Thread: How the game will be won.......

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How the game will be won.......

it won't be how well Ben or Rodgers plays...but who makes the mistake...last weekend both championships were won with a defensive TD.....our last SB...against Warner..a good QB....Harrison's SB record pick 6..and a sack fumble to seal the game....both QB's would have to play lights out..like they did the last time they met...no INT's...and I don't see that happening with these 2 defenses. Both are good QB's..but the D's are even better IMO. Defense wins championships....

Threads : 60

Default Re: How the game will be won.......

It will be won with one team scoring the most points............geesh !

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

steelers win it in OT with some ben magic_ or in OT with a big D play

Threads : 1632

I hope Troy wins it for us with a critical timed pick 6 int.

Threads : 60

I see Ben picking them apart and troy being a big part of the game. I also see us doing well on special teams and possibly scoring on special teams.

Seems to me what ever we seem to struggle at during one game we turn it around the next. ( during the playoffs ) It also seems the opposing teams gets their mojo pushed back into their face by the Steelers come playoffs and Super Bowls.
    I see rodgers doing a lot of out of pocket scrambling with our linebackers/linemen knocking the ball out a couple of times.

Honestly, I don't have a good feeling about this game. I have a feeling some stupid or cheap win will the Packers end up getting.
    Last edited by fezziwig; Jan-25-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our D is still formidable and I'll go with a very large part of the D wins games concept. We're also a team that currently appears to be only a couple of components away from having an equally formidable O game.

Either way, it probably won't be pretty for all the corporate leeches out there but if you want to see a bit of an old style dust-up...

Having said that, with both teams appearing to relish a physical approach to play, the officiation might be an issue. Balancing the calls etc. There doesn't seem to be much bad blood between the sides (yet another round of sealion and squirrel) but they should all be fired up.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 1632

Mr Rogers needs to meet Mr Harrison, close and personal.

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it won't be how well Ben or Rodgers plays...but who makes the mistake...last weekend both championships were won with a defensive TD.....our last SB...against Warner..a good QB....Harrison's SB record pick 6..and a sack fumble to seal the game....both QB's would have to play lights out..like they did the last time they met...no INT's...and I don't see that happening with these 2 defenses. Both are good QB's..but the D's are even better IMO. Defense wins championships....
    In week 8 the jets put up 119 yds rushing and 256 yds passing against the packers. Their 1st drive of any substance 8 plays for 41 yds to the GB 33 ended in a fumble, they later had moved the ball 35 yds in 10 plays when sanchez gets pic'ed at the GB 43, in the 3rd they had a 7 play drve where they went 61 yds and missed a 37 yd field goal. And finally in the 4th they had a 11 play 48 yd drive that ended in a INT and a 7 play 46 yd that ended on downs. Point is the turnovers killed them. BTW the packers were held to 81 yds rushing and 170 yds passing. They (the packers) won the game 9 - 0.

If the jets could generate offense on these guys, we certainly can.....and probably more....and their not going to run us......so if we can get pressure on rodgers and force some mistakes....win the turnover battle, take of business on special teams.......VICTORY!!!
    Last edited by Hambert5958; Jan-25-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 1817

The thing is bleed...both of these QB's threw minimal INT's during the regular season. Both of these teams simply didn't turn over the ball. Both teams lost just 9 fumbles all season long. We had 9 INT's all season and the Packers just 13. I mean these teams offensively protect the ball well. there is a good chance we could see a low turnover game or an "even" in the turnover matchup.

Both defenses are very similar and that's why both teams and QB's racked up yardages and points in 2008. This could be very much the same. This could very well come down to being a game where one team makes the plays they need to when they have to. The team that converts 3rd and longs better, the team that puts up more 6's in the red zone, the team that doesn't break as often, since both teams defenses should bend quite a bit.

for the Steelers, we need to make sure we have an answer for Matthews, just like they need to make sure Harrison is guarded. Our advantage is that we have a running game and they don't
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 277

First off, the quality of the turf means we won't see the trips and falls which struck both teams on Sunday (Jets and Steelers).

I have no idea who is going to win--although I am hoping it's Pittsburgh--but in any game, against any team, I love having Ben as my QB.

Rodgers is not a slouch, however, and the GB defense is very much for real.

It might just come down to Ben having been "there" before and handling himself with greater aplomb and success.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Troy will make his mark in this SB and it will be in the final minutes of the game! Great games berth GREAT players that we will speak about for ages to come... You will see #43 will be our Saving grace in this game! I believe STEELERS I BELIEVE! GO STEELERS!

