Thread: Steelers Running The Ball Differently This Year

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Running The Ball Differently This Year

I was sort of curious to take a peak at some stats and numbers to see how the line has been doing but also see how we've been running the ball this year.

Last season the Steelers ran the ball up the middle/guard 56% of the time and we ranked 23rd in the league with a 3.91 adjusted line yards. We ran off left tackle 10% and left end 8% of the time last season.
    Low percentages but ranked 8th and 9th best running in those directions. Naturally I'm sure Bruce saw that and said " let's run it up the middle some more!". Off right tackle we ran 16% iof the time and were the worst team in the league running the ball off right tackle. Off right end we ran the ball 10% of the time and were ranked 16th.

2009 has been completely different. I don't know if it's because of throwing the ball more or because Bruce thought willie was a bigger power back than Mendy but we've only run the ball up the middle/guard 48% of the time this year and we are now ranked 15th. Ironically, while we were decent running to left last year, we dropped significantly this year as we're 21st running off left tackle and 17th off of left end. We're only running the ball 20% of the time to left so we're running it the same amount of time.... to the right we're running 21% of the time off of right tackle, which is an increase. We were dead last running off of right tackle last year and...we're ranked 29th this year.... but when we run off of right end we are ranked #1 in the league. We're a ****ing force running outside to the right this year. Unfortunately we aren't running it off left end any more than we did last year.

Basically what has occurred this year is that Bruce isn't calling as many plays up the middle and instead has taken those calls and are running the ball to the very place that we were ****TIEST at last year and aren't really any better this year - running off of right tackle. The results have improved running yards up the middle at least. I'm curious as to why we've fallen like we have on the left side running. Starks and Kemo are decent run blockers, showed the ability to do it last year and this year there's beena lack of success running left. Meaninwhile, Colon and Heath must be doing a hell of a job on the right side

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Running The Ball Differently This Year

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2009 has been completely different. I don't know if it's because of throwing the ball more or because Bruce thought willie was a bigger power back than Mendy but we've only run the ball up the middle/guard 48% of the time this year and we are now ranked 15th. Ironically, while we were decent running to left last year, we dropped significantly this year as we're 21st running off left tackle and 17th off of left end. We're only running the ball 20% of the time to left so we're running it the same amount of time.... to the right we're running 21% of the time off of right tackle, which is an increase. We were dead last running off of right tackle last year and...we're ranked 29th this year.... but when we run off of right end we are ranked #1 in the league. We're a ****ing force running outside to the right this year. Unfortunately we aren't running it off left end any more than we did last year.
    I don't know whether Brucie-boy has enough insight to make these types of determinations, but it does seem to be working... Overall, I'm from the "old school" of fans that still remember us having a power running game, and am still adjusting to the "new look" Steelers... I don't mind it, but just hope we have what's needed in the running game going into the second half of the season where we're facing better opponents.

... Where did you get those stats?.... Great stuff!....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That is really interesting!!!

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One more stat needed. WHO was running the ball on the run plays and how do the stats break down by running back?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information