Thread: Top five Pittsburgh Steelers of all time

Threads : 138

Default Top five Pittsburgh Steelers of all time

"With their victory over arch-rival Baltimore last week the Pittsburgh Steelers are just a single win away from yet another Super Bowl appearance, and Steelers fans have even more ammo in the argument that their beloved football team might just be the greatest NFL franchise of all time.

Pittsburgh has certainly seen more than their fair share of legendary players grace their roster over the years, and it was certainly a monumental challenge to whittle it down to just five. Here are my picks for the best Pittsburgh Steelers of all time:

1. Mean Joe Greene
    2. Terry Bradshaw
    3. Jack Lambert
    4. Franco Harris
    5. Jerome Bettis"
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-7650710

This is of course subjective and even the criteria is subjective... But if you had to come up with a list yourself, who would you pick?

Default Re: Top five Pittsburgh Steelers of all time

Here's mine:

1. Rod Woodson
    2. Hines Ward
    3. Troy Polamalu
    4. Terry Bradshaw
    5. Ben Rothliesberger

Threads : 13

Is that a list of top 5 Steelers of all time? Or your favorite 5? Seems more like your favorite five, right? Cause, I mean, come on. *

* fixed
    Last edited by jeffkingsmustache; Jan-23-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkingsmustache View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that a list of top 5 Steelers of all time? Or your favorite 5? Seems more like your favorite five, right? Cause, I mean, come on.
    Top 5 all-time. Which ones don't you agree with?

Well, like you said. It's an opinion thing. So whatever you want...I guess. But a top 5 all time Steelers list without Joe Greene on it (as number 1) is just silly. I mean Joe Greene is the reason this is all happening. Joe Grenne was the player that turned this organization around. He is the Catalyst. Its like having a top 5 Penguins of all time list w/o Mario as #1. It's just sillyness.

Not only is Green the greatest Steeler of all time, he's one of the 10-20 all time greatest players in the history of the league. So, for you not to have him as #1 (or 2 at LEAST) is, quite frankly, absurd. The fact that he's not even in your top five speaks more to your youth and ignorance. Thats my opinion.

Like I said, you stated ALL TIME Steelers, your list seems like your personal all time FAVORITE Steelers, which is nice, but not what you posed.*

fixed
    Last edited by jeffkingsmustache; Jan-23-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Threads : 413

I’ve seen both eras. Here’s my top 5 (per this thread) and let me preface this by saying it’s simply not possible to list only 5. In no particular order:

Joe Green
    Troy Polamalu
    Hines Ward
    Jack Lambert
    Mel Blount

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Well, like you said. It's an opinion thing. So whatever you want...I guess. But a top 5 all time Steelers list without Joe Greene on it (as number 1) is just silly. I mean Joe Greene is the reason this is all happening. Joe Grenne was the player that turned this organization around. He is the Catalyst. Its like having a top 5 Penguins of all time list w/o Mario as #1. It's just sillyness.

Not only is Green the greatest Steeler of all time, he's one of the 10-20 all time greatest players in the history of the league. So, for you not to have him as #1 (or 2 at LEAST) is, quite frankly, absurd. The fact that he's not even in your top five speaks more to your youth and ignorance. Thats my opinion.

Like I said, you stated ALL TIME Steelers, your list seems like your personal all time FAVORITE Steelers, which is nice, but not what you posed.
    I wouldn't argue with anyone who placed Greene on their list. I strongly disagree that Greene was to the Steelers what Mario was to Penguins. For you to whine and b*tch about my list and not make one of your own is just silly. Put up or shut up. For you to spend all that time on a "silly" self-aggrandizing tirade and not post a list yourself is "quite frankly absurd."

You are a pompous a$$. That's my opinion.
    Last edited by tocchet92; Jan-22-2011 at 08:39 PM.

The fact that he's not even in your top five speaks more to your youth and ignorance.
    I listened to the immaculate reception live on a transistor radio...

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    I wouldn't argue with anyone who placed Greene on their list. I strongly disagree that Greene was to the Steelers what Mario was to Penguins. For you to whine and b*tch about my list and not make one of your own is just silly. Put up or shut up. For you to spend all that time on a "silly" self-aggrandizing tirade and not post a list yourself is "quite frankly absurd."

