Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ~Farewell to Viz~

Threads : 55
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ~Farewell to Viz~

Fair Winds And Following Seas...
    Aweigh And Aweigh...
    For All Who Wander Are Not Lost...

Harry W. "Bill" Shanaberger, age 71, of Uniontown, PA, passed away peacefully on Friday, November 5, 2010 at home, surrounded by his loving family.

He was born on March 10, 1939 in Uniontown, PA., son of the late Harry Omer Shanaberger and Mary Catherine (Lucas) Shanaberger.

His parents preceded him in death.

Left to cherish his memory is his loving wife of 45 years, Ruth (Hunt) Shanaberger; their children: James C. " Jimmy" Shanaberger and wife Paula of Lemont Furnace, PA; W. Michael "Mike" Shanaberger and wife Kelley of Marion, OH; Toni Lynn (Shanaberger) Thomas of Uniontown, PA; eight grandchildren: Airman Andrew Shanaberger USAF and wife Brandi, stationed in Wichita, KS; Kayci Lauren Shanaberger, Noah James Shanaberger, Kailee Dawn Shanaberger, Payton Noel Shanaberger, Hannah Morgan Shanaberger, Madison Paige Thomas and Brian Scott Thomas; two great-grand-children, Jalyn Lee Shanaberger and Autumn Rose Shanaberger; a brother, James R. Shanaberger and loving companion Terry Hurst of Uniontown, PA; dear sisters-in-law: Ethel Clements and Sarah Smitley both of Uniontown, PA and Claudette Hunt of Homosassa, FL; many special nieces and nephews and their families; and many, many friends.

Before retirement, Bill was a Certified Nursing Assistant employed with LaFayette Manor Nursing Home for 31 years. He proudly served his country during the Vietnam War as a Medic with the United States Army, and was a member of Vietnam Veterans Inc. of Fayette County, where he served as Chairman of the POW/MIA Committee. He also was a member of George C. Marshall AMVETS Post 103, Hopwood and American Legion Post 51, Uniontown.

Bill was a loving Husband, a devoted Father, Grandfather, and Great-Grandfather; and a friend to many.

His patriotism, love of country, and concern about the welfare of his fellow veterans will always be remembered.

Memorial contribution may be made to the National League of POW/MIA Families, 5673 Columbia Pike, Suite 100, Falls Church, VA 22041 or www.pow-miafamilies.com.
    Last edited by Kipper; Jan-06-2011 at 07:27 AM.
    Hidden Content

"PAPPY" 39~10
    ~ICP 010~

Threads : 55

Default Re: ~Farewell to Viz~

We all grieve in odd ways and in ways least expected.
    Safely, through this board community, we have come to know about each others personal lives and experiences, we have shared knowledge, we have shared humor, we have offered advice and have taken the same in growing friendship.
    Through the years here, I have come to realize,
    Bill's lesson in his life to teach were: humor, kindness, acceptance, compassion, tolerance and service to others.
    Simply that friendship is easier taught than learned.
    Simply that friendship was easier learned through his offered best example.

You may all count on, that I will always offer my best example.

Threads : 32
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow....Very Well Said, Keystoner!!!!!!!!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Signature by Viz...and in memory of him, Bill Shanaberger 1939-2010

Threads : 32

To Viz!!!!!!!!

He gave so much of his time and creativity to this site........we here will surely miss him in many ways!!
    I wish I could have met him when he invited some others to meet up for a Steelers game or maybe it was a BBUUCCCOOOSS game....I wish I woulda taken up the offer.....Life is so short and I would have benefited to meet Bill Shanaberger and I am sorry I did not............

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Signature by Viz...and in memory of him, Bill Shanaberger 1939-2010

Threads : 102

****. IŽm just now getting caught up and it seems the worst has been confirmed. I did see some condolences posted here as well as a "farewell" thread, so if yinz donŽt mind, IŽll post this twice.

