Thread: Scouts, Inc Look at the Game

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Scouts, Inc Look at the Game

I enjoy their takes. Sure a lot of them come under the 'Captain Obvious' category, but overall they do a pretty good breakdown.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scout...meId=310115023

1. This is a big-time rivalry: This is primed to be the most physical game of the year. These teams split during the regular season, with each win coming by only three points. Baltimore has been an excellent road playoff team, and its mental toughness cannot be denied. The Ravens have now won five straight and have not lost a game all year by more than a touchdown. But they are operating on a short week. Pittsburgh lost only one game at home this season and should be very well-rested for this game. All four of the Steelers' losses this season came against playoff teams.

2. Wallace has company: Mike Wallace might be the best deep threat in the league. Wallace has been as sure-handed as he is dangerous, and Pittsburgh has done an excellent job incorporating him as a short option as well. As dangerous as Wallace is, he isn't alone in the Steelers' arsenal. Hines Ward isn't dynamic but is very steady and reliable. The same can be said for TE Heath Miller. And WR Emmanuel Sanders is quickly becoming another option to fear. Ben Roethlisberger averaged a whopping 8.2 yards per passing attempt in the regular season, third best in the league. The Ravens allowed only 6.3 yards per passing attempt, which was second only to the Steelers' defense. Josh Wilson has been a very pleasant surprise and really helped shore up the Ravens' cornerback corps. Wilson is very fast, but doesn't have Wallace's speed.

3. Don't let Polamalu wreak havoc: Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is one of the most disruptive defensive players in the league. He is also extremely hard to account for and can do damage in a multitude of ways. Ravens TE Todd Heap had a big week in Kansas City, and Polamalu could often get the assignment of slowing him down. But Polamalu will also blitz, play the deep half and can be a terror in the run game.

4. Force Big Ben into mistakes: Roethlisberger is a great quarterback, but he's also a risk-taker. The Chiefs only threw for 70 yards against Baltimore last week, even though they were playing from behind for the majority of the second half. Ed Reed covers so much ground that the Ravens can get away with more single high safety looks than most teams. He is the best ballhawk in football. Baltimore is getting great safety play in general, including Dawan Landry. Terrell Suggs had two sacks last week and has killed Pittsburgh in the past. Getting him blocked will be difficult but instrumental to Pittsburgh's passing game. He doesn't often get the credit he deserves in this regard, but Roethlisberger's stats within the pocket far exceed what he does outside the pocket. He has also been very good versus the blitz, on third down and in the fourth quarter. He is usually at his best when it matters most.

5. Matchup to watch: Ravens RB Ray Rice versus Steelers ILB Lawrence Timmons: The Ravens' offense operates best when it is goes through Rice. But Rice has just 52 yards rushing on 17 carries and three catches for 27 yards this season versus Pittsburgh. Timmons is a very tough matchup for Rice in the run game, as a pass-rusher and in coverage. Amazingly, the Steelers gave up only 3.0 yards per rushing attempt and allowed less than 63 rushing yards per game in the regular season. Equally incredible, Pittsburgh allowed only one run over 20 yards. The Ravens mustered a 3.8-yard per carry average during the regular season; they want to be a physical offense. Baltimore ran 78 plays last week and held the ball for more than 41 minutes.

6. Dink and dunk down the field: There isn't an offensive position that has put up good numbers versus the Steelers lately, and Pittsburgh was the best pass defense in the league on a yards-per-attempt basis during the regular season. The Steelers are great at disallowing the long ball. But the Ravens rarely go deep and don't have a true home-run hitter at wide receiver. As Baltimore did successfully in Kansas City, look for Joe Flacco to attack the Steelers with a short, controlled passing game. Pittsburgh also allowed the fewest points in the league in 2010.

7. Hit Flacco: Pittsburgh led the NFL in sacks this year. Flacco will hold the ball too long at times, and Kansas City's Tamba Hali gave the Ravens' offensive tackles fits last week. This week, Baltimore can't even key on one singular edge-rusher. Instead, the Ravens have to handle linebackers LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison. But Pittsburgh wasn't great getting to Flacco during the regular season. Throwing against the Steelers when they rush four or fewer has proven especially difficult.