You are a pompous a$$. That's my opinion.
    Wow. Feelings hurt on message boards much?

You posed " top 5 greatest Steelers". Then gave a top 5 w/o Joe Greene. Thats dumb. Don't make ****ty top 5 lists then expect me not to bash you for your ****ty list. Here's my top 5 tough guy.

1. Carnell Lake
    2. Rod Woodson
    3. Greg Lloyd
    4. Plaxico Buress
    5. Bam Morris

Oh wait. Thats my favorite players list. Like yours.

ok here..

1. Gray.
    2. Dark Gray
    3. Black
    4. Neon green
    5. Fuschia

****. Those are my favorite colors

1. Ming
    2. Xia
    3. Xin
    4. Tang
    5. Han

Dag. Those are my favorite Chinese Dynasties

Here we go

1. Joe Greene
    2. Terry Bradshaw
    3. Jack Ham
    4. Troy Polamalu
    5. Jack Lambert
    Last edited by jeffkingsmustache; Jan-23-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Come on guys... (both of you)

Rule Nine : Threats Or Personal Attacks Towards Another Patron in the Pittsburgh Sports Tavern or Via PM's (private messages) will result in a First Offense Warning.

Every Patron won't get along with each other or share each others views, however that doesn't mean that the entire Tavern must be brought down because of this. Please be mindful and respectful of all of the other patrons at PST regarding your actions and reactions.

If you are are just joking around with another Patron, please include an emoticon/smiley at the end of your posting. This is the most effective way in a non-verbal environment to help convey emotions for others to see.
    ----

You're killing a pretty good topic/thread
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Here we go

1. Joe Greene
    2. Terry Bradshaw
    3. Jack Ham
    4. Troy Polamalu
    5. Jack Lambert
    Wow. After all that huffin' and puffin', your list is pretty disappointing. You berated me for posting a list of "favorite players," yet two of the five players on my list are on your list. Are you retarded?

Your claim that "Joe Greene is the reason this is all happening" is just off-the-wall absurd. Furthermore, I watched the Steelers (on TV) during the Greene era. Impact wise, there was not much separating him from the other great, Steeler hall of fame players from that era. Greene was about as visible during most games as Casey Hampton. Of course he was stout in the middle, was constantly double-teamed, and often forced teams to run away from him. However, when I watched the games, more often than not it was LC Greenwood making the plays and Dwight White bringing the heat. In super bowl 9 it was LC Greenwood who tormented Fran Tarkenton on every passing play. It was Dwight White who nailed him for a safety. Greene got deservedly got the hype, but as far as impact on the game I don't see a big differential between Greene, Greenwood, Ham, Lambert, or Blount. I followed the team in that era and my opinions weren't formed from John Facenda sound bytes. Lemieux he was not.

Terry Bradshaw second? Bradshaw had a career 71 QB rating and threw almost as many picks (210) as TDs (212). I agree he belongs on the list (for now) because he won four superbowls. If/when Ben wins four super bowls there will no longer be any question as to the Steelers greatest QB of all time is. To pick Bradshaw second and not even include Rothliesberger is illogical. Ben has 2 SB titles and his stats dwarf Bradshaw's.

How can you possibly leave Hines Ward off of the list? He is the Steelers all time leading receiver with 2+ super bowl wins. He is a hard nosed blue collar wide receiver known for his toughness as much as his receiving ability. He is the epitomy of Steelers football. He's got the character, toughness, stats and game impact (in his prime) that should make him an automatic selection on any top 5 list.

We agree on Polamalu. Woodson, was better than Blount IMO, and had a greater visibility impact on the games he played in than Ham or Lambert although I certainly wouldn't complain about any of those guys.

Being from a past era doesn't make players better than more recent ones. Try going beyond John Facenda sound bytes in forming your opinions.
    Last edited by tocchet92; Jan-23-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Threads : 60

Mean Joe
    Mad Jack Lambert
    Franco Harris Italian Army
    Mel Blount
    Terry Bradsahw the blond bomber

or

Mike Webster Iron Arms
    Rocky Blier Flying Squirrel
    Jack Ham
    Lynn Swann