Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How bad were the Special Teams?

Threads : 9

Default How bad were the Special Teams?

Squib kicks to avoid returns. Return for a TD called back by a somewhat iffy holding play...but still giving the Ratbirds great field position. Kicker having to make a tackle to save a TD. When will the insanity stop?
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Default Re: How bad were the Special Teams?

Nice to see our Special teams step up in the post season. Evidently the coaching staff is aware they have a problem and are trying to cover the deficiency by squib kicking to the 30-40 yard line. Perhaps we can just kick and punt everything out of bounds and not rely on somebody making a tackle.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11016/1118441-66.stm

Report card: Steelers vs. Ravens
    Sunday, January 16, 2011
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Special Teams: F

It started bad with a 38-yard kick return and it just went downhill from there. Keyaron Fox's holding penalty on a kick return resulted in poor field position that led to a fumble by Roethlisberger; and Keenan Lewis' illegal-block penalty on a punt return led to poor field position and Mendenhall's fumble. Both turnovers resulted in touchdowns. On top of that, Shaun Suisham missed a 43-yard field goal.

Shaun did make a tackle when the other 10 players on ST could not.
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Special Teams have been nose diving all season. they looked great earlier on but they've done nothing since. The return game doesn't do anything on kicks and punts and the coverage teams have reverted to 2009 minus the 6's.

Luckily the ST's didn't really cost us anything in this game but they need to step it up.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 691

It's been a problem for many years in Pittsburgh,under two Head Coaches and numerous coordinators. Why is a mystery to me.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice to see our Special teams step up in the post season. Evidently the coaching staff is aware they have a problem and are trying to cover the deficiency by squib kicking to the 30-40 yard line. Perhaps we can just kick and punt everything out of bounds and not rely on somebody making a tackle.

Sunday, January 16, 2011
    Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

It started bad with a 38-yard kick return and it just went downhill from there. Keyaron Fox's holding penalty on a kick return resulted in poor field position that led to a fumble by Roethlisberger; and Keenan Lewis' illegal-block penalty on a punt return led to poor field position and Mendenhall's fumble. Both turnovers resulted in touchdowns. On top of that, Shaun Suisham missed a 43-yard field goal.

I do though recall about 2-3 kickoff that, even though they were returned, they went into the endzone.

Call it both ways, if you can.

Threads : 49

Yep, I noticed Suisham's nice kickoffs. At least 2 or 3 went into the endzone. That was about the only bright spot for the ST's yesterday, though.

Tomlin and the ST's coaches have done just a bad job in this area of the team. No way around that. The proof is both Brown AND Randel El fielding punts inside the 5 yard line. What team does that?? I guess the Steelers!

It's gotta improve next week, although I haven't seen much in the last couple months of the season or yesterday that makes me think it will, unfortunately. Let's hope for the best.

Threads : 55

Sunday, January 16, 2011
    Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

One could even argue...
    Shaun's tackle saved a sure Six and won the game for us...
    Akin to Big Ben on Jerome's fumble...
    Either way...
    Skippy Would Have **** His Pants...
    Hidden Content

"PAPPY" 39~10
    ~ICP 010~

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    Yep, I noticed Suisham's nice kickoffs. At least 2 or 3 went into the endzone. That was about the only bright spot for the ST's yesterday, though.

Tomlin and the ST's coaches have done just a bad job in this area of the team. No way around that. The proof is both Brown AND Randel El fielding punts inside the 5 yard line. What team does that?? I guess the Steelers!

It's gotta improve next week, although I haven't seen much in the last couple months of the season or yesterday that makes me think it will, unfortunately. Let's hope for the best.

Yeah their punt coverage is pretty rough. I attribute a lot of that though to having to pull a guy off the streets and try to cover his line drive kicks.

I don't seem to recall the punt coverage being this bad when Sepulveda was kicking this year.

And I don't fault the coaches for Brown/ARE fielding deep punts like they did. I mean let's be honest, I'm pretty sure they're not being coached to do that. Those gaffes are on the players not the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    I do though recall about 2-3 kickoff that, even though they were returned, they went into the endzone.
    How was the KO coverage on those KOs? maybe that is one of the reasons we started squib kicking.

How was the KO coverage on those KOs? maybe that is one of the reasons we started squib kicking.
    Perhaps, but outside of the opening kickoff, I don't recall any other kick returns being brought back for real good field position. In fact I distinctly remember one where the Ravens player was lit up pretty good just at about the 20 and then the holding took them back to the 10.

Do you recall any other good kick returns besides the opening kick?

I dunno, squib kicking from your own 15 gets about as retarded as can be, regardless.

Luckily Flacco sucks and the defense really stepped it up in that situation but the fact is the Ravens got the ball at around midfield with that squib and there was still about 1:30 left in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Yeah their punt coverage is pretty rough. I attribute a lot of that though to having to pull a guy off the streets and try to cover his line drive kicks.

I don't seem to recall the punt coverage being this bad when Sepulveda was kicking this year.

[HIGH-LIGHT]And I don't fault the coaches for Brown/ARE fielding deep punts like they did. I mean let's be honest, I'm pretty sure they're not being coached to do that. Those gaffes are on the players not the coaches.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Oh, I doubt the coaches are telling them that, but what exactly are they telling them, though? When something becomes a pattern, coaching needs to share a good bit of the blame. I can't recall any other team that has not one BUT two returners fielding balls inside the 5 yard line on punts. That is inexcusable, IMO. Combine that with all the other ST problems and it doesn't paint a very good picture for the coaches or players.

I dunno, squib kicking from your own 15 gets about as retarded as can be, regardless.

Luckily Flacco sucks and the defense really stepped it up in that situation but the fact is the Ravens got the ball at around midfield with that squib and there was still about 1:30 left in the game.
    Yeah but obviously, and rightfully, the coaches have a lot more confidence in the D preventing a game tying last minute TD drive than they do stopping a kick coming back for a TD.

Looking at those choices I'd much rather put it on the D then the special teams hence why I didn't find that call so atrocious. If they only needed 3 then it's a different story.

Oh, I doubt the coaches are telling them that, but what exactly are they telling them, though? When something becomes a pattern, coaching needs to share a good bit of the blame. I can't recall any other team that has not one BUT two returners fielding balls inside the 5 yard line on punts. That is inexcusable, IMO. Combine that with all the other ST problems and it doesn't paint a very good picture for the coaches or players.
    I begrudingly give Brown a pass as he's a rook, but moreso those punts drove him back that far and he lost track of where he was on the field. Hopefully that gets better over time.

But for ARE, the 'safe' return guy specifically to catch or let go punts inside the 20, who's a longtime vet, it's inexcusable.

Threads : 12

Sunday, January 16, 2011
    Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

It started bad with a 38-yard kick return and it just went downhill from there. [HIGH-LIGHT]Keyaron Fox's holding penalty on a kick return resulted in poor field position that led to a fumble by Roethlisberger; and Keenan Lewis' illegal-block penalty on a punt return led to poor field position and Mendenhall's fumble.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Both turnovers resulted in touchdowns. On top of that, Shaun Suisham missed a 43-yard field goal.

To correlate bad field position with Ben's fumble and Mendenhall's fumble is ridiculous. The field position had nothing to do with it. Ben fumbled because of the pass rush, nothing more. Mendenhall fumbled because he just dropped the ball.

Complain about the bad special teams if you want, but to link what happened later is a real stretch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information