Thread: List your top 10 Steeler Playoff games that you remember in your lifetime!

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default List your top 10 Steeler Playoff games that you remember in your lifetime!

Alright title is simple enough. Since, I was pretty young during the 70's, I don't remember the Superbowl years, and my first playoff game I remember was the 83 schooling the Steelers took in LA.

Here's my list:

1. Steelers beating Indy in the divisional round of 06 playoffs. That game was where the Steelers defeated all odds to go to the Superbowl. indy should have won the Superbowl this year, and probably would have if this game didn't happen like it did. Granted, as history goes on, it's kinda proven that when Manning gets to the playoffs he cho cho cho choookes, but still this was the Patriots year. Yet, this one was such a memorable game. Especially compared to the Monday Night debacle in Indy early in the year when Indy just stomped the steelers. In this game though, the Steelers just came out with a different gameplan and stromed to a nice lead. Porter's two sacks against Peyton where he was ****ed at the refs for trying to cheat was just a thing of beauty.

2. Superbowl XLIII! Harrisons monster run to finish the 1st half, and Santonios catch to seal the deal at the end. This game will be considered one of the best Superbowls, although I rank it just one back of the Patriots-NY Giants game from a year before.

3. Yesterday's game. That comeback was mighty sweet. Granted the books aren't finished yet on this season.

4. 2009 AFC Championship game against Baltimore. I was really concerned as the clock ticked down, and Baltimore was only down by 2 driving down the field. All they needed was a field goal to seal it, then a PICK by Polamalu seals the deal as he runs it back in one of the most exciting interception returns i've seen. I still would rank yesterday's game over this one, just because the Steelers had a lot more to overcome yesterday.

5. 1989 Wildcard game in Houston. Played on New Years eve, as we were saying goodbye to the 80's and the years of Atari, Madonna, Star Wars, and Jams. This game was memorable to me, because up to this point, the Steelers weren't really that good in the 80's then they squeaked into the playoffs to play against a superior Houston squad that beat them twice in the regular season. The game was such a seesaw of back and forth scoring, and the Steelers win it in OT! This one kinda set the score for the much better 90's we would experience.

6. 1996 AFC Championship game against the Colts. This is the only game from the 90's i'm putting in here because for the most part most of the playoff games in the 90's weren't that great, except for this one. I just got back to my apartment at PSU and watched this one with my roomates. This game was also a seesaw of minor increments all game long. Colts up by 3. Steelers tie. Colts kick a field goal. Steelers go up at half 10-6. Then the Colts go up by 4 in the 4th, and the jitters from the previous year's AFC championship loss to the Chargers started to set in. Then Bam Morris takes it in and the steelers go back up to take the lead. With time ticking off, the Colts toss up a hail mary that is deflected, and the STEELERS GO TO THE SUPERBOWL FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE 70's only to lose to the Cowpokies.

7. The 36-33 comeback against the Browns to start off 2003. The Browns only bright spot since returning back to the NFL in 99. They made the playoffs matchup with the Steelers in the wildcard round, and completely outplay the Steelers through 2 and a half quarters taking a 24-7 lead. Then, the Steelers started chipping away at the lead. They get it to 27-14, then 27-21...then the Browns scored and it looks like they sealed the deal at 33-21. NOPE! Bring out the bumbling Clowns. They let the Steelers scrore two late touchdowns to win it! The Steelers would then go lose to the Titans in OT the next week in a pretty close one where once again the Steelers pulled out some magic to climb back from a 14 point deficit only to lose in the end.

8. Superbowl XL against Seattle. The first half of this game wasn't memorable at all, as the Steelers couldn't orchestrate any drives until the last one where they finally scored on 3rd down in the controversial ball breaking the plane. But, the 2nd half proved memorable when the Steelers made the crucial plays to win it. Willies run, and the Randel to Ward bomb were two stellar plays in a game that wasn't the greatest, but it was a Superbowl victory for the Steelers!

9. 2006 AFC Championship in Denver. Everyone thats a Steelers fan has to admit they were probably nervous about this one with Cowher heading into another AFC Championship game. But, man did the Steelers put together one of the best complete playoff performances in this game. I was at this game, and I still remember seeing Troy run and stumble from the whole way across the field making a shoe string tackle to stop a crucial 3rd down. The luck bounced the Steelers way all through this one, and the team started to feel destined at this point to win a Superbowl.

10. AFC wildcard game loss to Jacksonville. Ok, while they might have lost this one, this was a game where the emotions swang in so many directions. This one felt like the Baltimore game yesterday. The Jags go up 21-7 by half, and it wasnt looking good after the 3rd when the score was 28-10. This Steeler team had many injuries this year, and weren't very healthy... but BEN! Ben pulled some magic out of his hat in the 4th by tossing two crucial TD's to get the Steelers within a TD, and then the Steelers took the lead 29-28. At this point, we felt sort of destined to play against the ohh so perfect Patriots the following week, but nope, the Jags won it when Gerrard managed to make a miracle 4th down. They would end up kicking the winning field goal. This game sort of hurt, but considering how they managed to storm back in the 4th, it showed that Ben was one of the greatest in the game.
    Last edited by foslrock; Jan-16-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Still for me is the Steelers @ Colts in 05. All those games that year we were supposed to lose but this one sticks out because of the Bus fumble and Bens subsequent show string tackle. Will never forget that one. The Super Bowl was almost a let down after how awesome the playoff run was.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: List your top 10 Steeler Playoff games that you remember in your lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still for me is the Steelers @ Colts in 05. All those games that year we were supposed to lose but this one sticks out because of the Bus fumble and Bens subsequent show string tackle. Will never forget that one. The Super Bowl was almost a let down after how awesome the playoff run was.
    That colts game was 10 times better than that Super Bowl, I agree.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817

Default Re: List your top 10 Steeler Playoff games that you remember in your lifetime!

I'll have to say that Superbowl XLIII would top my list. I loved everything about that game. While I still don't think it should've ever been that close, it had so many emotional swings with a great ending

2nd is the Colts 2005 playoff game. That games saw us jump out to a big lead and hold onto win it by Ben's shoestring tackle and an easy missed FG

3rd is the Colts 1995 game that sent us to SB XXX

4th is the playoff win over Houston in 1989 that we had little business winning :d We almost beat Denver in that following game too. that was the first playoff game I really really remember. The others from 84 and 83 I remember but barely. I was too young to recall much outside of a football game being on So the Houston game was my first true Playoffs experience
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, i'm in the same boat with that 89 Houston game. I remember being ecstatic after that one.. then they did almost pull it out in Denver the week after. But, yeah, that was my first real taste of playoff victories too. Although, i do remember the 83 loss to the Raiders for some reason. But, I can't recall much about the following season in 84. I think I was too busy listening to Motley Crews shout at the devil.

Threads : 691

For me Super Bowl XIII,when the Steelers defeated the hated Dallas Cowboys 35-31
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 188

Super Bowl X.....Brashaw throws a bomb to Swann late in the 4th to seal the game.....Bradshaw gets nailed by Cliff Harris after he gets the pass off......a hit that woulda made Goodell **** in his pants.......
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information