Threads : 3
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The thing is bleed...both of these QB's threw minimal INT's during the regular season. Both of these teams simply didn't turn over the ball. Both teams lost just 9 fumbles all season long. We had 9 INT's all season and the Packers just 13. I mean these teams offensively protect the ball well. there is a good chance we could see a low turnover game or an "even" in the turnover matchup.

Both defenses are very similar and that's why both teams and QB's racked up yardages and points in 2008. This could be very much the same. This could very well come down to being a game where one team makes the plays they need to when they have to. The team that converts 3rd and longs better, the team that puts up more 6's in the red zone, the team that doesn't break as often, since both teams defenses should bend quite a bit.

for the Steelers, we need to make sure we have an answer for Matthews, just like they need to make sure Harrison is guarded. Our advantage is that we have a running game and they don't
    I like your analysis, Kip.

I think this is a very even matchup. And, as said so often in this thread, the winner so often
    comes down to turnovers.

The one thing I'm not so sure on is the running game, but I don't think it's as important as
    you guys do. I think it's a passing league and I like the Pack there. However, as great a game as Mendy had improvising, I'm not sold that the BnG have a solid OL and running game, and the
    Pack are probably better than you think. Starks could do some damage, especially since the Steelers secondary is suspect and could be softened up by Rodgers by a couple of deep passes to set up the run and possibility of play action. I would respect this offense. I think they are very well balanced.

Finally, your Steelers always seem to be overmatched on Special Teams. Always an Achilles Heel for them.

Should be a great game......

Threads : 49

If the Steelers can get production out of the running game that could do wonders for the offense. But regardless, I think this game comes down to which QB plays a better game and which team gets more pressure/confusion on the other team's QB.

I think Ben could have a huge game considering the field conditions (the offense will be a lot faster, especially Wallace, Sanders, Brown, that what we've seen so far) and the fact that Ben had over 500 yards passing last year against the Packers.

Rodgers is a big concern, IMO. The Steeler CB's can play well but barely ever make plays on the ball. Maybe Troy gets a pick but I'd be really surprised if one of the CB's had one. I hope Clark has the game of his life back in coverage.

Rodgers struggled last week in the 2nd half against the Bears but this game will be played indoors just like the Falcons playoff game where Rodgers torched the Falcon defense.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by bradyshawda View Post
    I like your analysis, Kip.

I think this is a very even matchup. And, as said so often in this thread, the winner so often
    comes down to turnovers.

The one thing I'm not so sure on is the running game, but I don't think it's as important as
    you guys do. I think it's a passing league and I like the Pack there. However, as great a game as Mendy had improvising, I'm not sold that the BnG have a solid OL and running game, and the
    Pack are probably better than you think. Starks could do some damage, especially since the Steelers secondary is suspect and could be softened up by Rodgers by a couple of deep passes to set up the run and possibility of play action. I would respect this offense. I think they are very well balanced.

Finally, your Steelers always seem to be overmatched on Special Teams. Always an Achilles Heel for them.

Should be a great game......
    My main concern is that this is a copy-cat league and Rogers is the first good QB we've faced since Brady. IF the Packers coaching staff is smart they look at how the Saints and Patriots spread out the Steelers defense. the Cardinals did this in Superbowl XLIII but not until the 4th Quarter and teams since then have done this against us. not all have been successful and it's hit or miss but we need to guard against this.

What amazes me is that LeBeau designed his defense to stop spread type Offenses. To stop dinks and dunks. His defense was designed to combat the West Coast styles of the 80's, the quick spread offense yet, this is the type of Offense we've struggled with Defensively.

I'm not worried a bit about the Packs run game. They're a bottom half of the league rushing Offense that wasn't really consistently good in the Playoffs. They will probably have some decent runs and such off of the Pass much like the Saints and Patriots had against us, but I'm not really going to expect much more.

One thing is true and that is Green Bay is a tough team. This is going to be a tough as hell game. I've just recently started breaking down stats and compared to XL and XLIII this one is far tighter.

there's also the X-factor that you cannot predict which is Super Bowl nervousness. Maybe Rogers doesn't have it, but perhaps someone else important does? Being seasoned in the Superbowl doesn't always mean anything but that nervousness can really alter a game mentally
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 49

Like Kipper just mentioned, another interesting thing is the Steelers haven't faced a legitimately good offense since the Pats game. That will be almost 3 months ago when the SB is played. That's crazy. Hopefully it won't be a factor in this game, although it would've been nice if the Steelers had faced a legitimately dangerous offense in the playoffs and shut it down.

The good news is Ben will be facing a 3-4 defense, and generally Ben seems to play much better against a 3-4 than a 4-3. The fact that the offense practices against the Steelers defense each week could really help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information