Low 5°F

Precip: 50%
    AM Snow Showers

Wind Impact: MEDIUM
    NNW at 11.0 mph

I'm thinking....FUMBLES

Threads : 691

Default Re: Colder than a witches tit....game time weather

I'm thinking I'll be glad to be watching at my nice warm home.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cold as hell weather and a sissy California boy Quarter Backing the Jets Put some pressure on him and watch the mistakes pile up
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 60

Dang Kip, I thought you were starting a thread full of Nerp pitcures.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

If it was being played in Filthydelphia, Goodell and his goon squad would cancel it in the interest of "fan safety". LOL

Threads : 16

I went to the Carolina game this year and froze my *** off and it wasnt even half that cold. I too will enjoy watching the game in high def on my couch. I guess Im getting older, I used to love going to cold weather games.

Threads : 407

Bundle up: Chilly weather for championship games

Temperatures in the teens, wind chills near zero, maybe even a snow shower. Now that’s a real Winter Classic.

Frosty forecasts were in play Sunday for the AFC and NFC championship games, with players and fans ready to bundle up in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Could be around 13 degrees at kickoff when the New York Jets take on the Steelers at Heinz Field. Might drop to about 8 under partly skies by the time they finish well after dark.

“It’s shaping up as one of the coldest games here that I can remember,” meteorologist Brad Rehak of the National Weather Service in Pittsburgh said Friday. “Going back to the 1970s with the Raiders-Steelers games.”

Rehak would know - he’s a longtime Steelers season ticket-holder who plans to be in the stands.

Wind chills, he said, would be about zero all game.

Quite a bit colder than when the NHL held its annual Winter Classic game at Heinz Field on Jan. 1. It was 50 degrees and rainy during Washington’s win over the Penguins.

The conditions figure to be a bit warmer in Chicago when the Green Bay Packers play the Bears at Soldier Field. Maybe in the upper teens for the afternoon kickoff with wind chills in the upper single digits, and possibly some brief, passing flurries.

“It won’t be something like the legendary Ice Bowl,” said meteorologist Richard Castro of the National Weather Service in suburban Chicago.

“Besides, the Packers and Bears are used to this. I always figure football players are accustomed to inclement weather,” he said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txplayoffsweather

Beware forbidding fields in AFC, NFC title games

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr. AP Sports Writer

Cold, wind and frozen turf. They make Pittsburgh’s Heinz Field and Chicago’s Soldier Field such forbidding places.

Just ask the guys who play there.

“Some people say it’s a sorry field,” Bears cornerback Charles Tillman said, adding that others prefer to describe his home turf with an expletive. “They say what they want, but at the end of the day, you’ve got to play. That’s what we do. We accept it. We just play.”

Both natural grass fields will be front and center Sunday when the New York Jets play the Steelers in the AFC championship game, and the Green Bay Packers take on the Bears in the NFC championship game, with Super Bowl spots on the line. And it could all come down to how the kickers deal with the less-than-ideal conditions.

“I think that’s what’s going to happen,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said of his team’s big game. “I think that this is going to be one of those games. I don’t see a team blowing the other team out. I think this is going to be hard-fought all the way to the end and will probably be a three-point game.”

That’s why Nick Folk is bringing several pairs of cleats with him to Pittsburgh and taking extra kicks before the game. Sunday’s weather forecast calls for morning snow showers and bone-chilling temperatures of about 13 degrees at kickoff.

“Everything about kicking at Heinz Field makes it tough,” Folk said. “The fans, the weather can turn nasty at any time, the field can be pretty bad, too.”

Pittsburgh has been an unpredictable and frustrating place for kickers since Heinz Field opened in 2001, and not just because of those Terrible Towels. But there might be some good news for Folk and the SteelersShaun Suisham, according to meteorologist Brad Rehak of the National Weather Service in Pittsburgh.

“It may not be as tricky for field goals at Heinz Field as it normally is,” said Rehak, a Steelers season-ticket holder. “It might not be as tough as usual for the kickers.”

Rehak said the winds usually come down the Ohio River and into the stadium, but the current weather pattern doesn’t indicate that flow.

“When you’re playing football this late in the year, outdoors, it is what you’d think it would be,” said Suisham, who replaced Jeff Reed midway through the season. “I think that’s part of what’s fun of being part of this organization. I love playing on this kind of field. It’s part of playing football this time of year and in this part of the country.”

