Thread: Ravens would consider signing Plaxico Burress

Threads : 440

Default Ravens would consider signing Plaxico Burress

Ravens would consider signing Plaxico Burress

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2011

Receiver Plaxico Burress is a free agent. Until June, however, he’s not free.

When his prison term ends, one team that has been trying to upgrade the receiver position could be interested.

The Ravens.

“I don’t know Plaxico Burress at all, I’ve never met him, but we’d consider him,” coach John Harbaugh said Monday, per NFL.com. “We’d consider anybody. It just depends on where he’s at. I’d like to find out what kind of person he is, to see where he’s really at in his life.”

Burress went to jail in 2009 after pleading guilty to charges arising from carrying a loaded weapon into a Manhattan nightclub. The gun went off, shooting Burress through the leg.

Last year, the Ravens traded for Anquan Boldin in the offseason, and they landed T.J. Houshmandzadeh after he was dumped by the Seahawks in the final preseason roster cuts. But Boldin was invisible for long stretches of Saturday night’s game, and Houshmandzadeh dropped a pass that would have extended a potential game-tying drive.

Though Burress, if he still can play after two years away from the field, would be an upgrade, the Ravens still need a consistent deep threat that can stretch the field and draw double coverage. Burress would be great along the sidelines or in the back of the end zone, but to truly upgrade, the Ravens may need to make a run at Terrell Owens or Randy Moss.

Though no longer truly dominant, they provide more of a down-the-field presence than anyone currently on the Ravens’ roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...axico-burress/

Threads : 60

Default Re: Ravens would consider signing Plaxico Burress

They already have a guy that knows how to use a knife, they might as well get a guy that has a gun. I didn't say he knows how to use a gun.

Eli Manning: Getting Plaxico back would be a “good thing”

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2011

Plaxico Burress’ agent Drew Rosenhaus promised this week that Plaxico Burress would be back in the NFL in 2012.

The Giants have publicly remained open to the possibility, and teammates like Brandon Jacobs have said Burress would be welcomed back with open arms.

While the Giants haven’t won a playoff game since Burress left, they have developed one of the best young receiver groups in the league with Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, and Mario Manningham. Would Burress really help?

“I think they know what kind of player he is,” Eli Manning said on ESPN Radio in New York Friday via Newsday. “Obviously he knows our system. It hasn’t changed. . . . I know what kind of player he can be and we already have a great corps of receivers right now. To throw him into the mix would be a good thing.”

Burress’ close relationship with Giants co-owner Steve Tisch certainly makes a possible Plaxico reunion in New York more likely.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-good-thing/

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When are they going to realize that they could have an all-Star roster of WR's and it won't matter as long as they have an overrated QB without the mental strength, will and ability to perform in big games and make the plays when it matters most?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “We’d consider anybody. It just depends on where he’s at. I’d like to find out what kind of person he is, to see where he’s really at in his life.”
    Contrast this with the thread concerning the stripper shortage in Texas "I mean we're not just hiring anyone. They have to meet the right criteria," the New York Daily News quoted one woman who answered the phone at the club as saying.

Speaks volumes

Hines Ward wants Plaxico Burress back

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2011

Several years ago, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said that he’d like to add a tall receiver to his arsenal of targets. Receiver Hines Ward didn’t appreciate the remark.

“I don’t hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that,” Ward said at the time. “I don’t buy into height. Look at my red-zone touchdowns. I have as many as anyone in the league.”

Now, look who’s asking for a tall receiver.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News (via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News), Ward said Tuesday that he wants the Steelers to sign Plaxico Burress once he is released from jail.

Burress was drafted by the Steelers in 2000. He signed with the Giants in 2005.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-burress-back/

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They'd give Plax a shot. If it doesn't work out, they could always fire him.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Updated: February 12, 2011, 3:34 PM ET

WR Plaxico Burress in 'terrific shape'

ESPN.com news services

Though he hasn't yet been released from prison, wide receiver Plaxico Burress is already leaving an impression on the NFL.

On Saturday, Burress' agent Drew Rosenhaus joined the chorus of those saying the imprisoned wide receiver looks to be in good shape and could help an NFL team.

"[Burress] is doing great! He is running & lifting weights 5 days a week," Rosenhaus tweeted after visiting Burress in jail Saturday. "He looks in terrific shape."

Burress, who will be released on June 6, has also caught the eye of former New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers teammates.

Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who has also visited Burress, said last week he'd be happy to see the 6-foot-5 receiver back on the field.

"He looks great. He is lean; he is in good shape. He's focused and he seems happy. I just can't wait for him to come out and I think he is going to have a great impact a la Michael Vick," Umenyiora said.

Giants quarterback Eli Manning has even gone so far to say that reuniting with his once favored target "could be a good thing."

Burress, 33, has not played in the league since accidentally shooting himself in the leg with an unlicensed handgun while at a night club on November 28, 2008, but hopes to return to the NFL.

"We talked at length about his future in the NFL & he.....can't wait to get back on the football field in 2011," Rosenhaus tweeted. "He is mentally & physically strong right now and is looking forward to the future!"

The Giants aren't the only team with players rooting for a Burress comeback. Hines Ward, who was teammates with Burress in Pittsburgh from 2000 to 2005, said he'd welcome a Steelers reunion.

"I know he's getting out pretty soon," Ward said during Super Bowl XLV media day. "For all I know, we'll end up getting Plax on our team. He'll be welcomed with open arms. ... [It was] an unfortunate incident, and I prayed for him a lot. I had some good years with Plax."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6115965

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information