Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' run game has slipped

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers' run game has slipped

Steelers' run game has slipped
    By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

This article has been read 1422 times.

PITTSBURGH - On the Steelers' first play from scrimmage last Sunday at Cleveland, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger dropped back to pass, but not before faking a handoff to running back Rashard Mendenhall, who carried out the deception by continuing as if he were running a stretch play.
    A few seconds later, wide receiver Mike Wallace hauled in a 56-yard pass from Roethlisberger behind the Browns defense for a touchdown and the 41-9 rout was on.

Opponents are concerned with Pittsburgh's running game.

The question is, however, should they be?

Though the Steelers (12-4) ranked 11th in the NFL in rushing at 120.3 yards per game, and Mendenhall finished seventh with 1,273 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns, the ground game was sporadic.

In the Steelers' final eight regular-season games, Mendenhall topped 70 yards just two times. His yards-per-carry average fell from 4.5 in the first half of the season to 3.7 yards over the final eight games.

Mendenhall's season average of 3.9 yards per carry was the lowest of any AFC running back who gained 1,000 yards.

Injuries on the offense line and the way opponents have defended Mendenhall have slowed him at times.

"I think it's a combination of things with our running game," said Mendenhall. "The average as a whole goes down for a number of reasons, whether we're behind or ahead. It depends on a lot of different things. We've got to try and improve it. We're confident in being able to run it."

On the positive side, the Steelers played six games against opponents who made the playoffs. In those games, Mendenhall gained 464 yards and scored five touchdowns.

Roethlisberger says Mendenhall has been effective enough - particularly at the goal line - to keep opposing defenses honest.

"We've done some good things," Roethlisberger said. "When we need to run it, we do it and we do it well. He does a good job with it. Isaac (Redman) does a good job of filling in and the same thing with Mewelde (Moore). I think the running game has done enough that it opens up some of the stuff down the field with play-action passes."

One thing the running game has been lacking is long gains. Mendehall had only four runs of 20 or more yards in the last eight games as opponents have done a good job of not allowing him to bounce runs to the outside.

"I think teams are pretty familiar with us and what we do. They find different ways to defend it," Mendenhall said.

On a positive note, running the ball might not be as difficult in the postseason. Of the top 10 teams in the NFL at stopping the run, only three qualified for the AFC playoffs. Mendenhall won't have to face the defense that led the league in stopping the run. He sees that defense every day in practice.

"We've done a good job running the ball when needed," said Mendenhall, who was third in the league in carries with a career-high 324. "You always want to run it better. You're never satisfied."

Odds and end zones

The Steelers will practice today before taking Friday and Saturday off. They'll resume practices on Sunday as they prepare for their first playoff game Jan. 15. ... Several veterans were given Wednesday off, though Roethlisberger practiced.
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 1817

Default Re: Steelers' run game has slipped

Lolley should know better than to throw out a topic and argument like this and never try to answer or address this. This comes off more like a Ron Cook type article that has no end.

Figures I would come off a Thread discussing the Offensive Line and get here since they one in the same.

the run game really started to decline when Starks went down to injury. There then was that period of time as well where we were playing different players all over the line due to injuries. Now, we are forced to play/run behind Jonathan Scott and that's not happening running to left which makes us more predictable when we run right.

I'm not really worried. With Starks at LT I felt the line ran the ball extremely effective and very well. What the Rooney's wanted from the run game, it was delivered. Unfortunately injuries hit. That's rpetty much the entire story. It's not real deep or scientific
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 440

Running back Moore returns to practice for Steelers

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, January 7, 2011

Mewelde Moore
    Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review

Running back Mewelde Moore returned to practice Thursday, as the Steelers concluded their work week. Still not practicing were right tackle Flozell Adams, receiver Hines Ward, safety Troy Polamalu, linebackers James Harrison and James Farrior, cornerback Bryant McFadden and defensive end Aaron Smith. All except Smith, who dressed for practice but didn't participate, are scheduled to practice when players return Sunday. Smith's status for the Jan. 15 playoff game at Heinz Field remains uncertain.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and left guard Chris Kemoeatu switched jerseys at practice. Roethlisberger wore No. 68 and Kemoeatu wore No. 7.

Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey is happy with the direction the running game is headed. "We like the things that we're doing,'' Pouncey said. Told that the majority of running back Rashard Mendenhall's big runs have come on the right side this season, Pouncey said, "We like to keep it balanced. But if it's working, we're going to keep doing it until somebody stops us.''

Ward said he'll watch the playoff games on TV this weekend but not as a fan. "We can't watch it as entertainment. I've been around so long, I can't watch it without critiquing it.'' said Ward, 34, who will be appearing in his 15th playoff game. Ward said the Steelers didn't prepare for any potential playoff opponent this week with good reason. "Preparing for a team we're not playing is a waste of time,'' Ward said. "It's Steelers vs. Steelers (in practice). It's not about the other teams.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_717033.html#

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Running back Moore returns to practice for Steelers
    *****!.... I was just about to post this.... Ha!
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 49

My thoughts on the run game.

- Steelers simply do not have the kind of offense/OC/O-line for a time-consuming, long drive running game. It's not gonna happen, even without the injuries. The 90's Bettis-era offense is long dead.

- Mendy is just a good NFL RB, not an elite RB and I have doubts he ever will be an elite RB. I had him ranked pretty high going into this season but no longer. He seems to have poor vision at times behind the LOS, does too much hesistating, doesn't seem to like contact at times and doesn't have breakaway speed. He's talented, but I wouldn't mind if the Steelers went out and got another RB.