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward wasn’t so kind after Pittsburgh beat Miami 3-0 in a Monday night game in 2007, calling the conditions at Heinz Field “horrendous.” That was because the grounds crew needed to roll out new sod over the field after several University of Pittsburgh and high school football games tore up the turf. A day of rain didn’t help, either, as water pooled.

The same crew had to re-sod the turf after the NHL held its Winter Classic between the Penguins and Washington Capitals there, and from all accounts, it held up nicely in Pittsburgh’s playoff victory over Baltimore last Saturday.

“It’s never spectacular because they have so much traffic on it,” Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff said. “They put a lot of mileage on that field, but we expect it to be fine.”

The Jets also have some playoff demons to exorcise there. Until Week 15, New York was 0-7 in Pittsburgh, including a disappointing overtime defeat in the 2004 postseason, when Doug Brien missed two field goals in the closing minutes of regulation. Westhoff said Brien hit the first kick - a 47-yarder - “pretty good,” but ended up clanking it off the crossbar. Brien smashed the second one, a 43-yarder as regulation expired, but he hooked it.

“Neither one was the easiest kick to make in the first place,” Westhoff said. “The field was very poor at that time. It was as tough as it gets.”

Soldier Field, sitting next to Lake Michigan, has a similar reputation.

After being re-sodded before the regular-season finale in 2006, the Bears slipped and slid to a 39-14 victory in the NFC championship over New Orleans, which fumbled four times and lost three.

Earlier this week, Green Bay wide receiver Greg Jennings was critical of Soldier Field after watching Seattle players slip in the snow in the Seahawks’ playoff loss last weekend.

“It’s rough,” he said. “It’s probably one of the worst - probably the worst - in the league.”

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and linebacker Brian Urlacher(notes) have made similar comments.

According to the National Weather Service, the temperature is expected to be in the upper teens at kickoff in Chicago, with wind chills in the upper-single digits.

“You know it’s going to be cold,” Bears kicker Robbie Gould(notes) said. “You know it’s going to be windy. You know the conditions on the field aren’t going to potentially be great.”

Gould joined the Bears in 2005 - coincidentally replacing an injured Brien, who was cut by the Jets a few months after his bad day in Pittsburgh - and tries not to even think about the conditions when he lines up.

“I’ve done this a million times,” he said. “I’m going to continue doing it, so I’m confident to go there and do my job on Sunday. I’ve got a lot of great guys around me that aid in that process.”

Mason Crosby has been kicking in Green Bay for four years, so cold and windy conditions are the norm for him. Plus, he has been to Soldier Field once a season since coming into the league, so he tries to maintain his usual routine - no matter how bad the field may be.

“It’s like any other game, go out and hit some balls, see if the wind’s blowing in any way,” he said. “Then, trust it once game time comes and know you’re going to hit the ball and it’s going to go where you need it to.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...rbiddingfields

Threads : 1817

It's colder than a witches tit right now and I'm not even outside. One of those times when I really wish I had a fireplace cause I can't seem to get warm despite the thermostat and such all reading 70 I can only imagine what it's like outside and quite frankly I won't be finding out. I'm hibernating all weekend. The closest i get to feeling the outside air is taking the 2 seconds to open and close the door for the dog to go outside. Nice thing about him being 10 years old is that he usually only goes out once a day
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 215

Witch's tit, in a brass bra, on the shady side of an iceberg!

Sunny and sub-arctic temperatures today.

Yeah, fumbles, bad kicks/punts and dropped balls.......................even some slipping out of the QB's hands.

Threads : 440

Chilling out in black and gold:
    Steelers, Jets could face coldest playoff game ever in Pittsburgh

Saturday, January 22, 2011
    By Dan Majors, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Fans cheer during the Steelers Rally held Friday at the Allegheny County Courthouse.

The AFC championship game on Sunday might be a great matchup between two of the NFL's best teams, but there isn't a lot of bad blood between the Steelers and the New York Jets. You wouldn't call it a heated rivalry.

Especially this weekend.

The National Weather Service is predicting single-digit temperatures Sunday evening, making it possible that the players -- and the freezing fans huddled in Heinz Field -- might be experiencing the coldest Steelers home playoff game on record.

