll cherish forever," Fox told reporters. "Now (I'll) just embark on the next chapter."

Fox was first denied a contract extension after the 2008 season. He entered the last year of his deal this fall after the Panthers began a youth movement that has left them an NFL-worst 2-13.

"It's not new," Fox said of his impending departure. "It's something I've been preparing for actually for a couple of years."

A rift had developed between Richardson and Fox since the Panthers' last playoff game, a 33-13 loss to the Arizona Cardinals in January 2009. Fox was more vocal this season in showing displeasure for several personnel moves that left Carolina short on experience and talent.

The Panthers have the league's last-ranked offense and have locked up the worst record and the No. 1 overall draft pick in April.

Fox, who is making more than $6 million this season, is 78-73 with Carolina, including the franchise's only Super Bowl appearance, after the 2003 season. But the Panthers have never posted consecutive winning seasons under Fox, who inherited a 1-15 team from George Seifert in 2002.

In his statement, Richardson didn't address what he'd be looking for in a new coach. Only Jeff Fisher in Tennessee, Bill Belichick in New England and Andy Reid in Philadelphia have been with their teams longer than Fox, who had been the New York Giants' defensive coordinator before joining the Panthers.

"While we haven't accomplished all of the goals we set as an organization when we signed him in 2002, we have certainly had our share of high moments -- the Super Bowl, two NFC championship games, and a division title in 2008," said Richardson, who hasn't answered questions from reporters in almost three years. "We wish John and his family the best going forward."

There was a light mood around Friday's practice, and cornerback Captain Munnerlyn said Fox never brought up his ouster with the players. Munnerlyn said by phone that the news was "shocking."

"It's sad, and it kind of hurts, too," Munnerlyn said. "These are the guys who have been coaching me since I came into the league last year, so you get close to them. It makes me sad to see them go."

Added tight end Dante Rosario: "It's difficult to see them go. It's not an easy thing to take."

It follows a theme of Panthers lining up to support Fox, who's known for being tough but also as a player's coach. Fox has been able to hold onto the locker room despite his lame-duck status and the team's poor record.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
    "I'll say this," Fox said before hustling inside after practice, "these guys have stayed enthusiastic and have continued to work very hard all season."

The Panthers will be without cornerback Chris Gamble (ankle), fullback Tony Fiammetta (ankle) and defensive tackle Ed Johnson (knee) against the Falcons (12-3), who need a win Sunday to lock up the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs.

Wide receiver Steve Smith (calf) also is questionable after missing practice Friday, further depleting a Carolina team that had serious deficiencies before it was hit with a number of injuries.

Armed with the No. 1 pick and a new coach, the Panthers hope to make a quick turnaround.

"I guess the owner and the general manager are trying to make this team better," Munnerlyn said, "so we have to put our faith in them."

http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story...e=HP_headlines
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

Last few years of Fox' tenure were without a legit qb. Just further proof that the NFL is such a qb driven league.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Their next coach should be Chucky.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1632

Another exceptional opportunity for Bruce Arians!!! please...

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their next coach should be Chucky.
    Possible. would make sense for them. Any Cowher rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Another exceptional opportunity for Bruce Arians!!! please...
    Not happening. as much as I'd like it, they wouldn't get permission IMO to interview Arians until after we win the Superbowl and firing Fox this early, they are going to be looking and interviewing right now. How knows, they could wait but I won't hold my breath nor will I hold out hope that an NFL team thinks Bruce Arians is worthy of being a HC. Better off hoping a division III college offers him a job
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1632

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I won't hold my breath nor will I hold out hope that an NFL team thinks Bruce Arians is worthy of being a HC. Better off hoping a division III college offers him a job
    Pitt?????

Oh God no...

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Possible. would make sense for them. Any Cowher rumors?

I haven't seen any and I think Cowher would like to probably stay in the AFC...however, I would rather see the Steeler-legendary coach, if he is going to return, go to the NFC.

Gruden has knowledge of the division and could do well with what they have in place already.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

sjdrewk

Is Houston's Hc Kubiak headed for Denver? Any rumors floating around out there? I heard an unfounded rumor that Cowher could end up in Denver if Kubiak goes for the Donko job. Why would Cowher go to Houston? What is the connection with Houston and Cowher?

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Is Houston's Hc Kubiak headed for Denver? Any rumors floating around out there? I heard an unfounded rumor that Cowher could end up in Denver if Kubiak goes for the Donko job. Why would Cowher go to Houston? What is the connection with Houston and Cowher?
    Nothing. Doesn't make much sense at all really.
    Hidden Content

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Nothing. Doesn't make much sense at all really.
    -that's what I thought when I read that rumor....they must have pulled it out of their ***. Houston would have to fire Kubiak first of all and I haven't heard anything on those terms and why would Cowher want that job? There is no connection.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The thing with Cowher is that he's mentioned on a few occasions that he doesn't want to go anywhere without a legit franchise QB. I don't see anyone that they have in Carolina being a legit franchise guy.

As for Carolina, Benny, I believe you think too much about knowing a division and AFC/NFC. Nobody really gives a **** about that stuff and it most likely has about 1% of a factor into any decision made by a GM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    -that's what I thought when I read that rumor....they must have pulled it out of their ***. Houston would have to fire Kubiak first of all and I haven't heard anything on those terms and why would Cowher want that job? There is no connection.
    Kubiak isn't a terrible coach. Their D sucks...and they need a 2nd receiver.
    Hidden Content

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information