Thread: Steelers: No-huddle might be fun, but it does have its flaws

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers: No-huddle might be fun, but it does have its flaws

Steelers: No-huddle might be fun, but it does have its flaws
    Saturday, November 07, 2009
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09311...d=steelers.xml

Santonio Holmes could see more of the no-huddle offense Monday. Baltimore used the hurry-up offense 31 times in its 30-7 victory against Denver last Sunday.To those who yearn to see the Steelers implement the K-Gun offense run by Jim Kelly and the Buffalo Bills in the late 1980s, forget it.

To those who want to see the Steelers run their no-huddle offense for an entire game, don't hold your breath.

Even though it has a high success rate, the no-huddle will remain what it has always been for the Steelers: A tactic to change the tempo of the game and give the offense, when needed, an emotional and strategic lift.

It will remain an element of surprise, a package no different than the way some NFL teams employ the Wildcat formation.

"It's hard," said wide receiver Hines Ward, who leads the team with 42 catches and 602 receiving yards. "You get tired. You have to be in shape. You don't have to use it every time."

"To run the no-huddle all the time wouldn't be too effective," said wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

The Steelers have had great success running their no-huddle offense, and much of the credit goes to Ben Roethlisberger, who calls all the plays at the line of scrimmage.

They started the game against the Minnesota Vikings using the no-huddle, then used it again to score a late touchdown in the first half on a 40-yard pass to Mike Wallace.

But, while it seems to be a successful way to catch a defense off-balance, the offense also has its flaws, according to coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

In this day and age of substitution packages and personnel groupings, the no-huddle limits the rest of the offense because coaches are unable to shuttle in different players to use different formations.

"It limits you way too much," Arians said. "It limits what you can do offensively. You take away a lot of your play-action game and things you can do with a game plan. You basically don't have a game plan. If you go no-huddle [all the time], shoot, I can take every night off.

"It's a tool you use to change the tempo of the game, but you're limited in your personnel. It's not something we want to do wholesale every game."

The no-huddle -- also known as the hurry-up offense -- was popularized by the Bills, who used the K-Gun offense almost exclusively when Kelly was their quarterback.

The Baltimore Ravens used it for 31 plays in last Sunday's 30-7 victory against the Denver Broncos, heightening the belief that it could be an effective tactic for the Steelers (5-2) in Monday night's game against the Broncos (6-1) in Denver.

"I don't think you can last with it," Arians said. "I don't think you can run the ball well enough and play the way Buffalo did. It's a very good change of pace, but I don't think you can make a living at it."

Ward agreed, but he also knows it can be -- and has been -- an effective weapon for the offense, which ranks sixth in the National Football League.

"It's something that Ben likes to do to keep the defense on its heels," Ward said. "They can't sit there and call in plays. They have to be in basic coverage and, by knowing that, we kind of know what [defense] they're in. We just got a great feel with it and we've had great success with it."

The Broncos, who ranked third in the league in rush defense (86.1 yards per game), allowed 125 yards rushing against the Ravens -- the first time this season an opponent has rushed for more than 100 yards against them.

The Steelers would like to try to do the same, even if they go to their no-huddle.

"Normally you pass the ball out of the no-huddle," Ward said. "But we run the ball as well."

All part of the element of surprise.

Threads : 135

Default Re: Steelers: No-huddle might be fun, but it does have its flaws

The key to that whole article for me:

"It limits you way too much," Arians said. "It limits what you can do offensively. You take away a lot of your play-action game and things you can do with a game plan. You basically don't have a game plan.[high-light] If you go no-huddle [all the time], shoot, I can take every night off.[/high-light]

"It's a tool you use to change the tempo of the game, but you're limited in your personnel. It's not something we want to do wholesale every game."
    GOOD! I hope you never have the night "on" again!
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 122

To that article I say ****ing BULL****! I am calling a big fat BULL**** on that article. Of course you don't go no huddle all ****ing game long dumb ****s. But is using a 'package' that you totally kick ****ing *** at once during an entire game and watch your offense muddle along the rest of the game smart? Is that smart Brucey Boy you tool bag? It limits your ability to swap personel and run play action? When is the last time your dumb ****ing *** set up a play action pass? Please tell me the last time we had a running game going that would set up the play action pass.

BRUCE ARIANS IS A ****ING R-E-T-A-R-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to say...sorry for so much swearing. This topic gets me fired up cause I have been arguing for the no huddle going on a couple seasons now. I will try and tone down the cussing from now on.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; Nov-07-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BRUCE ARIANS IS A ****ING R-E-T-A-R-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LoL!..... Don't beat around the bush, MP... Tell us how you really feel!...

