Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PST G33k Squ4d

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default PST G33k Squ4d

Alright here is the next landmark Beezy thread

Catch all for computer chat!

This is my software of the week. Totally free. Team Viewer.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

They have a free app for iPhone and I am sure there is an Android version too. It pretty much works on anything. It's remote computer access. My desktop is the main sever of my set up. I can access it though both my laptop and iPhone. It's easy to set up and intuitive to use. It has multi-monitor support. Which is important because I use 2 with my desktop. On iPhone you just shake the phone to switch. On laptop there is a button at the top for it. For set up. Just download the appropriate version for the device. The computer you want to connect to you need to copy and the login and password. Input that on the Team Viewer in the computer you are connection from and hit connect, boom.

Threads : 215

Default Re: PST G33k Squ4d

I'll check Team Viewer out. I'm not sure I need to access my computer from my phone, but it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll check Team Viewer out. I'm not sure I need to access my computer from my phone, but it could happen.
    It's not something I would need very often but I am certain it will come in handy at some point. Computer to computer is a lot more useful for me because my desktop is in the attic and I really only go up there at night. I really need to organize files as hard drive space is getting tight. I can sit down in the living room and organize from my laptop now. I can access my files similarly to an FTP as well. Also one of the big things you can do is give help to someone else. Just tell them to download and install Team Viewer and then give you the login and you can see what the problem is for yourself.

That would be a cool tool.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 413

We use Crossloop here at work. Sounds very similar. Wonder if one is better than another.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    We use Crossloop here at work. Sounds very similar. Wonder if one is better than another.
    Not sure but looking quickly it looks like someone needs to be on the other end. I have team viewer running all the time on my desktop and I can log in anytime I want from iPhone or laptop. Team Viewer is not ad supported. The pro version costs money but the version if used for private use is exactly the same as the paid version but is free to use. I originally found it through the iPhone app store. Was looking at paid applications anywhere from 10 to 100 bucks and in the comments someone said team viewer is better than all of those and totally free so I grabbed it up. I love it.

Alright next g33k squ4d subject... what browser are you using and what plug-ins. Kinda curious as I was talking about plug-ins on another board and I realized that I don't really even use any. I have fireftp on Firefox 4beta and that is IT! Call me weird but on my laptop I use Chrome then of course Safari mobile on the phone. I haven't used IE since like 2002. At that time I switched to Mozilla and Opera and stuck with Opera for a long time because of the tabbed browsing that all of them have now but Opera was the first I am pretty sure. Then Mozilla changed to Firefox and they added the tabs so basically been a Firefox fanboy since then. Opera is still nice but got swallowed up by the competition. I used the Opera mini on my old phones. Actually going back to the flip phone before that one. It was the closest thing to being bearable on my phone. IE mobile was always terrible. Opera is on Wii and now I see it's going to be an update for newer Sony products. It will be coming to my Bluray in fact. I don't know how much I would use it but it could come in handy. Maybe I can stream my subsonic server to the living room too! So anyway they are staying relevant somehow. Just put Safari on too, it's not bad.

Team Viewer and Crossloop are going on my "To Do" list. I am trying the "speech to text" (home & Droid), Bluetooth (truck, Droid, home), "text to speech" and "type to text" as in texting, in the near future. I have had some need for all of them at some point the previous year.

I am warming up to the idea of using a webcam and some kind of messenger together, sometime this year also.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Alright next g33k squ4d subject... what browser are you using and what plug-ins. Kinda curious as I was talking about plug-ins on another board and I realized that I don't really even use any. I have fireftp on Firefox 4beta and that is IT! Call me weird but on my laptop I use Chrome then of course Safari mobile on the phone. I haven't used IE since like 2002. At that time I switched to Mozilla and Opera and stuck with Opera for a long time because of the tabbed browsing that all of them have now but Opera was the first I am pretty sure. Then Mozilla changed to Firefox and they added the tabs so basically been a Firefox fanboy since then. Opera is still nice but got swallowed up by the competition. I used the Opera mini on my old phones. Actually going back to the flip phone before that one. It was the closest thing to being bearable on my phone. IE mobile was always terrible. Opera is on Wii and now I see it's going to be an update for newer Sony products. It will be coming to my Bluray in fact. I don't know how much I would use it but it could come in handy. Maybe I can stream my subsonic server to the living room too! So anyway they are staying relevant somehow. Just put Safari on too, it's not bad.
    I use a bunch of Add-on's/Extensions.