It's expected to be colder in Pittsburgh than it will be in Chicago for the Bears' afternoon game against the Green Bay Packers.

"It's shaping up as one of the coldest games here that I can remember," meteorologist Brad Rehak of the National Weather Service in Pittsburgh said Friday. "Going back to the 1970s with the Raiders-Steelers games."

The coldest playoff game in Pittsburgh was the AFC championship game of Jan. 23, 2005, when the temperature dropped to 9 degrees and the New England Patriots soared to the Super Bowl. But the famous "Pittsburgh Ice Bowl" against the Oakland Raiders, on Jan. 4, 1976, was played in worse conditions, even though the temperature was a crisp 18.

The story goes that the tarp over the Three Rivers Stadium turf the night before the game leaked and the rain that fell overnight became trapped and turned to ice. Players slid all over the field, and the score was 3-0 Steelers in the third quarter before a flurry of scoring late in the game gave the Steelers a 16-10 win.

"Every time I'd take off, I'd slip," Raiders receiver Cliff Branch said at the time. "The coverage wasn't a problem. It was the field."

"The ball felt like a rock," said Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano.

"The elements were the big factor," Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw said. "It was slippery, and we were frozen. I was losing the feeling in my fingers."

Keith Brewster, 50, a meteorologist and researcher at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Okla., lists the "Pittsburgh Ice Bowl" among the games cited at his NFL Weather Hall of Fame website. Other standouts include the original "Ice Bowl" between the Packers and the Dallas Cowboys, the "Snowplow Game" in which the Patriots used a plow to clear a spot for a game-winning field goal, and "Leon Lett's Skating Rink" game in Dallas.

Other games mentioned exposed the gridiron to elements such as fog, rain and even a tornado watch.

"I was born and raised in Wisconsin, so I grew up a Packers fan," said Mr. Brewster, who started noting weather conditions at games when he was young. Eventually, he said, he made up his list and shared it with friends. He set up the website about 10 years ago.

"It's my ranking, but I don't consider it authoritative," he said.

The site features brief summaries of the games. His commentaries include the occasional jab at games played in domed stadiums.

Some of the games he didn't see, but he has heard the stories about them.

"Historically, football is an all-weather game, and both teams have to deal with that," he said. "It adds to the color of the game. Does it subtract from the athleticism? I'm not sure. If a team is going to go all the way, I think they should play well even when the weather isn't perfect."

The NFL schedules most of its Super Bowls in warm-weather cities, so the event becomes more of an outdoor celebration. But teams play all season long for the right to host playoff games on their home fields.

The Steelers have a reputation of thriving in cold weather. The team has played 27 playoff games in Pittsburgh since the NFL merger in the late 1960s, boasting a 19-8 record in those games. The average game-time temperature is 32.5 degrees.

But in conference championship games in Pittsburgh, the team's record is just 5-5. Three of the losses came when the temperature was above 36 degrees. So maybe weather will work to the home team's advantage.

The cold might be more of a problem for the fans in the stands than for the players, who will have access to heaters on the sidelines.

"And with the modern clothing, I think they'll be all right," Mr. Brewster said. "And you always have a couple of guys who are old-school, who show that they're tough by coming out in short sleeves."

Perhaps with all this chattering about the cold, the Steelers would do well to remember the words of Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Lambert after the local Ice Bowl in 1976.

"I've never minded playing in the cold," he said. "Actually, I think it's all in your mind. You condition yourself to block out the weather factor and just concentrate on what you're doing out there."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11022...#ixzz1Bmw0vnJj

Threads : 1632

Last update for the season because........we won't have to worry about the weather for the Super Bowl........ ****in NFL.

Game Day Forecast

Temperature: 15°F

Feels like: 5°F

Sunset: 5:27 PM

Probability of precip: 0%

Wind Impact: LIGHT
    NNW at 7.0 mph

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last update for the season because........we won't have to worry about the weather for the Super Bowl........ ****in NFL.

Game Day Forecast

Temperature: 15°F

Feels like: 5°F

Sunset: 5:27 PM

Probability of precip: 0%

Wind Impact: LIGHT
    NNW at 7.0 mph

You may get to see some interesting weather in the Super Bowl in a few years!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information