Thread: Jordan Staal Will Play Tonight In The Winter Classic

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jordan Staal Will Play Tonight In The Winter Classic

He's Back
    Staal Returns to Lineup for Penguins in Winter Classic

Saturday, 01.01.2011 / 11:57 AM / Features
    By Sam Kasan

Penguins center Jordan Staal will make his much anticipated return to the lineup in the NHLs biggest stage of the season. Staal, who hasnt played a game yet in this campaign, will play for Pittsburgh in Saturday nights 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic at Heinz Field.

I feel ready and I feel ready to go, which I think is the same thing, said Staal, who has fully recovered from a broken hand. So its kind of funny how it falls (into place), me being ready for this game (the Winter Classic). Its very exciting and Im very happy to be back in the lineup.

Jordan is healed and every doctor will tell you his hand is good to go, head coach Dan Bylsma said. Its just a confidence issue getting back in the lineup for his first time out there. Were all going to see that tonight.

Staal is expected to start the game on the fourth line, but Bylsma said that he will see some action with Evgeni Malkin on his wing.

He will play on a line with Geno for parts of the game, Bylsma said.

Staal has dealt with two injuries this season that have sidelined him for the first 39 games of the year. First, he had battled a reoccurring infection following offseason surgery to correct a torn tendon in his foot.

The infection finally healed and Staal was set to return Nov. 3 at Dallas. But in a freak accident in practice, he was struck by a puck that fractured his hand. That setback has held him out of the lineup until now.

Its been a lot of ups and downs. About almost three times, I was ready to play and it got taken away from me, Staal said.

Hes had to tough go of it, Bylsma said. Hes had some tough injuries. Hes had to battle through that more emotionally than physically. Its been tough on him that way. The first one has to come some time.

Staal returned to practice Dec. 26 in Ottawa and the Penguins collective minds have determined that he is ready to go.

I think through the doctors, me and the coaches and trainers and everything, he said, I think everyone feels pretty comfortable with me getting out there and trying to get back into it.

No one is more excited about Staals return than himself. But his teammates come in a close second after having watched rehab aggressively with disappointed setbacks.

Were just happy hes back, captain Sidney Crosby said. Sometime it takes a little bit of time to get back in the swing of things. So Im sure its going to take a bit of an adjustment, especially with the time hes missed. Were happy just to see him back. Im sure well get a better feel for where hes at once hes out there. But to see him happy and see him healthy, thats the most important thing.

Hes a really key piece on our team, especially on the PK, defenseman Kris Letang said. He can shut down the top line on every team. Hes always the first guy back in our zone to help (the defense) out. Its going to be a great help to us tonight.

In a few hours, Staals six months of intense and persistent rehab are about to pay off.
    Now that its finally here, it doesnt even really seem real yet, Staal said. I know as soon as I get out on that ice and play a couple shifts, itll really sink in. It gives me chills now, and Im really excited for it.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Jordan Staal Will Play Tonight In The Winter Classic

I'm going to guess that Staal will play in place of Asham/Godard and float between the 4th and 2nd line?

Threads : 413

If you believe in omens, this is a bad one. The game gets postponed because of the weather and his return debut once again is delayed. Personally, I’m glad he’s back.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you believe in omens, this is a bad one. The game gets postponed because of the weather and his return debut once again is delayed. Personally, I’m glad he’s back.
    i just worry about him skating on that ice coming off the main injury. it could be lumpy out there...

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They better not break up the Buzz line!

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    They better not break up the Buzz line!
    Outside of the Crosby line, I don't care what happenes. None of the rest are really producing and we have such an abundance of grinders/energy guys that they wioll form chemistry pretty instantly.

My question is who gets sent down with Staal's return? As of right now I counted 25 on the roster including Staal. I assume Comrie is IR so he doesn't count which brings the number to 24

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope he is not coming back just to play in this game. He better be 100% healthy. That said, it will likely take a while for him to get back up to game speed, etc.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Personally, I'm glad he's back.
    .... Me too.....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information