Thread: Sidney Crosby Out, New NHL Rule Only Half Effective

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Sidney Crosby Out, New NHL Rule Only Half Effective

The Brain Blog

Concussions have become a major topic of conversation in the sports world, and everyone is making strides to change and improve the culture to make it safer to play. Krystina Lucido will be keeping PressBox readers up-to-date with all the latest news concerning head injuries and concussions from youth leagues to the pros.

Sidney Crosby Out, New NHL Rule Only Half Effective
    By Krystina Lucido

The Pittsburgh Penguins confirmed Jan. 24 the face of their franchise, Sidney Crosby, will not play in the NHL's All-Star game Jan. 30 because of a concussion.

Not a total shocker considering the Penguins' captain sustained the injury in a game against the Tampa Bay Lightning Jan. 5. He has missed a total of nine games, a number which will most likely continue to climb because he still has not been cleared to participate in any physical activity including practice and still has some lingering symptoms.

Concussions are a likely injury in such a physical, contact sport, but the NHL did institute a new rule at the beginning of the season, Rule 48, which makes checks to the head illegal, but only from the blind side. This rule seems counterproductive. Why not make all checks to the head illegal, whether intentional or not?

A rule of this nature is being considered by general managers across the league, but why wasn't it instituted across the board in the first place?

[Read More ...]
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Sidney Crosby Out, New NHL Rule Only Half Effective

While I don't agree that this is a non-shocker, considering this is a first time "mild concussion" as was described to us, I whole heartedly agree about the NHL Rule

You pay these people a butt-load of money to do nothing but analyze this stuff and create rules on it and for the money they do half of the job?

Hits to the head have to be guarded against. I don't get too upset about the penalties called during a game because it's a judgment call then and there, I just hate the inconsistency and general blindness by a league when they get to review the hits and determine suspensions, fines or nothing. We saw it all season as Steelers fans with James Harrison.

The problem with any of this is that you're going to get a gray area of judgment and with that comes inaccuracies and prosecutions of people that are innocent based on someone's personal judgment call. However if you're going to do it for blindside hits and already but this gray area rule into affect, go the 100% and do it for all head shots like this Article suggests. You can't say that you are trying to "protect" when you half *** something. Be proactive instead of reactive

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I find it hard to believe that Sid's concusion occured in the Tampa Bay game and not the Winter Classic> Sounds to me like the organization and medical staff are trying to cover their asses!!!

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it hard to believe that Sid's concusion occured in the Tampa Bay game and not the Winter Classic> Sounds to me like the organization and medical staff are trying to cover their asses!!!
    I think that all of the symptoms for a concussion were there in the Winter Classic game and our crackpot medical staff like everyone else it seems, let him play with it and then the Tampa game was the one that did it. just my guess... Anyway you slice it, until sid is back on the ice practicing and getting ready to play, I'm going completely pessimistic on this. This is just a long period of time to be out with a a mild first time concussion

Threads : 17
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe I'm medically accurate with respect to brain injuries to say that the Steckle hit left Sid with a situation where the next hit would likely precipitate the symptoms.

A good article by the Tampa Tribune hockey writer today (2/13/11) addressed some of the issues involved in the injury to Sid:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/feb...rts-lightning/

It is also amusing to read what the knuckle-dragging Crosby-envy posters are writing on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-vGuHLIPoc
    Last edited by logopogo; Feb-13-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: misspell

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information