Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting QB?

Threads : 3
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Starting QB?

Sure, the season doesn't start for another 3 months but I'm not going to let that stop me from wondering who will be leading the Power offense through their inaugural season.

Coach Chris Siegfried has allready declared Bernard Morris will enter training camp as the starting QB but Siegfried also stated he would bring in another QB to challenge Morris. And with the signing of Anthony Morelli days later, the starting QB competition began.

Bernard Morris, a 3 year starter for Marshall University (05-07), in his senior year threw for 17 TD's, 10 INT, and 3,149yds with a completion percentage of 63.6%. He also ran for 488yds and 4TD's. After his collegiate career came to an end, Morris played for the Arkansas Twister under head coach, Chris Siegfried and then for the Jacksonville Sharks under offensive coordinator, Chris Siegfried. Morris did not start any games as QB for either team but proved to be a team player by playing multiple positions on defense, special teams, and offense. Siegfried has made it clear though, Morris signed with the Power only for his QB abilities.

Anthony Morelli lacks Morris' prior arena football experience but was the starting QB for a much bigger school than Marshall. Morelli started 2 year for the Penn State Nittany Lions. In his senior campaign, he threw for 19TD's, 10 INT, 2,651yds with a completion percentage of 58.2%. Keep in mind, Penn State faces much tougher competition than Marshall does.

Only one of these two players will receive the privilege of leading the Pittsburgh Power against the Philadelphia Soul on March 11 on the NFL Network in the very first game of the 2011 season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10271/1090861-139.stm
    Last edited by Power Hour; Jan-07-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Threads : 85

Default Re: Starting QB?

ill put my vote for morelli.

I cant wait for this to start. I know absolutely nothing about arena football, and i cant wait to check out some games and see what its all about. Especially knowing that tickets will be dirt cheap and easy to get for quite sometime.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say Morelli as well. Dude, you are gonna love arena football, of course this is coming from a guy who sat down and watched the Passion because they are from Pittsburgh. Seriously though, it is fast paced and high octane football and where else can a WR get drilled and end up in the seats?
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ill put my vote for morelli.

I cant wait for this to start. I know absolutely nothing about arena football, and i cant wait to check out some games and see what its all about. Especially knowing that tickets will be dirt cheap and easy to get for quite sometime.
    It's fun. I guess you've also never seen the old Indoor Soccer (MISL) when that was around in the early 80's and the Pittsburgh Spirit were in town Basically you took a sport and shrunk the field and got rid of the out of bounds. Made for more offense, more action. Arena Football is a lot of action. Baswically it's turf inside of a hockey rink. Hockey rink boards and such
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    It's fun. I guess you've also never seen the old Indoor Soccer (MISL) when that was around in the early 80's and the Pittsburgh Spirit were in town Basically you took a sport and shrunk the field and got rid of the out of bounds. Made for more offense, more action. Arena Football is a lot of action. Baswically it's turf inside of a hockey rink. Hockey rink boards and such
    im only 30 so yeah i dont have any recollections of MISL. Fun is good though, hopefully some station around here picks up a handful of games to televise. Mostly i hope that the ownership is competent and can put together some sort of competitive team together. I checked out the roster and saw they have a number of local kids on it, which is nice but hopefully they have some talent. All in all, im pretty excited about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    im only 30 so yeah i dont have any recollections of MISL. Fun is good though, hopefully some station around here picks up a handful of games to televise. Mostly i hope that the ownership is competent and can put together some sort of competitive team together. I checked out the roster and saw they have a number of local kids on it, which is nice but hopefully they have some talent. All in all, im pretty excited about the whole thing.
    We're the expansion team. We should technically suck, but it's all for a good time. It sucks that Cleveland is sporting the Gladiators name and we could consume what was orignally ours.

I vivdly remember watching the Gladiators and since then I pretty much watched a game infrequently on tv as I saw them but I remember the tempo being a lot more upbeat. Arena sports are a good time. Would be nice to see Indoor Soccer return to Pittsburgh too. they have another Indoor league, perhaps a revived one since it's called MISL but just 5 teams

Threads : 215

Morris is very athletic. I hope his turf toe is years behind him. It really hindered him at Marshall. Morelli could be more of a fan draw here, but Morris is no slouch.

Threads : 1

I don't know much about Morris but I think I'd pick morelli

Quote Originally Posted by C r o s b y View Post
    I don't know much about Morris but I think I'd pick morelli
    AFL is tricky. The game is different than the NFL so the list of traits and skills you want in a QB are different. both QB's offer a decent set of tools for the AFL. i'd take Morelli personally from what I remember of him

Smile

<---look at picture to left

I'm all for Bernard Morris! I used to watch him play for Marshall a few years back and am extremely excited to see his development into an AFL QB. It will be definitely interesting to see which players Coach Siegfried starts in the first game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by GloopGlop View Post
    <---look at picture to left

I'm all for Bernard Morris! I used to watch him play for Marshall a few years back and am extremely excited to see his development into an AFL QB. It will be definitely interesting to see which players Coach Siegfried starts in the first game of the season.
    If this were the NFL... I'd probably throw up all over myself but with it being an Arena league and the speed of the sport and such, I think a guy like Morris could be good. Guys with feet and speed from the QB seem to be better for an AFL league than the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    If this were the NFL... I'd probably throw up all over myself but with it being an Arena league and the speed of the sport and such, I think a guy like Morris could be good. Guys with feet and speed from the QB seem to be better for an AFL league than the NFL
    My thoughts exactly. I'm looking forward to learning about a new sport, seeing which type of players excel and which type flop at their respective positions. Awesomely enough, one of my buddies purchased a couple season tickets so I get to learn up close and personal! Hopefully arena football will interest me while actually watching and dissecting a game. I've heard Ron Cook say it's a "gimmick of a sport" which I kinda think might be true but I despise Mr. Cook and rarely agree with him. Oh well, guess I'll find out soon enough.

Ron Cook has an ******* where lips should be

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont hate cook as much as some of you but I gather that a lot of the sports guys in town thinks its kind of a joke. A sport is a sport though its just that this sport doesnt use the best athletes in the world. Thats what we expect I guess. In NFL you are picking out players that are the best in college to play for your teams. In the AFL its the players that were pretty good but didnt have much of a chance at the NFL and probably even CFL. I like the idea they are playing at the consol and it doesnt hurt thy will play against Cleveland and Philly and ****. Just the names of those cities is enough. Isnt first game like Friday? I hear. I thought it didnt start till april.

Threads : 215

It all starts march 11th.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information