Thread: Pitt wins Compass bowl.

Threads : 102
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pitt wins Compass bowl.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Am I the only one who watched? Seriously, it was a nice win to hopefully slam the door upon all the recent tumult. Letīs hope itīs a positive sign in moving forward.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Pitt defeats Kentucky in Compass Bowl
    Saturday, January 08, 2011
    By Bill Brink, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Pitt had to fight the adversity facing its football program while preparing for today's BBVA Compass Bowl. During the game, the team had to fight Kentucky.

A midfield scrum gave Pitt a shot of momentum that it turned into a 27-10 victory against Kentucky at Legion Field. Pitt finished 8-5 and improved to 12-15 in bowl games.

The players, who had watched two coaches get fired in the span of a month, played well for interim coach Phil Bennett.

Dion Lewis ran for 105 yards and a touchdown, and Ray Graham had 90 yards. Pitt as a team rushed for 262 yards.

The Panthers limited Kentucky receiver Randall Cobb to 85 total yards and kept him out of the end zone. He did not take any snaps in the Wildcat formation, something he had done earlier this season.

Tino Sunseri completed nine of 19 passes for 96 yards and threw a touchdown pass and an interception. He also rushed four times for 53 yards, but the way the team ran as a whole he didn't need to pass much.

After the referees blew a play dead in the second quarter with the score tied at three, a Kentucky player hit Sunseri anyway and brought him to the ground. Jason Pinkston leveled the Kentucky player, starting a 22-man fight on the midfield logo.

The Panthers drove inside Kentucky's red zone again but couldn't get a touchdown. Dan Hutchins kicked a 33-yard field goal to give Pitt a 6-3 lead with 3:30 left in the half.

The fight gave Pitt momentum. Its defense forced Kentucky to punt from its own 41, but Andrew Taglianetti blocked it and Kolby Gray recovered on the 10-yard line. Sunseri sneaked it in three plays later and Pitt led 13-3 with 34 seconds left in the half.

The momentum continued in the second half, when Pitt disrupted a fake punt on Kentucky's first possession. In three consecutive possessions, Pitt held Kentucky to a turnover on downs after stopping a fourth-and-1 quarterback sneak, a blocked punt and a failed fake punt.

After the fake punt, Sunseri threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to Brock DeCicco that gave Pitt a 20-3 lead with 10:47 left in the third quarter.

Kentucky brought itself back into the game with a 14-play, 74-yard touchdown drive late in the third quarter. Matt Roark dropped a sure touchdown pass that he may have lost in the sun, but Cobb's 18-yard reverse set up Moncell Allen's 1-yard touchdown run to make the score 20-10.

Pitt matched that long drive with one of its own, a 12-play, 69-yarder that ended with Lewis' 2-yard touchdown run. Ten of those 12 plays were runs that accounted for 55 yards. Pitt led 27-10 with 10:26 left in the game.

On Pitt's first possession, Sunseri waited too long to throw to Mike Cruz and cornerback Randall Burden intercepted the ball on Kentucky's 16-yard line, ending a promising opening drive that brought the Panthers near the red zone. Kentucky quarterback Morgan Newton fumbled the ball on the next drive, however, and linebacker Tristan Roberts recovered.

Pitt almost turned the ball over again when Graham dropped a swing pass, which was ruled a lateral, and Kentucky recovered at Pitt's 10. But Bennett challenged the play, referee Tom DeJoseph ruled the pass traveled forward and Pitt retained possession, but had to punt.

Kentucky converted a fourth-and-1 when Newton ran for the first down, but Aaron Donald's sack forced the Wildcats to kick a 50-yard field goal to take a 3-0 lead with 3:16 left in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Pitt drove into Kentucky territory and had first-and-goal at the 9, but could not score in three tries -- two of them pass attempts -- and kicked a 21-yard field goal to tie the game with 11:39 left in the half.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11008...#ixzz1AUTPKKlW

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pitt wins Compass bowl.

I watched it too. It was a nice win. Think positively!

Threads : 3263

I watched also, amongst dealing with other ****.... Be wary, beerman.... I have skype, and just might use it tonight...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched also, amongst dealing with other ****.... Be wary, beerman.... I have skype, and just might use it tonight...
    Anytime you need to buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by lleeferg View Post
    I watched it too. It was a nice win. Think positively!

Threads : 691

I watched. The Pitt players showed alot of character. I hope they land a steady man to lead this group...ummmm cough cough Tom Bradley.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I hope they land a steady man to lead this group...ummmm cough cough Tom Bradley.
    Iīm fully on board with this.

Threads : 3263

... It really was a very decent outing by Pitt today... There was a point mid-way thru the 1st half where they could'a caved, but they came-on strong throughout to the end.... I liked it.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information