Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Green Bay Packers And Aaron Rogers Haven't Earned Sh*t!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Green Bay Packers And Aaron Rogers Haven't Earned Sh*t!

I'm not one to complain about being an Underdog. I like the role, I like the chip on the shoulder mentality that it brings, I like how it gets played up far beyond the hype it deserves. Favorites and Underdogs don't concern me. What Las Vegas decides, doesn't concern me either.

What bothers me is the quick media anointment of one team over another. Yes I understand that the media will flip flop for 2 weeks. They will over-hype one team and then over-hype the other team. some of it however is just baffling, even Vegas' ruling on the game is baffling.

• If I didn't know better I would think that the Green Bay Packers were getting ready to compete in their 3rd Superbowl in 6 seasons. On top of that, preparing to win their 3rd and earn the media's title of "Dynasty".
    • If I didn't know any better, I'd have sworn that Aaron Rogers had 2 Superbowl rings, and was the youngest Quarterback to ever win in a Superbowl. Or the fastest Quarterback to win 50 games.
    • If I didn't know any better, I would have thought it was a miracle to make it to the Superbowl as a 6th seeded Wildcard.
    • The things I've read and the things I've seen, I didn't know that the Green Bay Packers were this experienced Superbowl team destined for continued greatness.

Luckily, I know better.

I know that the Green Bay Packers haven't earned sh*t. They haven't done anything more than the 1994 San Diego Chargers, the 1985 New England Patriots, 1986 Denver Broncos and other teams that were making their first Superbowl appearance in that specific era. While experience doesn't always mean anything, it means something at this stage of the discussion until it is proven on the field and in the outcome that it is meaningless.

Since Sunday, the media and talking heads on T.V. nationally have acted like the Green Bay Packers are the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Perhaps they wish this. Perhaps this is just a small sampling of 2 weeks worth of the same people discussing the same few topics and flip flopping multiple times in the process. It doesn't make it any less annoying, disrespectful and ignorant, though.

It drove me crazy the 2 weeks leading up to Super Bowl XLIII for a week and a half the Steelers were unbeatable. They were the team that had been there recently, won there, had the experience, a QB that was determined to prove critics wrong and erase his Super Bowl XL performance. It was accurate until the media decided to start casting doubt into the minds of the readers and viewers. Suddenly, the Cardinals had life, they could beat the Steelers. Dick LeBeau's defense had exploitable flaws. They convinced Rod Woodson to sit there at a chalkboard and make up some b.s. about how our secondary could be exposed all day. It was enough to get a few people to predict an Arizona Cardinals victory. It got anyone talking about Marshall Faulk than he will ever deserve as an analyst.

The common theme regarding the Arizona Cardinals that the media hung onto was that Kurt Warner had been there before, he had won, he had lost, but this was his 3rd appearance. Kurt Warner was coming off a statistical season better than what Green Bay's Aaron Rogers accomplished this year. Looking back, not being in the moment I can accept that and understand that line of reasoning. Experience can matter. It was a justified line of reasoning.

The media doesn't have that line of reasoning now. There is absolutely nothing that can be used to justify the Green Bay Packers winning the Super Bowl. Reasons will be given, excuses will be attempted but there's very little to base any of it on.

The Green Bay Packers are the rookie going into battle against the grizzled vets. They are going into battle with a team that has been crowned as Champions twice in the past 2 seasons. The Packers at this stage are nothing more than the Philadelphia Eagles and Seattle Seahawks of the 2000's. Annual failures in the playoffs that finally got over the hump after enough tries. We could call them the 1995 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Whatever anyone in the media decides to "hand-out" to the Green Bay Packers for finally reaching the Superbowl in a very weak NFC, the one thing they can't be handed is an "achievement" of having been here.

You earn that "achievement" after, not as you arrive.
    Last edited by Kipper; Feb-27-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Green Bay Packers And Aaron Rogers Haven't Earned Sh*t!

What everyone forgets about gambling odds are that they are not a reflection of which team the oddsmakers think is better.

They are a reflection where they think the most money will be bet.
    Packers generally have more money bet on them so that's why they are the favorite.

As far as the media types go you just have to ignore them.
    Yesterday a guy called out NFL radio's Adam Schein, nailed him on everything, and you know what Schein did?

He didn't give a ****, because he knows he's full of ****.
    Before the playoffs he called the Ravens unstoppable, when they lost he jumped on the Jets (probably because he's a Jets employee he does their local postgame show) now he's on the Packers junk.

So what?
    These clowns are paid to give an opinion, most times to get people riled up.
    And most of us, including me, fall for it.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What everyone forgets about gambling odds are that they are not a reflection of which team the oddsmakers think is better.

They are a reflection where they think the most money will be bet.
    Packers generally have more money bet on them so that's why they are the favorite.

As far as the media types go you just have to ignore them.
    Yesterday a guy called out NFL radio's Adam Schein, nailed him on everything, and you know what Schein did?

