Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticket Rape

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ticket Rape

So I love the fact that Bucs tickets are cheaper than most in the league.

But this new ticket idea of raising the prices on game day is ridiculous.

So.....you wanna order them in advance? That is Fine, pay the fees associated with Ticketmaster.

You want em on game day from a walk up...pay more.

So, I'm guessing the only way to avoid the fees is to go to the 'burgh ticket office at PNC Park a day in advance...hey no problem, I live 50 miles south, that is just a lil trip there and back wasting gas.

Bend me over and give it to me any way you want.

Threads : 22

Default Re: Ticket Rape

After I read the article talking about ticket prices - I had mixed emotions myself.

On one hand, yes, they are making it more expensive for game-day tickets, which does sound kind of lame. You want the walkup the day of the game and hope you can get people TO buy.

But, that said, you have to figure general operating expenses have gone up over the past 9 years, and they haven't raised ticket prices once over that time. And, like you said, they are probably the cheapest ticket out there for a "professional" sports team.

Did anyone see their reasoning for raising game-day ticket prices only?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SteelKeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I love the fact that Bucs tickets are cheaper than most in the league.

But this new ticket idea of raising the prices on game day is ridiculous.

So.....you wanna order them in advance? That is Fine, pay the fees associated with Ticketmaster.

You want em on game day from a walk up...pay more.

So, I'm guessing the only way to avoid the fees is to go to the 'burgh ticket office at PNC Park a day in advance...hey no problem, I live 50 miles south, that is just a lil trip there and back wasting gas.

Can't you order them online a day in advance and just pick them up at the office? Just asking. I rarely ever goto a game in a random moment, it's usually planned out in advance enough to order tickets in advance
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

This is a tough subject. When I read this I was thinking about in general how nice it is to have a sport in town that is actually affordable to goto. Pirates games no matter how good they become will never become unobtainable like Steelers and Pens tickets just due to the region size and amount of games but I started thinking about what some other cities teams pay for their tickets.

That said, for me, I won't see an increase in ticket costs this year when I go so I'm not concerned about it and neither will be most people that go, but for a team coming off of 57 wins, this was a ballsy move by the Front Office that will likely get a lot of people complaining. I can see a ton of people that don't even live in the area or goto games, *****ing to *****.

anyway you slice it the Pirates still have one of the cheapest tickets in MLB

Threads : 8

I always use Stubhub with electronic delivery. Last year I got 2 tickets behind the Bucs dugout for a Saturday night game for $40 total, including fees and delivery charge.

Threads : 27

It's rare that I hear that anymore.

Threads : 35

I stopped complaining about nickel and dime stuff like this last year when I decided it was time to attend my first, and, at these prices last, game at Fenway Park. Knowing in advance that there are no tickets available from the Redsox - they have been sold out for over a decade - I went to StubHub. I figured I would sit as close to where Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones sat in Field of Dreams as I could. I got two tickets in the exact spot that I wanted - for $235.00, including StubHub fees.

Now I go to PNC Park with a smile on my face. The baseball may be minor league quality, but I know that I can at least afford some popcorn.

Threads : 413

If you want to get raped on ticket prices, go to Stubhub and check out some of the SB tickets that are being offered. It makes the price for Bucco ticket seem paltry.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

I'm not *****ing about the overall price of the ticket...its the **** fees that they are getting you with now on all levels. You order em online, pay a fee, you wanna walk up, pay in a sense, a fee...since they jacked the game day price up. In the past i never pre ordered tickets, there isn't a need....I drive the game, get a ticket...now I get punished for doing so.

A family of 4 now can have to pay an additional $20 bucks to get thru the gate....me personally, that turns me away from the gate.....considering the amount that needs shelled out inside to enjoy everything.

I'm not a cheapskate....I have given that organization plenty of my money, for ****, for years...but this is a bit much at the moment....maybe it's because I have a family now, as compared to years past and now have to rub pennies together some times to get by...I dunno, just don't think this was a good idea, right now, for them...and the flying under the radar announcement of it is bull****.

A family of 4 now can have to pay an additional $20 bucks to get thru the gate....me personally, that turns me away from the gate.....considering the amount that needs shelled out inside to enjoy everything.

I'm not a cheapskate....I have given that organization plenty of my money, for ****, for years...but this is a bit much at the moment....maybe it's because I have a family now, as compared to years past and now have to rub pennies together some times to get by...I dunno, just don't think this was a good idea, right now, for them...and the flying under the radar announcement of it is bull****.
    The timing of it is what is bizarre to me. This is bad decision making ultimately on Frank Coonelly who is the one most likely consulted about this and giving the final word. I know they would like to bring in a little more revenue and I know that they want to get more season ticket holders even if it's the 20-25 gamers or whatever deal they do now. They want to reward those people and entice people to buy tickets that way but those tickets have always been discounted for buying in a package..