Yea, you don't use it all game, but you sure as hell can use it moreso than we have been doing... It's an effective way to possibly change momentum as well as keep a tired defense on their heels... Brucie-boy is a tool, as I've been saying for the last two years along with other folks.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I dont get it. It limits play action passing? But you have to have a running game for that to work. When Mendenhall is running well we go away from him...how does that establish a running game that helps create good play-action passing attempts? BA just doesn't make sense in general. He's an idiot.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I dont get it. It limits play action passing? But you have to have a running game for that to work. When Mendenhall is running well we go away from him...how does that establish a running game that helps create good play-action passing attempts? BA just doesn't make sense in general. He's an idiot.
    All of this talking out of both sides of his mouth and jibberish he spews just confirms to me he is just along for the ride surrounded by talented players that make him look good.

All I will say is there is not, and never will be an excuse, to have Ben, Hines, Holmes, Wallace, McDonald, Sweed, Heath, Spaeth, Mendenhall, Moore, Parker, .......and struggle on offense. Never an excuse. If you struggle and only put up a touchdown or two in 60 minutes with that crew of high draft picks and proven NFL'ers,then you suck.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    All of this talking out of both sides of his mouth and jibberish he spews just confirms to me he is just along for the ride surrounded by talented players that make him look good.

.... That is what he does.... He took Cleveland to the playoffs based on their TALENT, not his schemes... He has done well here because of the TALENT, not his schemes... He didn't get as much as an interview after being the OC of the Super Bowl winner because everyone in the league and the freakin' world know that he is not the answer to anything.... He sucks.

.... Have I said lately that Arians is ****ing pathetic?!

He does not win games, we win them INSPITE of him due to our talent.... He does not adjust, he does not utilize the players accoedingly, he does not gameplan well...

For those of you that like him, I applaud your line of thinking... Different opinions is what makes the world and board go 'round.... But I just do not think this clown will take us anywhere we need to go.... We are getting there on the merit of the players, not him.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 183

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

.... That is what he does.... He took Cleveland to the playoffs based on their TALENT, not his schemes... He has done well here because of the TALENT, not his schemes... He didn't get as much as an interview after being the OC of the Super Bowl winner because everyone in the league and the freakin' world know that he is not the answer to anything.... He sucks.

.... Have I said lately that Arians is ****ing pathetic?!

He does not win games, we win them INSPITE of him due to our talent.... He does not adjust, he does not utilize the players accoedingly, he does not gameplan well...

For those of you that like him, I applaud your line of thinking... Different opinions is what makes the world and board go 'round.... But I just do not think this clown will take us anywhere we need to go.... We are getting there on the merit of the players, not him.

I agree with this assessment. I do wonder how we can be so good in the 2nd Quarter and consistently come out and screw up drives so easily in the 3rd quarter. I just about had a coniption (whatever that is) when parker went into the game against the vikings. In the vikes game we ran the ball nicely off RT with RM and did it twice each time getting over 15 yards and we did not go back to it. That was frustrating. I think no matter whose the OC the key is for Ben to feel comfortable with that person. Ben so far seems to know when to go to no huddle and seems to have trust in coaching staff to allow him to make the call as to when they start to run it.

Heres the biggest thing I have to say about Arians. He's a fool. He talks about game planning, but he simply cant do it.

College coaches today in the Alabama game wanted to run at the right DE of LSU...the announcers talked about it all game...and Alabama had a TON of success with it.

Teams can be missing whole secondaries and we dont challenge them...we could have 3-4 good runs on one area of the OL and never go back there.

Arians lacks an essential skill to the best coaches===common sense intellect. If it works...keep goin' to it until they stop it repeatedly.

He is what he is...a coach with a good amount of O talent around him who he brings down to his level instead of allowing to rise to their own level of excellence.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obviously running no-huddle all game isn't practical. I'd have thought that would be aparrent to the meanest intelligence. I think the point that several of us here have made is that we seem to do better when BA keeps shtum and the no-huddle starts up.

This does rather undermine BA's credentials as a play-caller and he's not going to do himself out of a job.

Honestly, every gag I heard as a drummer can be modded to fit BA. "How can you tell if a football field's even? Arians dribbles from both sides of his mouth".

Ben loves Arians because Arians lets Ben do what he wants. My fear is Ben isn't bright enough to make all the decisions. Tomlin isn't messing with it because quite honestly, Tomlin hasn't changed one coach since he arrived here and quite honestly, we have won a boatload so no real need to change.

However, If we stumble due to a poor offense that is stifled in the playoffs, and Arians isn't fired in Tomlins post game interview, then I gotta wonder how much Tomlin is steering the ship and how much he is just along for the ride surrounded by a legendary defensive coordinator, a HOF caliber QB, and a lot of talented offensive and defensive players.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information