He didn't give a ****, because he knows he's full of ****.
    Before the playoffs he called the Ravens unstoppable, when they lost he jumped on the Jets (probably because he's a Jets employee he does their local postgame show) now he's on the Packers junk.

So what?
    These clowns are paid to give an opinion, most times to get people riled up.
    And most of us, including me, fall for it.
    That's what you're going to get for the next 2 weeks. You are going to get the media talking about a variety of things but to ignore it is pure lunacy and you know you can't do and to be honest, who the hell wants to? It's entertainment and we are here to talk about what these people are saying, thinking and suggesting.

Right now, the common theme is that the Packers are the Steelers. Everything they are saying to talk up the Packers are things that usually fall on the backs of a team with the Pittsburgh steelers accomplishments, not a team that's not done **** - like Green Bay.

So we'll discuss

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't say don't discuss.
    In fact I was starting the discussion.

I'm just saying people shouldn't let this stuff get to them.

I feel like I'm hearing a very whiney tone coming from a lot of our fellow Steelers fans (and I'm not saying that's what your article is.)

For instance I just jumped on my facebook page and someone has posted a picture of the President in Green Bay today holding a Packers jersey, and they're going off about what a slight it is. A politician went somewhere and posed with a local team's jersey!! What an outrage!

The Steelers are the six-time, probably going on 7-time world champs.
    I'd like to see people have more of a "been here before" attitude.

Because guess what?
    We've been here before.
    Last edited by Waiting for LaRoche; Jan-26-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Threads : 164

I feel like I'm hearing a very whiney tone coming from a lot of our fellow Steelers fans (and I'm not saying that's what your article is.)

For instance I just jumped on my facebook page and someone has posted a picture of the President in Green Bay today holding a Packers jersey, and they're going off about what a slight it is. A politician went somewhere and posed with a local team's jersey!! What an outrage!

Because guess what?
    We've been here before.
    MAN YOU SAID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AGREE!!!
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 188

I could be wrong but I believe there are only 2 packers with Super Bowl experience - charles woodson & ryan pickett.........woodson with the raiders when they lost SB XXXVII to the bucs and pickett on the rams for SB XXXVI, they lost to the cheats.......looks like their going 0 for 2!
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My Rugby team had a mantra by which to play: "When we want your respect, we'll beat it out of you".
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Because guess what?
    We've been here before.
    I'll drink to this but you're drawing a fine line. there's the overdramatic and then there's the general critique. The overdramatics are always there though. that's a week in and week out type of thing. We see it here.

but when it comes to the media and **** like that, critiquing them is half of the game and most of the fun. This 2 weeks is going to mainly be all about the media, what they say, what they are trying to tell us and as fans, we are here defending our team and our players against what will be at times an - onslaught of media criticisms and suggestions and opinions.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd be content just waking up and having it next Saturday already.

I can already forsee I'm going to get "Super-Bowled out" in the meantime.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'll drink to this but you're drawing a fine line. there's the overdramatic and then there's the general critique. The overdramatics are always there though. that's a week in and week out type of thing. We see it here.

but when it comes to the media and **** like that, critiquing them is half of the game and most of the fun. This 2 weeks is going to mainly be all about the media, what they say, what they are trying to tell us and as fans, we are here defending our team and our players against what will be at times an - onslaught of media criticisms and suggestions and opinions.
    Again, I'm not drawing any lines let alone fine ones.

I never said don't critique, I've said people shouldn't let the stuff get to them.
    I said I would like to see people man up a bit and get thicker skin.
    I never said don't talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    I'd be content just waking up and having it next Saturday already.

I can already forsee I'm going to get "Super-Bowled out" in the meantime.
    In 2008 it got to be like crack to me. I found myself each day in the week leading up to the superbowl, watching more and more tv from NFL Network to ESPN, reading this and that....

I expected get burnt out and didn't.

Next week is more fun anyways, since everything shifts to dallas, the players are there, interviews out the *** and all of that good stuff. NFL Network if it hasn't yet should be showing the old Super Bowls . This is the week that drags badly

Again, I'm not drawing any lines let alone fine ones.

I never said don't critique, I've said people shouldn't let the stuff get to them.
    I said I would like to see people man up a bit and get thicker skin.
    I never said don't talk about.
    One person can see Critiquing as a mean s of letting something get to them. You don't critique something if it doesn't bother you and if something bothers you then... it got to you Now you're treading a line of making a personal judgment call on what is a fair critique and overdramatics. That's tough to do

What's manning up and getting thicker skin? My take is that it means "don't talk about something that someone else says that you could view negatively", just take the negative from the other side and act like you've been there before and don't discuss it. You said it yourself "just ignore them". You can't discuss and critique if you believe that we should all just ignore everything

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As long as I don't confuse my Super-Bowling with my Super-Bowelling, all is well.

'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    As long as I don't confuse my Super-Bowling with my Super-Bowelling, all is well.

LOL!
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 102
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information