Thread: LeBeau: 'If I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers'NFL.com

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default LeBeau: 'If I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers'NFL.com

LeBeau: 'If I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers'NFL.com

Published: Jan. 26, 2011 at 04:50 p.m. Updated: Jan. 26, 2011 at 05:29 p.m.

Dick LeBeau denied Wednesday that he will leave the Pittsburgh Steelers after the season, telling NFL Network, "With this defense, with this group of men, they'll have to run me out of here."

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau insisted Wednesday that if he coaches next season, it will be with the Pittsburgh Steelers. (Don Wright/Associated Press)

ESPN reported over the weekend that LeBeau's contract expires after the season and he would strongly consider joining the Arizona Cardinals, who have many former Steelers assistants, led by head coach Ken Whisenhunt, on staff. The team also needs a defensive coordinator after firing Bill Davis earlier this month.

LeBeau didn't specifically mention the Cardinals scenario Wednesday, but he said, "I'm not thinking about leaving tomorrow, I'll put it that way."

"I promise you, if I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers," LeBeau said as the team prepared for the Feb. 6 Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

LeBeau, 73, has been the Steelers' defensive coordinator since 2004, building one of the NFL's most-feared units. LeBeau is widely respected by Steelers players, who took a day off training camp to attend the coach's Hall of Fame induction last summer.

LeBeau had 62 interceptions, tied for eighth in NFL history, in 14 seasons as a Detroit Lions defensive back (1959-72). He entered the NFL coaching ranks with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1973 and also was an assistant for the Green Bay Packers, Cincinnati Bengals and Buffalo Bills. He has served two stints with the Steelers, as secondary coach (1992-94), then defensive coordinator (1995-96) the first time.

LeBeau was the Bengals' head coach from 2000 to 2002, going 12-33 before he was fired and eventually replaced by Marvin Lewis.
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: LeBeau: 'If I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers'NFL.com

Chris Mortensen needs to STFU!

Threads : 440

Default Re: LeBeau: 'If I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers'NFL.com

LeBeau shoots down report linking him to Arizona

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, January 28, 2011

Dick LeBeau
    Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Two years ago during Super Bowl week, Dick LeBeau was said to be contemplating retirement. This year, ESPN reported that LeBeau is interested in joining good friend Ken Whisenhunt in Arizona.

However, the Steelers' 73-year-old defensive coordinator made it clear that, if he returns to the sideline next season, it won't be in the desert.

"You're going to be waiting a long time to see that," LeBeau said Thursday when asked why he wasn't wearing an Arizona Cardinals shirt at the Steelers' practice facility.

LeBeau told the NFL Network on Wednesday: "I promise you: If I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers."

LeBeau is in the final year of his contract. Typically, the Steelers renew assistant coach contracts every two years. Even though a new contract isn't in place, the players aren't worried that LeBeau will defect.

"I hope that is just a dirty rumor going around," linebacker James Farrior said. "He wouldn't look good. That man is a Steeler. I don't think he has a desire to go anywhere else. This is the best job in the world. He loves being here. He wouldn't trade it for the world."

LeBeau has won two Super Bowl titles and has numerous top-ranked defenses on his resume. His unit was ranked in the top three in 14 categories this year, including a team-record 62.8 rushing yards allowed per game.

"Coach LeBeau isn't worrying about nothing but this Super Bowl and preparing this defense," cornerback Ike Taylor said.

Taylor said he can't imagine LeBeau with another team.

"I can't even see him doing that," he said. "I don't want to see him doing that. I wouldn't want to see him go anywhere else, (but) then again, that's on Coach LeBeau."

Read more: LeBeau shoots down report linking him to Arizona - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1CIs7u91s

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information