Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ~Farewell to Viz~

Threads : 215

Default Re: ~Farewell to Viz~

Viz, Until we meet.........................................

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll be honest I don't recall him but I'm not on this site too much. He sounds like a great guy from how you guys speak of him.
    I'm sorry that he is gone and that I missed my chance to interact with him. My prayers go out for him and his family.

Threads : 32
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I can correctly post this pic, Bill is 3rd from the left....if the article about him was not posted, I will post it as well.........

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Signature by Viz...and in memory of him, Bill Shanaberger 1939-2010

Article that accompanyed the photo:

Ceremony pays homage to those involved in Pearl Harbor attack
    By Tara Rack-Amber, For the Herald Standard
    12/08/2008
    Updated 12/08/2008 08:19:46 AM EST
    Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly

Austin Murphy, a P.F.C. in World War II and a 2nd Lt. in Korea (left), forms an honor guard during the Pearl Harbor Anniversary Rememberance Program in Uniontown on Sunday. (Vanna Weaver)

As the wind whipped through the cold December air, people gathered at the North Union VFW Post 8543 Sunday to pay homage to those involved in the attack on Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941.

"I remember what I was taught," said Ed Fike, mayor of the city of Uniontown. "What Franklin Delano Roosevelt said about Pearl Harbor, 'A date which will live in infamy.'"

This day of infamy began when Japanese military forces surprise attacked the United States military base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. This attack launched America into World War II, which was already underway throughout other parts of the world.

The attack not only wounded American forces, but the lives of many Americans were affected as 2,403 people were killed. "The young men and women not only gave up the lives they were living, but also the lives they might have lived," said Fike. "A life watching their children and grandchildren grow up."

County Commissioner Angela Zimmerlink took part in the ceremony by offering her gratitude to all veterans. "Thank you to each and every veteran that is here today and those who have fallen," she said. "Without you, we wouldn't be here today."

Representative Tim Mahoney paid homage to the World War II generation. "People say this is the greatest generation, and I think people of this current generation should take notice to the generations of the past," he said.

Bea Dyer of Uniontown sang two songs during the ceremony.

One was "The Star Spangled Banner" and the other was an emotional song called "My Buddy" that tells of the longing for a friend that has since passed away.

Lou Giachetti, the master of ceremonies and comrade of the United War Veterans, invited his 12-year-old grandson, Michael Giachetti, to read "Remember Our Flag" a poem by Jack Doyle, of the USS Tennessee.

The ceremony concluded with the lowering of the flag to half-mast, a firing squad and the playing of "Taps."

"I want people to remember Pearl Harbor and what a tragic day it was," said Lou Giachetti. "I also want them to take away a sense of pride, dignity and patriotism."

Giachetti's hope for remembrance echoes the sentiments expressed in Doyle's poem:

"I think of Pearl Harbor ...

As they burn the flag today,

If those who died could speak to us

I wonder what they'd say?

Yes, some may burn the flag today

For which my comrades died

But I shall look upon that flag

With honor, love and pride."

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/n...d=480247&rfi=6
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Threads : 33

Quote Originally Posted by ranrod7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I can correctly post this pic, Bill is 3rd from the left....if the article about him was not posted, I will post it as well.........

Thank you good friend... for the photo and the added story. From Dom, the Sports Guy from Jersey

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    I'll be honest I don't recall him but I'm not on this site too much. He sounds like a great guy from how you guys speak of him.
    I'm sorry that he is gone and that I missed my chance to interact with him. My prayers go out for him and his family.

You should be on this site more!

The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Article that accompanyed the photo:

Ceremony pays homage to those involved in Pearl Harbor attack
    By Tara Rack-Amber, For the Herald Standard
    12/08/2008
    Updated 12/08/2008 08:19:46 AM EST
    Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly

Austin Murphy, a P.F.C. in World War II and a 2nd Lt. in Korea (left), forms an honor guard during the Pearl Harbor Anniversary Rememberance Program in Uniontown on Sunday. (Vanna Weaver)

As the wind whipped through the cold December air, people gathered at the North Union VFW Post 8543 Sunday to pay homage to those involved in the attack on Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941.

"I remember what I was taught," said Ed Fike, mayor of the city of Uniontown. "What Franklin Delano Roosevelt said about Pearl Harbor, 'A date which will live in infamy.'"

This day of infamy began when Japanese military forces surprise attacked the United States military base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. This attack launched America into World War II, which was already underway throughout other parts of the world.

The attack not only wounded American forces, but the lives of many Americans were affected as 2,403 people were killed. "The young men and women not only gave up the lives they were living, but also the lives they might have lived," said Fike. "A life watching their children and grandchildren grow up."

County Commissioner Angela Zimmerlink took part in the ceremony by offering her gratitude to all veterans. "Thank you to each and every veteran that is here today and those who have fallen," she said. "Without you, we wouldn't be here today."

Representative Tim Mahoney paid homage to the World War II generation. "People say this is the greatest generation, and I think people of this current generation should take notice to the generations of the past," he said.

Bea Dyer of Uniontown sang two songs during the ceremony.

One was "The Star Spangled Banner" and the other was an emotional song called "My Buddy" that tells of the longing for a friend that has since passed away.

Lou Giachetti, the master of ceremonies and comrade of the United War Veterans, invited his 12-year-old grandson, Michael Giachetti, to read "Remember Our Flag" a poem by Jack Doyle, of the USS Tennessee.

The ceremony concluded with the lowering of the flag to half-mast, a firing squad and the playing of "Taps."

"I want people to remember Pearl Harbor and what a tragic day it was," said Lou Giachetti. "I also want them to take away a sense of pride, dignity and patriotism."

Giachetti's hope for remembrance echoes the sentiments expressed in Doyle's poem:

"I think of Pearl Harbor ...

As they burn the flag today,

If those who died could speak to us

I wonder what they'd say?

Yes, some may burn the flag today

For which my comrades died

But I shall look upon that flag

With honor, love and pride."

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/n...d=480247&rfi=6
    Thanks ran! Good find as well
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

"Pappy" sent that photo and article to me right when it ran in the paper......I always saved it....BUT...it took Dom, aka Sports Guy to encourage me to post it all, cause I am not real good with the photo stuff.......Glad I did and I hope all the others come back to this thread and see/read it!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Threads : 27

I remember seeing that photo! Glad you found it.

Threads : 47

I never knew Viz, but I firmly believe that a person is judged by the opinions of others, and it is clear that the others had a very high opinion of Viz.

Godspeed SIR

Threads : 87

I'm sorry to hear this. I remember Viz. I didn't know him personally, but from reading his posts before, he seemed like a unique individual. RIP VIZ.

This is a sports forum after all, so Kip, how about a suggestion. Why not have a ring of honor for our teammates who have passed on?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information