Thread: It's Jameson Taillon Time!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default It's Jameson Taillon Time!

Higher learning begins for Pirates' Taillon
    Thursday, January 13, 2011
    By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Keith Srakocic/Associated Press
    Pirates pitcher Jameson Taillon was the Pirates' first round pick in last year's draft.

BRADENTON, Fla. -- All the talent in that multimillion-dollar right arm of Jameson Taillon is matched perhaps only by the perspective with which he looks at his life -- a life seemingly anyone who has stood 60 feet, 6 inches from home plate, and attempted to fling a baseball past a batter, would want.

Taillon, the Pirates' first-round pick (No. 2 overall) in June is here for minicamp, around big-leaguers in a camp for the first time.

He is spending the week going from drill to drill, running and working out, giving a glimpse to the organization why it should feel secure about that $6.5 million signing bonus it awarded him.

In an idle moment, though, Taillon, 19, thinks about a divergence in his life and that of a close high school friend; how he is tossing a ball around some baseball complex in Florida, but his buddy -- a pre-dental student at Texas Tech -- is pushing through the rigors of 7 a.m. class.

"He would trade that for my life any day," Taillon said of his friend's academic pursuits.
    "And I understand that and don't take one day for granted doing this."

Taillon has yet to throw an inning of professional baseball.

But, when it comes to maturity, it is evident by the way he talks and carries himself that he is a bit different from those here who were in high school last year at this time.

Or, as Pirates general manager Neal Huntington put it, "He comes from a remarkably polished background."

The back story has been told before; how Taillon is from a family of academic overachievers and parents who expect excellence in the classroom.

Huntington spoke of how such an environment prepared Taillon, but in a sense has left some unknowns.

"The biggest question we have to answer, though, is maybe he hasn't faced adversity on or off the field as a result of that upbringing," he said. "That is a question we have to find the answer to."

Although this minicamp is only a week -- ending Friday -- it is giving a small dose of pro baseball to players such as Taillon, second-rounder Stetson Allie and Mexican youngster Luis Heredia.

"A lot of it is self-management," Huntington said of the pillars that are being built.
    "When you are in high school, you are living at home, you are going to school, you pitch once a week. That is how things are mapped out. He now gets into a whole new environment -- living on his own, having to make his own meals, do his own laundry, manage his own time. ... He has to figure out how his routine works."

That routine will be scrutinized intensely because of the heightened level of Taillon's pedigree, draft status and contract.

Taillon said he understands how hard he has to work to live up to such potential, and Huntington hammered that position home.

"The player comes in and his development will dictate where he goes," Huntington said.

"The adage is that the first-round pick always gets special treatment. That is not the case with us. He may get a little more patience over that 37th-roundpick who got $1,000 and goes out and struggles for two years. The first-round pick we'd stay with longer, but, in our system, it is about showing us you are ready to advance."
    For this week at minicamp, it has not been about advancing or trying to figure out which affiliate he will be with this coming season.

It has been about how to become a professional.

"I'm out here playing ball every day," Taillon said. "It doesn't get much better than that."

NOTES -- Starting center fielder Andrew McCutchen arrived at minicamp Wednesday and took part in the drills. Right fielder Garrett Jones is expected to arrive today. ... PirateFest 2011 will be from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Jan. 29, and noon to 5 p.m. Jan. 30, at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. New in 2011, Pirates season ticket-holders will have exclusive access to PirateFest Jan. 28. Tickets are $12 for adults and $4 for fans ages 14 and younger and can be purchased in advance at www.pirates.com/piratefest, by calling 1-800-BUY-BUCS or at the door at the convention center.

Colin Dunlap: cdunlap@post-gazette.com.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11013/1117577-63.stm
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It's Jameson Taillon Time!

I Hope they don't rush this kid, by the sounds of everything I've heard .. he could be something very special. I'm rooting for him bigtime.
    "Never interrupt the enemy when he's making a mistake" Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I Hope they don't rush this kid, by the sounds of everything I've heard .. he could be something very special. I'm rooting for him bigtime.
    The Pirates seem to be very cautious with pitchers, compared to Littlefield's era. They are strict on pitch counts. They are strict on types of pitches per level. It's why it's also tough to evaluate pitchers stats at the minor league level too. It's very common for coaches to have them throwing a larger amount of a specific pitch, or not throw another specific pitch. They might want a guy to regain his fastball and tell him to throw it at a higher percentage of the time than usual. The kid could get hammered but the goal was to get him throwing the ball for strikes. It's like ZVR last season. they had him working and focusing on his Changeup which is his weakness and not using his strengths as much. naturally he won't perform as well and look as good to the average eye, but he's out there working on building up something .

I think that they will be very cautious with Taillon and let him develop at his own pace. I hope

Threads : 27

**** it...rush him...IF HE IS CAPABLE. I'm tired of waiting for talent....as are we all. I'm just saying that no matter what your age, if you perform, you should be called up. It's all about arbitration and free agency blah blah blah. If this kid turns out to be the next Bob Feller...CALL HIM UP!!!