Firefox :

Fireftp (FTP so I can access servers and upload and download files between my PC and a remote server)
    Right to click (Overwrites websites that don't allow you to right click and access the menu to copy, paste, save etc...)
    Minimze to tray (instead of minimizing the browser down to the main tool bar, it minimizes to the system tray by the clock)
    Shareaholic (allows me with once click to share the page I'm viewing with a variety of sources like Twitter, Facebook etc.. I mainly use it because it has "bit.ly" which is a URL shortener. Often times during game threads, I will use this and shorten the URL and post to Twitter)
    Feedly (It's basically the Feed Burner/Rss Reader I use. It's fantastic and powered by Google Reader. one click of hits button opens up a page that is organized like a website but with only the content that I chose to add there through the power of RSS. It's the only way I read on the internet anymore)
    Download helper (allows me to download various media files and such on the internet like youtube videos etc..)
    Firebug (a web developers dream. Best tool I've ever used. It allows me to view all of the code for a webpage and temporarily alter that code. Basically I can take this page and toy around with the colors and arrangements as a preview without changing anything. The other thing it's great for is finding hidden video embeds. Like NFL.com for example. You can't embed their videos or really do anything with them except send a link to that site to view the video. With Firebug, I click the button, highlight the video and shows me the code for me to copy)
    Adblock plus (One of the best tools for a browser. How this isn't built into every browser by default by now is amazing)
    adblock plus pop up blocker (The pop-up version)
    Bar tab (Awesome Add-on. It allows you to unload websites. When you unload a website, it forces it to not run. Why this isn't built into browsers by default is also amazing. Every tab you have open even if it's not in use, is running. It's still loaded through the browser. With this tool, you can right click on a tab not in use and it kills the site but keeps the tab. As soon as you click on the tab to open it, it reloads. This add-on saves SO MUCH resources.)
    Firesizer (It's a useless tool if you don't web develop. I have it because I need to check websites at various different sizes and this allows me to have a setting that stores as many and whatever sizes I want and with one click, on the specific size I choose it resizes the browser.)
    Lightshot (A pretty nice and simple Add-on that allows me to do custom screen shots. Click on the button and you are given a utensil to highlight whatever you want and it takes a screenshot of it. You have the option to save it or copy it. The copy function is completely useless but if I take the copy URL into a new tab it gives me the image in Imageshack to click, save and put on a site like this one. Pretty quick and easy. Would be quicker if the copy file included a .jpg, .png option)
    Open Download (Gives you the option on a download to "run" a file. As it is with Firefox and Google Chrome, when you download a file, you can't run that file, you have to save it. Internet Explorer always gave you the option to "run". This add-on provides that option. cuts out extra clicking and searching )
    Session Manager (Stores a backup of your browser sessions. I don't remember how many previous sessions it recently stores but it's a lot and you can also save a session. It's funny, I have saved sessions that are are pretty old and it opens them. It's great incase of crashes, power outtages or if you are in the middle of something and someone needs the computer, you can save that session and give someone a fresh browser and you can resume right where you left later and not have worried about someone closing a site you had up or something)
    Yoono (this is what I use on the iPhone as well. Basically it's a one button click to gives you an adjustable sidebar on the left hand side of the browser. There it's like an instant messenger but for Twitter and Facebook etc... I use it mainly for Facebook and Twitter. I like the tools, it's small size to a standalone like say Trillion and personally like how it's attached to the browser and in the browser. Really helpful for me when Im doing GDT's and interacting on here and on Twitter and also reading on Twitter for any important information I find to share.)