- The predictable playcalling definitely does not help the run game. It's improved in the last 5 or 6 games but Arians just isn't the guy if you want a consistently good running attack.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    My thoughts on the run game.

- Steelers simply do not have the kind of offense/OC/O-line for a time-consuming, long drive running game. It's not gonna happen, even without the injuries. The 90's Bettis-era offense is long dead.

- Mendy is just a good NFL RB, not an elite RB and I have doubts he ever will be an elite RB. I had him ranked pretty high going into this season but no longer. He seems to have poor vision at times behind the LOS, does too much hesistating, doesn't seem to like contact at times and doesn't have breakaway speed. He's talented, but I wouldn't mind if the Steelers went out and got another RB.

- The predictable playcalling definitely does not help the run game. It's improved in the last 5 or 6 games but Arians just isn't the guy if you want a consistently good running attack.

I agree with all of your points except I believe Mendy could be an elite RB with a better OL and better play calling and run designs that aren't so predictable.

Threads : 10
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Blame the O-Line all that you want. Granted they're not the best but they haven't looked too bad the past few weeks. Until the Steelers decide to utilize a true FB, their running game will never optimize. I've never been a fan of running from the singleback formation. You need a FB to absorb that initial penetrating defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    Blame the O-Line all that you want. Granted they're not the best but they haven't looked too bad the past few weeks. Until the Steelers decide to utilize a true FB, their running game will never optimize. I've never been a fan of running from the singleback formation. You need a FB to absorb that initial penetrating defender.

Bruce Arians quote: "There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one."

Threads : 188

I agree with all of your points except I believe Mendy could be an elite RB with a better OL and better play calling and run designs that aren't so predictable.
    Absolutely, get Mendy to the second level, thats where he's dangerous. OK, you could say that about most backs. But if the OL could make the blocks and create gaps, Mendy has the acceleration
    to pick up chunks of yardage..........we need to draft another quality player on the OL...
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Hambert5958 View Post
    we need to draft another quality player on the OL...
    Mike Pouncey...

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Bruce Arians quote: "There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one."
    what is the theory behind this?? do other O cord. do this...please dont say he's a dumb ***, im tired of hearing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    They weren't using a FB when they were averaging near 5 yards per carry and with no Passing game and a healthy O-Line

The Line is doing a good job, they are just handicapped because of injuries having Jonathan Scott over there on the left. He's a terrible run blocker and it forces us to run too much to the right which gets predictable. Behind Starks we could run better to the left

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    what is the theory behind this?? do other O cord. do this...please dont say he's a dumb ***, im tired of hearing that!
    Flexibility i believe was the reason given. Arians does use a full back in certain situations. We've all seen it, He prefers to use an extra TE in there for extra blocking but also to attempt to disguise the run as opposed to having the FB in there.

I really don't know how much of a difference it makes. I'd like to see more Full Back played but I think the run game wil be fine when Starks gets healthy

Threads : 691

Steelers not holding back with Mendenhall
    Saturday, January 08, 2011
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteSteelers running back Rashard Mendenhall has 324 carries this season.Coach Mike Tomlin once said he would run Willie Parker until the wheels came off, and, toward the end of the 2007 season, they finally did.

Parker was never the same after be broke his right fibula in a Week 15 game in St. Louis, an injury that culminated a three-year period in which he carried 913 times -- an average of 314 attempts per season.

The Steelers are hoping the same thing does not happen to Rashard Mendenhall, who has posted consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and became the first running back since Franco Harris in 1976 to lead the team in scoring.

In his first two seasons as a starter, Mendenhall, a No. 1 draft choice in 2008, already is being used at a more frequent pace than Parker.

Mendenhall had 324 carries this season, second only to Houston's Arian Foster (327), who led the National Football League with 1,616 yards rushing. That gives him 568 carries in his first 29 professional starts.

After Parker became the starter at the beginning of the 2005 season, he had 542 carries in his first 29 starts. While each back has the same amount of runs of 20 yards or longer in that time (20), Mendenhall (20) has more touchdowns than Parker (11).

His 13 touchdowns this season were one shy of the franchise record (14), set by Harris in 1976. Mendenhall was unaware he was that close to the Hall of Fame running back.

"That's pretty cool, but I don't really get into stuff like that," Mendenhall said. "I just try to improve and use every game to do that."

Mendenhall finished eighth in the NFL with 1,273 yards rushing, but his average carry of 3.9 yards was third lowest among the 17 backs with more than 1,000 yards. Conversely, he had 11 runs of 20 yards or longer, fifth most in the NFL -- an indication of the inconsistency from him and the running game.

In the season finale in Cleveland, against a Browns defense that had allowed an average of 118 yards per game to the previous three backs, he had only 36 yards on 14 carries and did not have a run longer than 7 yards.

Mendenhall is one of five offensive starters -- wide receiver Mike Wallace, center Maurkice Pouncey, left tackle Jonathan Scott and right guard Ramon Foster are the others -- who will be making their first playoff appearance when the Steelers play an AFC divisional-round game Jan. 15 at Heinz Field.

"We're doing pretty good," Pouncey said.

"Everything can always improve, of course. We want to be No. 1 in rushing, but we're not. We're still winning and we like the things we're doing and we want to keep pushing forward at it."

It won't be from a lack of trying. For a team built around Ben Roethlisberger and the passing game, Mendenhall's 324 carries this season were the fifth most in team history.

"I think we can improve and be more productive," Mendenhall said.

As long as the wheels don't come off.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11008...#ixzz1ARhpDeSM
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Pouncey...
    Mike Pouncey is terrible. If the Steelers were to draft him he would become a huge first round disappointment. He's definitely no better than Ramon Foster.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information