Thread: Smith has slight chance of playing on Saturday

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Smith has slight chance of playing on Saturday

Steelers' Smith has slight chance of playing on Saturday
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Aaron Smith won't practice this week, but the Steelers are holding out hope that the veteran defensive end will be able to play, albeit in a limited capacity, on Saturday against the Ravens.

[IMGR]http://i55.tinypic.com/2nqqhz6.jpg[/IMGR]Smith, who is trying to return from a partially torn triceps, will have an MRI taken on his left arm Friday.

The scan, Smith said, will determine where his arm is in the healing process. And if the MRI brings good news, there is an outside chance that Smith could suit up for the Steelers' AFC divisional playoff game.

"It's nice because it's been a long journey up to this point," Smith said. "The guys have done a great job of doing what they had to do to carry us this far. I'd just like to get another opportunity to contribute."

Smith, who dressed for practice Tuesday but did not participate in it, said conditioning won't be a problem if and when he does return to the playing field.

Smith started lifting weights last month. The 6-foot-5, 298-pounder has been running up to five days a week since he started working his way back from the injury he sustained in an Oct. 24 game in Miami.

"I'm probably in better shape than when I got hurt," Smith said.

The Steelers' defense has held up without one of its top players, but inside linebacker James Farrior said Smith's return would give the team a "big boost."

"He's one of the keys to the defense," Farrior said. "We did well this year a lot of games without him, but he takes us to a whole (different) level."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Quotable[/HIGH-LIGHT]

"I'm not going to sit here and say, 'I wish I could have played last week, I really missed football last week,' because I didn't. I got to watch it on TV and I enjoyed it, but I got to wake up with no pain. I got to play armchair quarterback, and that was pretty cool."

- Ryan Clark, Steelers safety, on the Steelers' bye week

[HIGH-LIGHT]by the numbers[/HIGH-LIGHT]

12: Catches that Ravens wideout Anquan Boldin had in two regular-season games against the Steelers

27: Receiving yards Hines Ward had in two games against the Ravens this season

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_717712.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

Default Re: Smith has slight chance of playing on Saturday

interesting how two different guys can write two different things...

Earliest that Steelers DE Smith could return is for Super Bowl

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
    NFL Network Insider
    Published: Jan. 12, 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers might not have Aaron Smith back this season unless they reach the Super Bowl, a source with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday.

Smith, an elite 3-4 defensive end and one of the key cogs in Pittsburgh's defense, tore his triceps during a Week 7 game at Miami and hasn't played since.

The Steelers knew at the time that Smith's injury could have been considered season-ending, but given his importance to the team, they kept a roster spot open for the playoffs and didn't place him on injured reserve. He is virtually certain not to face the Baltimore Ravens this week and would be doubtful to play in the AFC Championship Game as well, according to the source.

"The Super Bowl would probably be the most realistic timetable," the source said.

The Steelers would have to win two more games to get there, and then would have the pre-Super Bowl bye week as well.

Smith resumed weightlifting weeks ago, but he has only been able to practice thus far on an extremely limited basis.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    interesting how two different guys can write two different things...
    Yea, it is... I probably have a tendency to go with Brown, as he's a local writer and could have a better feel for the situation than a national writer like La Canfora... But I also am hoping that he returns due to being a fan...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 9

From December 18th:
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Steelers expect Polamalu to rest ailing leg, be ready for playoffs

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
    NFL Network Insider
    Published: Dec. 18, 2010

The Pittsburgh Steelers haven't considered putting five-time Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu on season-ending injured reserve, a team source said Saturday, and expect him back this month.

Some reports have surfaced that the game-changing safety could be out for the season with a strained right Achilles' tendon and a sore calf. However, the Steelers are confident that Polamalu will be ready for the playoffs.

"If this week's game was the Super Bowl, he would be playing," the source said.

Instead, it's "pretty much certain," according to the source, that Polamalu will not play Sunday against the New York Jets as a precaution. He was listed as doubtful on Friday's injury report after not being able to practice all week.

Also, with the Steelers' following game being played on a short week -- Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers -- the team will wait to determine its playoff situation before deciding whether or not to play Polamalu. If the Steelers have the AFC North title wrapped up, then in all likelihood, Polamalu wouldn't play until January.

"We'll have him back for the playoffs," the source said, "and sooner if it makes sense."

Also, Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith continues his recovery from a torn tricep. He started lifting weights a few weeks ago and now is working on returning to game shape after missing most of the regular season. He was injured in Week 7.

"He's doing great," the source said of Smith. "He'll be ready for the playoffs."

