Thread: Does the Bye week make a team Flat?

Threads : 30

Default Does the Bye week make a team Flat?

It seems that teams that have had a bye sometime come out flat. I think it happened to the Steelers but we overcame it. But I think the Patriots seem to suffer from it

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Does the Bye week make a team Flat?

Quote Originally Posted by doc21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems that teams that have had a bye sometime come out flat. I think it happened to the Steelers but we overcame it. But I think the Patriots seem to suffer from it
    I'm not the biggest fan of Bye Weeks. I'd prefer to have home field and not have a BYE Week. Sure, a couple bruises were healed but at this point in the season so many players are dinged up, an extra week off won't make a difference for most of them and others like Aaron Smith didn't play, so it made no difference there.

I think the lack of that competition, energy, activity plays into it psychologically. It can be overcome of course but think teams can get caught being a little out of the competitive mold that a team who played the previous week has
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Add two more Wildcards and have everyone play the first week. The Steelers did come out flat but were able to get it going in the second half. Baltimore didn't have a bye week and they were flat the whole game...

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Add two more Wildcards and have everyone play the first week. The Steelers did come out flat but were able to get it going in the second half. Baltimore didn't have a bye week and they were flat the whole game...
    haven't they discussed in recently years adding 2 more teams to the playoffs? I'm not sure it's feasible for the length of a season since it should add an extra week to the playoffs but it would then suggest that half of the teams in the NFL can get into the playoffs. Not sure it waters down the competition like the NHL does with their 1/2+ gets in or the opposite where the few fortunate in MLB get in (8 of 30/)
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Why not just have 8 games the first week. Every div winner plays a wild card opponent?

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Why not just have 8 games the first week. Every div winner plays a wild card opponent?
    Because I think the NFL still wants to keep the reward in place for being one of the best teams during the regular season. Keeps the regular season that much more meaningful. Maybe you worry about coming out sluggish after a bye week, but I still feel it's something worth shooting for. Your team gets healthier after a long regular season and you have one less game you have to play to reach the Super Bowl. I think it's nice that we've only had to play one playoff game and here we are in the AFC Championship game. And maybe having to play the last 2 weeks on the road will catch up to the Jets stamina wise. If the game is close going into the 4th quarter, we may benefit from that bye week we had. Considering how banged up our team has been this year, I think it helps as far as that is concerned. Just my opinion.

Threads : 60

I sit the fence with the bye week thoughts. I think if your good it really doesn't matter. I do like the fact there is some healling time. The lack of a bye week sure didn't hurt us for super bowl xl

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I sit the fence with the bye week thoughts. I think if your good it really doesn't matter. I do like the fact there is some healling time. The lack of a bye week sure didn't hurt us for super bowl xl
    Yeah I mean who knows if we would have been healthy enough to play without the bye. If you are the real deal then it shouldn't take more than a quarter to shake off the rust. On the other hand I always feel like there are about 4 teams that are playoff worthy that get left out. But that's also part of the fun of the NFL. In the NHL almost half of the teams make it to post season. I think the vet teams put it in cruise control sometimes. Save it for the playoffs. That might not be such a good thing for the fans.

Threads : 16
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the bye week does tend to make some teams flat. However, playing 2 games instead of 3 is so key. No matter how good you are, you can be beat on any given Sunday. These games can swing on just 1 play, or one stupid penalty. IMHO playing one extra game increases your chances of losing a game you should have won. Plus it increases your chances of getting a key player injured. Ill take playing one less game in the playoffs every year if I can get it.

Threads : 60

I think the muscle or physical teams that like to boast a good tough defense and rely upon a solid running atatck has a better chance of winning coming off the bye. Teams like the Colts and Cheats to me that rely heavily upon routes, timing and what have will see the ill affects of a week off.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If a team is flat it is not because they had a bye week, Steelers or Bears didn't seem flat to me, the Pats and Falcons were just outplayed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information