Thread: Major Website/Forum Upgrade and Update in February

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Major Website/Forum Upgrade and Update in February

I would like to take the time out to announce that I am currently planning to update the Message Board software which is basically what the entire website runs on, sometime in February. I'm waiting until then since Football will be done, Baseball is still in the Offseason and Hockey is tied up in uneventful All-Star stuff. There is a possibility that this could be delayed until the start of March and here is an explanation for that and everything else.

Currently we are using the 4.0.3 Software for the Forum and version 4.1.1 is out. WQhich means there have been upgrades of 4.0.4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - 4.1.0,1 which I have not applied. The Reason for this is that in version 4.0.4 they did a complete overhaul of how styles are applied which means everything you see for a looks perspective would get altered since they changed the code and I have to revert back to "default" for a lot of it. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to get all of the looks of the site back to where it is now and I didn't want to do that while we were in important parts of any sport season.

Now, any upgrade doesn't render the forum "useless". all of the Data (posts, threads, numbers, membership etc....) all remain and you can continue to post and interact, you just might not have some of the bells and whistles initially since I'll have to re-code those tings and fix and upgrade them.

My intent is to completely wait until version 4.1.3 comes out. I believe 4.1.2 comes out in a week. The reason for this is that they are going to completely overhaul the entire "Text Editor". The "text Editor" is this very box that you input text to send a post/thread. They are considering it a big upgrade so I figured it would make more sense to wait until then. Therefor, I could be forced to wait until the start of March if they are very slow in releasing 4.1.3. So far, they've been very quick releasing updates.

Usually I can update on a per version basis but due to how much work was involved in upgrading from the current 4.0.3 we are using here to 4.0.4 I chose not to. i expect to update regularly per version update after I do this next big overhaul.

Some of the Additions to the Forum will be :

• Brand new Text Editor which can be seen in the video below and even further by clicking on the link below that..

http://ckeditor.com/demo

• Connect Through Facebook. You'll be able to use your Facebook login and password to connect to the forum. I had that ability with this version by Facebook changed some stuff rendering the version here unusable. It's a ncie feature that is used in various Blogs and site. you will still need a Registered membership here to use this ability which you can enable through your Profile Settings

• Free Mobile Skins. This was just released for vBulletin software 4.1.2 and basically it is a mobile skin/template that will detect a cellphone and convert the website into a scaled down cell phone readable and postabe version.

• Customize Your Profile. You'll be able to control the color scheme of your Profile and the text color and style

Those are just a few things you guys and girls would see on your end along with (and this is perhaps a low and rough estimate) 1,000 bug fixes. There were over 100 bug fixes from this version we are using now to 4.0.4. there were a lot a lot of major changes that are more on my end that are both helpful and needed that would mean nothing to everyone else but to me are really nice and things that needed improved upon years ago (brand new software upgraded, flexible URL mapping for Google and other search engines to make reads of easier, brand new stylesheet setup which is the main cause of the big switch from this version to 4.0.4 and other things...)

Once we get a little closer to this happening I will inform everyone by a new Thread here, a Mass Pm and a Mass E-mail. This upgrade is going to give a far better handling of everything and make this Forum and website a heck of a lot better. I'm excited about the changes... just not excited about the work that I will be putting in to get everything back to normal here.
    Last edited by Kipper; Oct-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Major Website/Forum Upgrade and Update in February

Just an Update on this.

vBulletin has released version 4.1.2 which includes a Mobile skin/style that is Free. From what I have seen using it, it's not quite as nice as the $2.99 Tapatalk App, but it's a nice alternative for those not willing to throw down $2.99. It should also improve over time as most things do.

I pointed out above about the new "Text Editor" and this has not been included yet in a release. As I explained, adding this feature could cause a lot of additional Template and style changes that I'm going to have to make with or without it. I'm trying to find out if the changes I'd have to make are significant or not. if they aren't, I will upgrade and wait. If they are, I'm going to wait until this feature is implemented into a future release.

As for a Time table, I am planning on getting to work on this fairly soon and it could last weeks to a month. The bulk being done right away and the rest being alterations here and there. Again, everything will be functional, you'll still be able to post and read, just some of the functions won't be available right away as i have to put them all back up. Personal life stuff, I have carpet getting installed in my Livingroom and Diningroom at the end of this month ad I have to spend time painting, pretending like I'm moving by boxing up stuff to move out of the way, so I'm going to be tied up at some point after February 16th doing that.

I'll leave this off with 2 Additional Features I will be adding to the Forum.

• Wibiya Tool Bar - This is basically a nice tool bar that is attached to the site on the bottom that you can minimize if you don't want to see it that provides a lot of networking features. Features that are more related to the Pittsburgh sports Forum but features that usually involve me doing some "Hard Coding". This Tool Bar will eliminate a lot of extra work for me. This toolbar is seen on a variety of websites and Blogs and I'm sure everyone has seen it. Here's the website for you to check it out --- www.wibiya.com
    • Main/Front Page Interface Changes - some people check out the Front/Main Page, some don't. It's a Page that I've already re-designed 3 different times and I have acting, looking and functioning like a "Blog". I was going to make some Interface Changes last year but decided against it. I figured that if I'm already going to be doing all of this stuff with this big upgrade, to make those changes to the Main Page. It won't be anything major. Just resizing of columns, rearranging of things and some minor aesthetics.
    Last edited by Kipper; Oct-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information