8. Feed Mendenhall: Pittsburgh has broken off a lot of long runs. And the Ravens are not a particularly fast defense. RB Rashard Mendenhall doesn't have the speed of a guy like Jamaal Charles, but he can get to the edge quickly, and if he gets past the front seven, can certainly break off long gains. But for that to happen, Pittsburgh will have to stay dedicated to the ground game, which has been a problem at times.

9. Win the hidden yardage: This is destined to be a grueling game. The Ravens have a big special-teams advantage, which could be crucial in a tight battle. Three teams turned the ball over less than the Steelers and only two teams had more takeaways. But Baltimore is excellent with its ball security and will not be overwhelmed on the road.

10. Matchup to watch: Steelers interior offensive line vs. Ravens DT Haloti Ngata: Pittsburgh's guard play is subpar. Although Maurkice Pouncey is a fine young center and the Steelers' best offensive lineman, big, overpowering defensive linemen give him trouble. No one is bigger or more overpowering than Ngata and his linemates, Kelly Gregg and Terrence Cody. The Ravens are predominantly a 4-3 team, but they are very flexible and will challenge the rookie center's ability to make proper line calls.

Prediction
    Baltimore 13
    Pittsburgh 17

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Scouts, Inc Look at the Game

All four of the Steelers' losses this season came against playoff teams.
    I love quotes like this because they try to say one thing but when you actually comprehend what it says, it tells you something different.

this guy is basically trying to use this as a negative, insinuating that the Steelers lost all 4 of their games against playoff teams which means they could lose against the playoff team on Saturday.

When you look beyond that, shouldn't your team if it does lose games, lose against playoff teams and not to teams like the Cinncinati Bengals as Baltimore did?

It's a strange statement to make that I think is made without any regard to the full meaning of what is being said
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

8. Feed Mendenhall: Pittsburgh has broken off a lot of long runs. And the Ravens are not a particularly fast defense. RB Rashard Mendenhall doesn't have the speed of a guy like Jamaal Charles, but he can get to the edge quickly, and if he gets past the front seven, can certainly break off long gains. But for that to happen, Pittsburgh will have to stay dedicated to the ground game, which has been a problem at times.
    Another solid point that I hadn't noticed until now (just checked it out). Mendenhall broke a league 3rd best 11 20+ yard runs. That's impressive considering the alternating RG's this season (Foster, Legursky, Essex) and playing half of the season with Johnathan Scott at LT

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love quotes like this because they try to say one thing but when you actually comprehend what it says, it tells you something different.

this guy is basically trying to use this as a negative, insinuating that the Steelers lost all 4 of their games against playoff teams which means they could lose against the playoff team on Saturday.

When you look beyond that, shouldn't your team if it does lose games, lose against playoff teams and not to teams like the Cinncinati Bengals as Baltimore did?

It's a strange statement to make that I think is made without any regard to the full meaning of what is being said

Yeah but I think that overall it's worth bringing up that point. Basically that the Steelers have struggled against some of their better opponents. It's good that they beat who they should, and that's the mark of a good team also.

That doesn't make them a bad team, but it's still worth noting.

Threads : 12

1. This is a big-time rivalry: This is primed to be the most physical game of the year. These teams split during the regular season, with each win coming by only three points. Baltimore has been an excellent road playoff team, and its mental toughness cannot be denied. The Ravens have now won five straight and have not lost a game all year by more than a touchdown. But they are operating on a short week. [HIGH-LIGHT]Pittsburgh lost only one game at home this season [/HIGH-LIGHT]and should be very well-rested for this game. All four of the Steelers' losses this season came against playoff teams.
    ================================================== ===================
    Uh, Pittsburgh was 5-3 at home this season (BAL, NE, & NYJ). Kind of hard to respect what he says when he can't even get that part right.

