Thread: Hopeful article on Alderson

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hopeful article on Alderson

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_717720.html

I will be very interested to see what MPH his FB is gonna be.

Threads : 94

Default Re: Hopeful article on Alderson

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_717720.html

I will be very interested to see what MPH his FB is gonna be.
    When I saw him last year in ST he was a total mess. They basically were re-teaching him how to throw.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    When I saw him last year in ST he was a total mess. They basically were re-teaching him how to throw.
    But what went wrong with him? This article was like a glass half full type that simply stopped right when explanations were needed. We know he has struggled since coming over, that his velocity stinks, but what went wrong? was it always like that and he overachieved in the lower levels and slightly in the Giants AA? Did the Pirates developmental team screw him up? Combination of both?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 24

The Alderson story makes me realize how important it is to have really talented people running your minor leagues and doing instruction. Instructional people in baseball need to be nurtured and developed almost as carefully as the players. If the Pirates can just be successful at that, it will make such a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    But what went wrong with him? This article was like a glass half full type that simply stopped right when explanations were needed. We know he has struggled since coming over, that his velocity stinks, but what went wrong? was it always like that and he overachieved in the lower levels and slightly in the Giants AA? Did the Pirates developmental team screw him up? Combination of both?
    Are you asking did the Pirates screw him up …the answer is NO.

Alderson was/is a flawed pitcher with a flawed pitched motion that played well in the lower minors but he was distended to fail eventually in the upper minors. SF knew this that’s how/why the Pirates acquired him for Sanchez. He is just another player the organization was willing to take a chance on.

Are you asking did the Pirates screw him up …the answer is NO.

Alderson was/is a flawed pitcher with a flawed pitched motion that played well in the lower minors but he was distended to fail eventually in the upper minors. SF knew this that’s how/why the Pirates acquired him for Sanchez. He is just another player the organization was willing to take a chance on.
    I forgot about the weird hitch in his delivery until now. Amazing that he was ranked as high as he was (something like #34) and projected to fail in the upper minors.

so what have they been doing? I'm going to assume they've been reworking his delivery to get probably some more push for improved velocity?

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    The Alderson story makes me realize how important it is to have really talented people running your minor leagues and doing instruction. Instructional people in baseball need to be nurtured and developed almost as carefully as the players. If the Pirates can just be successful at that, it will make such a huge difference.
    The Pirates organization since getting rid of the Littlefield regime has put a worlds more emphasis into development and the entire minor leagues process. Littlefield never did that. There's also a great deal of organization, guidelines, detailed outlines and requirements for players. we didn't have that before. Really this organization (at least in the McClatchy era) operated like a crack house.

I don't know if the current regime is going to take us beyond more than just some good drafts, but they'll always get credit for reviving the minor leagues, draft, internationals and all of these other important aspects for a small market club that were virtually non-existent before.

I forgot about the weird hitch in his delivery until now. Amazing that he was ranked as high as he was (something like #34) and projected to fail in the upper minors.

so what have they been doing? I'm going to assume they've been reworking his delivery to get probably some more push for improved velocity?
    I was at ST last year for 10 days and watched several of Alderson's bullpens. There was at least 4 or 5 coaches watching him from every angle, they were working on mechanics. They weren't worried about velocity...the gun readings weren't higher than the low 80's. At that point I kind of figured he might be in for a long season.

I was at ST last year for 10 days and watched several of Alderson's bullpens. There was at least 4 or 5 coaches watching him from every angle, they were working on mechanics. They weren't worried about velocity...the gun readings weren't higher than the low 80's. At that point I kind of figured he might be in for a long season.
    I guess the positive here is that there was a pretty big emphasis on righting Alderson. If you have 4-5 coaches on one player watching his mechanics and such, that's a pretty nice level of dedication to the player. Low 80's velocity is poor though. I could probably throw in the low 80's I'd throw my arm out now, but I'm sure I could get there again

Do you know if his velocity improved by the end of the season? the article talks in such generalities it answers practically nothing.

Do you know if his velocity improved by the end of the season? the article talks in such generalities it answers practically nothing.
    I believe he was in the mid 80's

I believe he was in the mid 80's
    Basically not much more of an improvement? I thought that his max was to sit around that 88-91 mark?

Basically not much more of an improvement? I thought that his max was to sit around that 88-91 mark?
    He would get up into the high 80's on occasion but he pretty much sat in the mid 80's. If he doesn't get back up into the range you mentioned he's probably toast.

He would get up into the high 80's on occasion but he pretty much sat in the mid 80's. If he doesn't get back up into the range you mentioned he's probably toast.
    I agree. Needs to hit that range regularly, but wouldn't expect more than a top of 91mph.

We'll see what the extra work has provided for him. He'll be 23 in november. not that he couldn't become a late bloomer but if there's not a big improvement you have to winder how long they continue to try. It's a unique age

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information