However, the Steelers have ruled out tight end Heath Miller for Sunday's game as he tries to return from a concussion that he suffered during a Dec. 5 victory over the Baltimore Ravens. Miller was listed as questionable on the injury report.

http://burgh.us/6g
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we are doing so well without him and we are, I hope they allow him to get one more week closer to being better or however the way Tomlin puts it. I hope Smith doesn't tell them, he's okay just for the sake of getting back into action.
    It must be hard on a player to not be able to contribute and especially due to an injury.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Smith still hopeful about playing against Ravens
    January 13th, 2011

He won’t be a game-time decision but apparently it will be close to that for Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith.

Smith is scheduled to have an MRI taken on his left arm today, and he and the Steelers will get results of that scan Saturday.

Smith, who has not practiced since partially tearing his left triceps in an Oct. 24 game, is holding out hope that he will play against the Ravens, assuming he gets good news from his latest MRI.

“I would love to (play) but it depends on what the staff and doctors think,” Smith said after the Steelers’ final practice of the week.

As for the challenge of playing despite missing so much practice time, Smith said, “I’ve been doing this for 12 years of my life so I think I can go out there and do it. I believe 100 percent in my heart that I can go out there and play football. I wish I was back yesterday but it’s just a time thing.”

Today had a turn-back-the-clock-day feel to it as Bill Cowher was among those that signed in as media at Steelers’ headquarters.

Cowher made a quick trip to Pittsburgh to interview Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward and James Harrison for CBS, which is televising Saturday’s AFC divisional playoff game.

Cowher, a studio analyst for CBS’ “The NFL Today,” watched practice and chatted up Steelers president Art Rooney, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin.

Cowher also talked with the players that suited up for him before he stepped down as Steelers coach in January of 2007.

“It was weird but it was good.” Smith said of seeing Cowher. “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen him and it looks like he’s doing well and we just wished the best for each other. We didn’t talk much football.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...gainst-ravens/
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 691

I feel that if Smith could get on the field for even a few plays it would give the defense a huge lift mentally. His teamates seem to think the world of him.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Smith still hopeful about playing against Ravens
    January 13th, 2011

He won’t be a game-time decision but apparently it will be close to that for Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith.

Smith is scheduled to have an MRI taken on his left arm today, and he and the Steelers will get results of that scan Saturday.

Smith, who has not practiced since partially tearing his left triceps in an Oct. 24 game, is holding out hope that he will play against the Ravens, assuming he gets good news from his latest MRI.

“I would love to (play) but it depends on what the staff and doctors think,” Smith said after the Steelers’ final practice of the week.

As for the challenge of playing despite missing so much practice time, Smith said, “I’ve been doing this for 12 years of my life so I think I can go out there and do it. I believe 100 percent in my heart that I can go out there and play football. I wish I was back yesterday but it’s just a time thing.”

Today had a turn-back-the-clock-day feel to it as Bill Cowher was among those that signed in as media at Steelers’ headquarters.

Cowher made a quick trip to Pittsburgh to interview Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward and James Harrison for CBS, which is televising Saturday’s AFC divisional playoff game.

Cowher, a studio analyst for CBS’ “The NFL Today,” watched practice and chatted up Steelers president Art Rooney, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin.

Cowher also talked with the players that suited up for him before he stepped down as Steelers coach in January of 2007.

“It was weird but it was good.” Smith said of seeing Cowher. “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen him and it looks like he’s doing well and we just wished the best for each other. We didn’t talk much football.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...gainst-ravens/
    why what the results not be ready til sat.?

Threads : 82

I just don't want to see them cast Hood aside. He has done an admirable job and is most likely a full time starter from here on out. A little platooning is ok tho.

Threads : 29

They won't be casting Ziggy aside. Even if Smith does play it'll only be around 15, maybe 20, snaps.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I doubt he plays this week, but I guarantee he would see some action in the AFCC game. Can't wait to see him on the field.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 440

Steelers' Smith out for Ravens game

By Scott Brown
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, January 14, 2011

Aaron Smith, who has said he is hopeful of playing Saturday in an AFC divisional playoff game, won't suit up against the Ravens even if he and the Steelers get favorable results from an MRI that the veteran defensive end took today.

Smith, who has not played since partially tearing his left triceps in an Oct. 24 game, is listed by the Steelers as doubtful for tomorrow's 4:30 p.m. game at Heinz Field. But coach Mike Tomlin told the team’s website today that Smith won’t play against the Ravens.

“Hopefully we get the job done against the Ravens, and we can have that conversation (about Smith playing) again next week,” Tomlin told Steelers.com.

The team has listed both strong safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Bryant McFadden as probable for the Steelers' third game this season against the Ravens.

Both Polamlu (Achilles) and McFadden (abdomen) were full participants in practice yesterday. Each also took part in the walk through that the Steelers held today at their South Side practice facility.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_718226.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information