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    1. This is a big-time rivalry: This is primed to be the most physical game of the year. These teams split during the regular season, with each win coming by only three points. Baltimore has been an excellent road playoff team, and its mental toughness cannot be denied. The Ravens have now won five straight and have not lost a game all year by more than a touchdown. But they are operating on a short week. [HIGH-LIGHT]Pittsburgh lost only one game at home this season [/HIGH-LIGHT]and should be very well-rested for this game. All four of the Steelers' losses this season came against playoff teams.
    Uh, Pittsburgh was 5-3 at home this season (BAL, NE, & NYJ). Kind of hard to respect what he says when he can't even get that part right.
    I second guessed that at first but not enough to look it up.

Ironically we only lost once on the road

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Yeah but I think that overall it's worth bringing up that point. Basically that the Steelers have struggled against some of their better opponents. It's good that they beat who they should, and that's the mark of a good team also.

That doesn't make them a bad team, but it's still worth noting.
    I really don't see the merit in noting it. You're supposed to struggle more against better opponents than against crappy teams. We're not supposed to lose to the Cincinnati Bengals of the league, but it's a little more acceptable (unless you expect perfection and nothing less) to lose to playoff teams.

Just my look on it. I'm of the personal opinion that it's better and at least more credible that when you lose, you do it to better teas, playoff teams than to teams like the Bengals or whoever is *** that year I don't see it as the same negative as it was meant to be in this Article

Threads : 440

On Saturday, Explosive Plays Could Make Difference

Posted on January 11, 2011 by JJ

Sunday night, Lance Williams of Steel Curtain Radio, Michael Bean of Behind The Steel Curtain and I had a very interesting discussion about Saturday’s Armageddon. It was planned to be a podcast, but unfortunately some technical issues with the recording meant it was just three guys talking Steelers instead.

But even with the recording not working, it was a fun talk, and it brought up some interesting points. One of the most salient was a conversation we had about what the Steelers have to do to win this game. Obviously this is about as evenly matched as a game can be — the last four Steelers-Ravens games have all been decided by a field goal — so there was some thought that it will be the team who makes fewer mistakes will be the one who pulls out the win.

There’s some truth to that — if Joe Flacco had realized Troy Polamalu was coming off his blind side unblocked, the Ravens could have won the most recent matchup. But to me, there’s something even more important. What I’ll be looking for is how many big plays the Steelers can come up with on offense. I think that’s just as important as limiting mistakes.

Let me make it clear. It’s not my idea, it’s Bill Walsh’s. In his outstanding book “Finding The Winning Edge,” Walsh has an entire chapter about putting together a gameplan. In it, one of the his bullet points is that a team needs to generate explosive plays to gain an advantage. As Walsh explained it, an explosive play is any offensive play that gains 20 or more yards. According to the stats at the time Walsh wrote his book (1997), teams that had a two-explosive-play or more advantage over their opponent won 80-85 percent of the time.

That intrigued me, so I compiled the numbers for the eight remaining playoff teams. What I found was that in that admittedly small sample size were very similar stats. With +2 explosive play differential (what Walsh was aiming for), the eight remaining teams are winning 88 percent of their games. With a +1 to -1 differential, the teams are winning 71.5 percent of their games (right in line with their 70 percent winning percentage for the season). And when the have a -2 explosive play differential, the playoff teams are winning only 48 percent of the time.

In the five games where the Steelers have gotten the big-play edge on the Ravens, they’ve won. In the six games they’ve failed to get the big-play edge, they are 1-5. So if the Steelers want to win, getting Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders or Heath Miller deep will be a key factor.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/0...ys-difference/

Threads : 3263

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 183

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    I was thinking the same thing...and these guys think they are pros and get paid for their research what a joke?

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

I agree and I dig that our four games that we didn't win came against playoff teams. How many wins did we have against playoff teams ?
    Anyway those four losses are the kind of games teams correct or bite back during the playoffs.
    Remember Bens rookie season and we beat the Pats, the Eagles and everyone else but come playoff time, it meant nothing...... you got nothing......we had nothing................Thought I'd throw a little of Robert Deniro in there for you viewers.
    Things will go fine for us.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information