I first "met" Viz at the Trib. His posts always stood out because of the unusual fonts he would always use. Some people would find such things as obnoxious, annoying or a cry for attention. I took it completely differently. It was a trademark. A trademark for a guy who had so much to say and was enthusiastic about those things that he wanted to share it with everyone. In this hum-drum, roll with the tide world such traits are rare and should be embraced when presented. Thank you Viz for being yourself.
    IŽll always remember Viz for his fonts, but also for being one of the very,very,very few that would accept the opinions of us "sports forum posters" when we would voice ourselves in the "news" forums. Plus, he would always come out of those "news" forums and have a little fun in the more light-hearted threads. Naturally, he would do so in his own particular way of posting, which gave the forums a more "familiar" feel to them.
    Viz, your contributions to the Trib, the former forums, and our new home here will never be forgotten. Thank you for sharing a part of your life with so many that (unfortunately) never personally met you. May you keep the other side as colorful as you did the online world with your posts until we meet for the first time (but not really.)

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm still deeply saddened by this. Viz's passing as truly choked me up.

I never knew Viz in the Trib days. When the Trib shut down I went undercover to the sites that the Trib mentioned on their site and pm'd every name I was familiar with seeing at some point. Viz was over at the Steeler Nation website/Board and the Mods and Admins there were brutal with him all because he liked posting pictures and used a different colored font. I pm'd him and told him he could come over and post (at the time The Buccos and Steelers Forums) and type in blue and post whatever pictures he wanted. He took me up on the offer.

From there we became online friends. Viz was one of the first people to migrate from Toro's boards (Steelrs/Pens/Bucco's Forums) over here and the one thing he wanted was that the old crew were together. He was in constant contact with me to get Ranrod and Seadog Dave over here and to have this online bar thread evolve like it did at the Trib and Bucco's Forum. He cared about unity and friendship and that was what he was trying to achieve and that was what I helped him try to achieve here.

In the end I'm glad this Thread became "Viz's Place" because it always was and I'd like to continue to carry it out and continue this bar thread as "Viz's Place" in his memory.

R.I.P. Viz!!
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 82

Rest in peace Viz

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I too remember Viz from the steelernation board and wittnessed the **** they blew him for his fonts and pictures. He never stooped to their level but he said what he had to say in his affable manner. His treatment by the mode over there is what led to my departure and allowed me to find the pirates/steelers forum. You could say that Viz led me here. Thanks Viz for all the memorable posts. I enjoyed reading everything you wrote.
    Last edited by Steelreign; Jan-06-2011 at 02:16 AM.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 70

Very sad news, RIP Viz
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 1632

To Viz/Bill/Pappy

Rest In Peace friend.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow! I remember Viz well from the politics forum in the old trib days. Like, beerman said, no one knew exactly what he was. At first I was under the assumption he was some sort of CIA Artificially intelligent forum bot that unleashed strange posts, with funny images and fonts, but after a couple years, he definitely grew on me. Anyway, sad to hear he passed on. I always assumed he was in retirement, after I realized he wasn't a forum bot : )..

****. life is short, I guess, and yeah, he was a real character.

Threads : 20

It's always a sad day when a great American passes, not to mention a fellow Steeler supporter.

I didn't know Viz that well. But I do remember his posts, if mostly only for the wild fonts.

But, I know that I always learn a lot by reading through the death notices. It always gives a great snapshot into what a person is all about. After reading Bill's notice, I'm sure I would have relished getting to know him. He was a patriot and I thank him for his service to our country. And I admire his dedication to family, to veterans and to the Steeler Nation at large.

R.I.P. Bill. And may Viz always live on these pages
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 22

Funny how a forum like this can bring people together on a personal level, and how you can feel when one of your "family" passes on.

RIP Viz

Threads : 20

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    I am in a thousand winds that blow,
    I am the softly falling snow.
    I am the gentle showers of rain,
    I am the fields of ripening grain.
    I am in the morning hush,
    I am in the graceful rush
    Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
    I am the starshine of the night.
    I am in the flowers that bloom,
    I am in a quiet room.
    I am in the birds that sing,
    I am in each lovely thing.
    Do not stand at my grave bereft
    I am not there. I have not left.

Thanks for the many countless memories you have left myself and the countless others here and in life who you left an impact on Viz. I always enjoyed coming on here and reading your posts and insight, even though most of the posts I lurked in. Every day this board operates, and we continue to post regularly, we will do so with heavy souls knowing you're watching from a better seat in the house. However, we all have solice knowing this is a place you helped grow to what it is today, and knowing you as you were, you'd have it no other way.

See you on the other side brother.
    Last edited by TX Longhorn; Jan-05-2011 at 08:12 AM.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

sjdrewk

Viz was a nice guy. I'm sorry to hear the news. RIP, Viz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information