It seems like they really want you to order in advance or reward you for it but I'm not sure what the benefit is.

the timing is what just a bad decision. After 57 wins, even if the rebuild on the back end is doing well and we just got a core to the MLB level last year, you don't announce any increase to tickets right now unless you enjoy getting the backlash and criticisms. Maybe Frank has an uncanny ability to block out the noise

Like I said, this doesn't affect me at all and if I ever had the spur of the moment will and desire to got a game that day, I'm fine wit the fees. I really have little overall to complain about with the price of the Pirates tickets and considering how much I enjoy going to the games, Pirates tickets are a bargain, even with a price increase

I'm not *****ing about the overall price of the ticket...its the **** fees that they are getting you with now on all levels. You order em online, pay a fee, you wanna walk up, pay in a sense, a fee...since they jacked the game day price up. In the past i never pre ordered tickets, there isn't a need....I drive the game, get a ticket...now I get punished for doing so.
    It does come off as punishing people that decide to goto the games last minute. I look at it from the other half of the glass as rewarding those that order in advance. They can't really lower ticket prices anymore than they are to reward people for pre-ordering, so to me, this is sort of the same even if it's an increase to the drive up.

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's the direction things are heading.

The Giants like to call it dynamic pricing.
    Tickets will go up depending on the day of the week, opponent, and pitching match up.

I didn't go to a single game this past year even though I live 15 miles from San Francisco because of it. I'm also more of a procrastinator so every time I checked to go to a gamae upper deck seats were sometimes as high as 60-dollars.

I went to a lot of A's games instead. For 60-you can get right behind home plate at that dump.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Morning links: Pirates' price hike
    Last Updated on Tuesday, 25 January 2011 10:31 Tuesday, 25 January 2011 00:40
    Written by Dejan Kovacevic

Here is perhaps the ugliest sentence anyone can read in the world of sports: The Pirates are raising ticket prices.

Man, there is just no way for the team to make that sound good.

And if you're the Pirates, couldn't you just have made this announcement at, oh, about 6:30 p.m. Sunday night?

That said, let me offer a few thoughts on this ...

First off, for those who do not know, and Colin Dunlap has more on this in the regular coverage below, the Pirates have kept prices for season tickets and all advance single-game purchases the same for a ninth consecutive year. There is not another streak like that in the world of professional sports. (Kind of like another streak the Pirates have going, but that is another discussion.)

The increase is on day-of-game sales, which means buying a ticket that day.

Now, to some, that might sound counterproductive because it might act as a disincentive for people to go to the ballpark on a whim. I could counter that very, very few people do that, anyway, as the usual walkup at PNC Park is about 2,000 or so, and it's only more than 5,000 on rare occasions such as, say, a totally unannounced promotion of Pedro Alvarez to the big leagues. (Also another discussion.)

Moreover, a lot of their day-of-game sales, from what I've known, go to people coming in from out of town to see the opposing team, or from other people just passing through town. Thus, charging more would be kind of the equivalent of a rental-car tax for those customers.

Lastly, more than a third of all Major League Baseball teams use this pricing.

The big question is this: Do the Pirates need to raise prices at all?

The answer to that, of course, begs the multibillion-dollar question as it relates to the franchise, and that is whether or not Bob Nutting and the ownership group are doing all they can with the money at hand. To date, the evidence -- and by that, I mean hard evidence -- is that more could be done, but the money that has been considered profit is largely accounted for. Sure, it could have been better spent than paying off minority owners' taxes, especially given the franchise's absymal showing on the field, but the next evidence to emerge that Nutting is flat-out pocketing the cash will be the first. (He might well be building up equity for the sake of a fantastic sale price down the road, but that, too, has only contradictory evidence rather than supportive, to this point. Remember, he turned down $300 million or so from the Penguins' owners without even a negotiation.)

So, do they need to raise prices?

The Pirates' internal thinking long has been that this had to happen at some point, and that it had to happen at a point when they would feel like they are getting closer to adding real pieces to their core. It's been painfully obvious this offseason that they did no such thing, but it's also just as obvious that, however much payroll goes up, it won't be much.

Does that mean they legitimately cannot afford more payroll without revenue?

The evidence that I had -- by no means conclusive -- was that this was the case. That was supported by pretty much every accountant who looked over those financial documents that leaked out last year. The general thinking was that the greatest failing of the Pirates' ownership is not that they are profiting too much but that they actually are under-capitalized and unable -- within the scope of the team's actual finances -- to add much to the equation.

Again, it looks ugly, but there is a lot to it.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...tes-price-hike

I love how Dejan is going from covering the Pirates full time but he still panders to his crowd with some useless paragraph about pocketing money. 1st Off, the minority owners taxes had to be paid off. That's just business. It's something that happens yearly and most franchises do it, but the Pirates didn't for 2 years or however many. the part about building up equity sort of runs completely contradictory to the rest of the story that is actually rooted in fact based on the story from a couple of accountants that ran through every number leaked last year and found the Pirates at this point really only able to carry about a $55 million pay roll maxed out based on what the team brings in which is how teams operate in general anyways.

The important part is that it needs to be done at some point by like WFL said a couple posts up, this is starting to become something other teams are doing (dynamic pricing of some sort).

i still don't agree with the timing and such but management probably feels that attendance has stagnated to a certain number where they feel confident in doing this without much of a hit. The extra revenue made from this won't amount to a lot which makes me still question the timing of doing this right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information