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The Pirates seem to be very cautious with pitchers, compared to Littlefield's era. They are strict on pitch counts. They are strict on types of pitches per level. It's why it's also tough to evaluate pitchers stats at the minor league level too. It's very common for coaches to have them throwing a larger amount of a specific pitch, or not throw another specific pitch. They might want a guy to regain his fastball and tell him to throw it at a higher percentage of the time than usual. The kid could get hammered but the goal was to get him throwing the ball for strikes. It's like ZVR last season. they had him working and focusing on his Changeup which is his weakness and not using his strengths as much. naturally he won't perform as well and look as good to the average eye, but he's out there working on building up something .

I think that they will be very cautious with Taillon and let him develop at his own pace. I hope
    That's a very good point Kipper and one that is vastly overlooked.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    **** it...rush him...IF HE IS CAPABLE. I'm tired of waiting for talent....as are we all. I'm just saying that no matter what your age, if you perform, you should be called up. It's all about arbitration and free agency blah blah blah. If this kid turns out to be the next Bob Feller...CALL HIM UP!!!
    Oh yeah, if he performs he'll get moved up but there's no way he makes big jumps. He's a Highschool pitcher for one and 2 he's gong to be on a pitch count, so he'll only be able to move as far as his pitch count allows him to.

I'm not tired of waiting enough to risk another pitcher blowing out his arm to TJ. I'm more tired of failed pitchers due to injury than losing

Threads : 27

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Oh yeah, if he performs he'll get moved up but there's no way he makes big jumps. He's a Highschool pitcher for one and 2 he's gong to be on a pitch count, so he'll only be able to move as far as his pitch count allows him to.

I'm not tired of waiting enough to risk another pitcher blowing out his arm to TJ. I'm more tired of failed pitchers due to injury than losing
    I feel ya Kip but Feller and Dwight Gooden...among others...debuted when they were 19 or 20.
    I hate pitch counts and the way pitchers are handled now. Add to the fact that pitching coaches always want to change someones delivery. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Sounds cliche...but true...IMO. Plus....there are more surgeries and arm problems now than ever. My belief is the more you throw and maintain a regime...the better you will be. I don't want anyone to blow there arm out but 100 pitches in a game is not a lot...seriously.

I feel ya Kip but Feller and Dwight Gooden...among others...debuted when they were 19 or 20.
    I hate pitch counts and the way pitchers are handled now. Add to the fact that pitching coaches always want to change someones delivery. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Sounds cliche...but true...IMO. Plus....there are more surgeries and arm problems now than ever. My belief is the more you throw and maintain a regime...the better you will be. I don't want anyone to blow there arm out but 100 pitches in a game is not a lot...seriously.
    Bob Feller was from a completely different time and era. Hell he's so old you have to go back quite a few era's there. He debuted at the age of 17

There's always the possibility of a guy like Taillon debuting at about 20 but I doubt we see that unless he's flat out dominating.

I'm not a fan of pitch counts either but with the way these kids are used before they get drafted you have to play careful with them. different time and era too. With the way these kids are throwing their arms out. They've been pampered from such a young age, their arms are conditioned for only so much like you said. the thing is that this needs corrected at an earlier age, you can't start when kids are at this far along in their body's development stage

Threads : 31

I'd love to see Taillon and Allie bust through the different levels but it's about doing what is best for them. Pitch counts are a reality like it or not. With the money these guys got, they **** well better be on a strict pitch count.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    I'd love to see Taillon and Allie bust through the different levels but it's about doing what is best for them. Pitch counts are a reality like it or not. With the money these guys got, they **** well better be on a strict pitch count.
    Exactly.These are just random kids picked up off the street and paid a minimum wage to throw the ball. They're getting multi-million dollars and we used up the biggest part of lifeline as a small market team to get them (the draft). I wouldn't be fetching their slippers and newspaper but I'm treating their arms like I would an infant with a tiny cough

Threads : 8

Strasburg was rushed to the Nats ...that didn't work out so well . And he started his Pro career after College .. Taillon was a senior in High School at this time last year. He needs to grow and get stronger . I would think it will be at least 2013 before we can even think out about seeing him at PNC.
    "Never interrupt the enemy when he's making a mistake" Napoleon Bonaparte

Threads : 61

For every "Bob Feller" and "Dwight Gooden" that made it, I'm willing to bet there are hundreds more future "Bob Fellers" and "Dwight Goodens" that we've never heard of who never made it because they threw their arms out. I'm not willing to take the chance.

There are probably more arm problems and surgeries now than ever because we can diagnose and fix problems better than ever now. We will never know how many pitchers in the early days may have had their careers end over unknown torn ligaments that were never able to properly heal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information