Thread: I'm Late But Yeah... Kris Benson Retires

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I'm Late But Yeah... Kris Benson Retires

Former No. 1 overall pick Kris Benson retires

D.J. Short
    Jan 10, 2011, 11:38 PM EST

From the hardly shocking news department: Kris Benson told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that he has decided to retire.
    Im done, the 36-year-old said by phone from his home outside Atlanta. I decided pretty much after this past season that I wasnt going to pursue anything. Ive been putting way too much into it and not getting enough out of it, as far as the rehab, working out, training, and then not getting the type of results I expect from myself.
    Benson attempted yet another comeback last season as a member of the Diamondbacks, posting a 5.14 ERA over three starts, but didnt make another appearance in the big leagues after the final week of April due to shoulder problems. The former 1996 No. 1 overall pick has tossed just 36 1/3 innings at the major league level since 2006.

Benson wraps up his career with a 70-75 record to go along with a 4.42 ERA over parts of nine major league seasons between the Pirates, Mets, Orioles, Rangers and Diamondbacks.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...enson-retires/
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: I'm Late But Yeah... Kris Benson Retires

Kris Benson

Ok enough of that. Benson was a bust. Let's talk about Anna Benson instead

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any truth to the rumor that he hurt himself as he made the announcement?

Threads : 413

No but she could hurt me. Real bad too.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any truth to the rumor that he hurt himself as he made the announcement?

I'd hurt myself to spend more time at home with Anna

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    No but she could hurt me. Real bad too.
    Good one!

Threads : 20

Question here.. In honor of his wife who the word bust seems ohhh so fitting...

Do you consider Kris Benson a "bust"?

Numbers-wise: he won 70 games over nine seasons and his final career ERA was 4.42.

In definition, he was an average pitcher who stuck around for awhile.

I can't consider him a complete bust, when you look at the scope of what the term should be. He never was the pitcher people expected him to be, but he didn't completely flame out either. In sense, the expectations were high, and he was average.

On top of things, as pathetic as this sounds, he was probably Pittsburgh's best first round draft pick between 1992-2003. Granted, picking amongst that lobby of garbage is like sifting through a big pile of elephant feces and trying to find the one that stinks the least, but I digress.

What do you think? Do you feel Benson was a bust?
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Threads : 20

Oh and remember when Anna said she'd fornicate half the city she was in if Kris cheated on her?

I wish to God Pittsburgh would have re-signed him last season. We could have taken him out, gotten him ****faced, loaded a few ... ahem uppers... then took his *** to Club Blush..

Yep, I'd do something completely unethical like getting a guy doped up to get with Anna.. In a second.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by TX Longhorn View Post

Numbers-wise: he won 70 games over nine seasons and his final career ERA was 4.42.

I can't consider him a complete bust, when you look at the scope of what the term should be. He never was the pitcher people expected him to be, but he didn't completely flame out either. In sense, the expectations were high, and he was average.

On top of things, as pathetic as this sounds, he was probably Pittsburgh's best first round draft pick between 1992-2003. Granted, picking amongst that lobby of garbage is like sifting through a big pile of elephant feces and trying to find the one that stinks the least, but I digress.

It's always weird with injured pitchers. Obviously for his career he didn't live up to expectations (some called him maybe the best college pitcher of all time at the time of the draft), but when he was healthy he seemed to be on the path toward a very good career. Fangraphs has his first two major league seasons at 3.7 and 4.0 WAR as he threw over 400 innings with good peripherals. I think that's when Peter Gammons picked him to win the Cy Young, but he ended up missing the whole season and was never quite the same again. He did stick around long enough to get in a couple more decent seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Longhorn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    It's always weird with injured pitchers. Obviously for his career he didn't live up to expectations (some called him maybe the best college pitcher of all time at the time of the draft), but when he was healthy he seemed to be on the path toward a very good career. Fangraphs has his first two major league seasons at 3.7 and 4.0 WAR as he threw over 400 innings with good peripherals. I think that's when Peter Gammons picked him to win the Cy Young, but he ended up missing the whole season and was never quite the same again. He did stick around long enough to get in a couple more decent seasons.
    The problem with an injury is that you can only assume if it doesn't happen, moreso that early into a player career. As far as I'm concerned he was a Bust. His overall production never lived up to the expectations of where he was drafted. Maybe he continues on progressing like he was on track to doing after his 2nd season. he was only 25, but we'll never know and unfortunately, the Bust label always applies to players whose careers were potentially altered due to injuries.

think of it like this. If Strasburg comes back from surgery and is good but not great and dominating, is he or isn't he a Bust? with the expectations, hype and most importantly the ridiculous amount of money spent on him.. I would think you need "great".

That's my grading scale though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information