Thread: Troy will start v. Stains

sjdrewk

Default Troy will start v. Stains

I just heard Straight from Michael Smith of ESPN.

Threads : 691

Default Re: Troy will start v. Stains

Heard that as well. Let's hope it's the right call.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

As much as I would like for him to play, I'm a little nervous about it.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had read/heard it earlier this morning that it was almoast a certainty so i penciled him into the GDT lineup

Not sure how I feel about it in general
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

sjdrewk

I didn't hear about it until about 10 minutes ago. I'm mixed as well in that I feel this Stains game is a must win so I'd like to have our best player on D out there but at the same time it is a huge risk . What if he re-injures his achilles and is out for the playoffs?

Threads : 691

[QUOTE=sjdrewk;145160]I didn't hear about it until about 10 minutes ago. I'm mixed as well in that I feel this Stains game is a must win so I'd like to have our best player on D out there but at the same time it is a huge risk[HIGH-LIGHT] . What if he re-injures his achilles and is out for the playoffs?[/[/HIGH-LIGHT]QUOTE]

They are no doubt leaving themselves open for some second guessing.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if he does get hurt again, that's that....no ring #7.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And if he does get hurt again, that's that....no ring #7.
    I have complete and utter faith in Ryan Mundy.lol

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he should sit this one out........rather have him rest one more week and be that much more healthy for a playoff run..........may need some divine intervention here...
    Last edited by Hambert5958; Jan-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 49

Hopefully Troy can sit in the 2nd half if the game isn't close.

It's a tough call, but this game is huge. This is almost a must-win game if the Steelers are going to the SB this year.

Threads : 440

Polamalu's return makes defense whole

Monday, January 03, 2011
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CLEVELAND -- You have to give Steelers linebacker James Farrior credit. He keeps coming up with new ways to describe safety Troy Polamalu and what he means to the defense. One week, he called him "the most instinctive player I've seen at any position." Another week, he praised his football I.Q.: "He studies so hard and prepares so well that he knows what the other team is going to run." Finally, in what seemed like the topper a few weeks ago after Polamalu returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals, he gushed, "He's the best player I've ever been around, bar none."

But Farrior was there again Sunday, ready for the Polamalu question after Polamalu made one of the two big plays that led to a satisfying and playoff seeding-pleasing 41-9 win against the woeful Cleveland Browns. He didn't disappoint.

"Having him back there changes our whole attitude as a defense," Farrior said. "He keeps doing what he's doing and it gives us a different type of confidence. I don't know what it is. With him back there, there's just this feeling that everything's going to be all right."

So it was for the Steelers in a game that wrapped up their AFC North Division title and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

Polamalu said he was told by coach Mike Tomlin Saturday that he would play. He had aggravated a lower leg injury on that second-quarter interception return against the Bengals and, though finishing that game, missed the next two against the New York Jets and Carolina Panthers. There was speculation Tomlin would keep him out against the Browns to make sure he was ready for the playoffs, but Tomlin said it was an easy call to play him after he was cleared by doctors.

"Early in the week, I didn't think he'd make it," Farrior said. "But I talked to him later on and he said there was no way he was missing this game."

Polamalu came through it just fine, calling it a day at halftime when the Steelers led, 31-3. "I felt really good today ... a lot better than I thought I would." But even if Polamalu had hurt his leg again, it would have been the right decision to play him. You can't take anything for granted when a first-round playoff bye and a second-round home game are at stake.

It didn't take Polamalu long to make an impact. On the Browns' second play, he made a diving interception at the Steelers' 44 after the ball bounced off tight end Benjamin Watson's hands. Tomlin and Polamalu made it sound so easy, almost lucky, both saying that Polamalu was "in the right place at the right time." But it's not luck when the big plays keep happening.

"He never misses his opportunities," Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "You'll see other guys drop an interception. He ain't dropping it."

Do you think the interception inspired the Steelers?

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mike Wallace on the next play and the rout was on.

The interception was Polamalu's seventh this season, matching his career high set in 2008, when, coincidentally, the Steelers blew out the Browns in their final regular-season game to take the division title and the No. 2 seed for the playoffs. They went on to win Super Bowl XLIII.

I'm just tellin' ya.

"Like coach Tomlin said, this [division championship] is just a piece of hardware you pick up along the way to where you want to go," Polamalu said.

That would be to Super Bowl XLV Feb. 7 in Dallas.

"Now," Polamalu said, "the tournament starts."

If there were any doubts that Polamalu would be ready even after his interception, he put an end to them by nearly making a spectacular athletic play on the first play of the second quarter. Remember how he timed the snap perfectly and leaped over Tennessee guard Leroy Harris to tackle quarterback Kerry Collins for a 1-yard loss on a sneak way back in September? He almost did the same thing to Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, jumping over the left guard-center gap to get "a piece of his shoulder pad" as McCoy scurried away to safety.

"A lot of things go into a play like that," Polamalu said. "Part of it is guessing. Part of it is film study. Part of it is trying to get in coach [Dick] LeBeau's head to try to figure out what he's thinking with his defensive call ...

"But most of the time, it's just guessing."

You should have seen Polamalu grin.

It seemed like everyone in the Steelers' locker room was grinning.

The great Polamalu had made it through the afternoon healthy and will be ready to go in that first playoff game.

Now, all of Steelers Nation is grinning.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11003...#ixzz19x7agytg

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Amazing how he is always in the right spot. In his 2nd play he negates the defered kickoff with his int, which directly led to the bomb to Wallace for the 7-0 lead. How many safties can you say you can't win a Super Bowl without? Just Troy.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information