Google

Problem with Google is a lot of the same Add-on's I have for it that I have for Firefox simply aren't as good.

Yoono (Has a lot of bugs and some functions don't work right, it's not attached to the browser as a sidebar and often crashes)
    Session Manager (not quite as nice as the Firefox one. Doesn't have as intensive amount of options but I do like the button option for Chrome that I don't have for Firefox.)
    Lightshot (Same as Firefox, once my download goes through. for some reason won't accept my authenticty)
    Shareaholic (Same as Firefoxs)
    Open Bookmarks (I seriously had to download an extension to have a ****ing button to access by bookmarks. Chrome's customization abilities are really *** in general)
    Resize Window (does the same thing as my Firefox Window Resizer)
    Feedly (same as my Firefox one)
    Firebug Lite (lacks all of the tools the Firefox version has but it has just enough to be helpful. i wouldn't use it in the same capacity for web developing as I do with the Firefox version)
    Minimze to Tray (Same as Firefox)
    Allow Right Click (Same as "Right to click" for Fire Fox)
    AdBlock (Same as Firefox's but lacks all of the same options and abilities and of course the pop up one)
    Pandora (I can listen to Pandora with this nice little dropdown menu extension)
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

After I typed this up and I went into Fire Fox Add-ons to check up on updates. Since i'm testing their beta's right now, the consistency of my Add-On's working is out of wack which sucks, but such is the life of testing Beta's. I'm pretty stoked right now to see that "most" of my Add-On's are upto date. a few big ones just updated yesterday and today for me

Kipper, I don't do whatt you do, but some of this stuff is interesting.

The right to click is something I'll do soon and the shareaholic, I don't do now but may in the future.

Lightshot sounds functional for me.

I use Pandora on my Droid.

Add blockers and popup blockers are generally good. Mine are fine. You can get frustrated if you have to let the adds, popups come through, temporarily, to see something important to you............usually entertainment stuff.

A few of those plugs I have use for tbh. I don't know why I never hook it up. Fireftp is essential. I have used stand alone's before but what's the point? Fireftp does all the same stuff. I would like to set up the rss feeds. It's about time. I don't even have my bookmarks organized very well tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    A few of those plugs I have use for tbh. I don't know why I never hook it up. Fireftp is essential. I have used stand alone's before but what's the point? Fireftp does all the same stuff. I would like to set up the rss feeds. It's about time. I don't even have my bookmarks organized very well tbh.
    Bookmarks and Feeds I have to have seperate. Booksmarks to me are nothing but seldomly referenced sites that i store so i dont forget and feel i will need later. Feeds are everything I read on a daily basis.

Look into Feedly, Beezy. What's nice is that it's across both Chrome and Firefox platforms and requires just a Google account sign in. for instance, i have the add on in firefox and chrome but because it's controlled by a 3rd party remotely, i can log in to the same account anywhere, just as long as I have the addon installed... There's an App for iPhone also but it's in beta and kind of pricey ($4 or $5 bucks). not sure im ready to pay that for an app in beta

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Kipper, I don't do whatt you do, but some of this stuff is interesting.

The right to click is something I'll do soon and the shareaholic, I don't do now but may in the future.

Lightshot sounds functional for me.

I use Pandora on my Droid.

Add blockers and popup blockers are generally good. Mine are fine. You can get frustrated if you have to let the adds, popups come through, temporarily, to see something important to you............usually entertainment stuff.
    I rarely have to allow anything to come through to view it. Once in a while yeah but it's so seldom it's really worth the function to block 99% of the crap.

Yeah any of that stuff that i didnt mention using for web dev like firebug or if you don't have your own site/server space like fireftp are pretty nice handy add ons for anyone. I just like to have things to make browsing the web and such easy

PC **** the bed

Won't start up. 9/10 it's the power supply but it's not that in this case. Might have to find a mobo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information