Thread: Collier : For Seven's Sake, Let's Give It All A Rest

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Collier : For Seven's Sake, Let's Give It All A Rest

Collier: For seven's sake, let's give it all a rest
    Thursday, January 27, 2011
    By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Amy Sancetta/AP

Leave the Stairway to Seven stuff to Led Zep.

Maybe sometime before the Steelers have landed and settled themselves where the stars at night are big and bright, the rest of us can flush from our systems this sudden and stubborn compulsion to invoke this oh-thank-heaven-for-7 (but not 11) word play.

Apparently, and I mean very apparently, the Steelers have come upon the opportunity to win their seventh Super Bowl a week from Sunday in Texas, so the first burst of seventh heaven cleverness and spontaneous wit was perhaps inevitable and even inspired in the hours after the AFC championship game grounding of Rex Ryan's deafening Jets.

"At the gates of seven" was certainly a solid, worthy and playful headline on Monday of this week, but by Monday of next, let's hope that the next four thousand usages of classic rock imagery unleashed by "Stairway to Seven" and "Knock knock knockin' on Seven's door" haven't led us over the edge of an even slipperier slope.

I bumped into Steelers personnel chief Kevin Colbert upstairs near the club's executive offices on the South Side Wednesday, for example, but it didn't occur to me that I'd gotten there by climbing the Stairway to Kevin.

Oh, like you could resist it.

As it happens, Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" do not merely provide the seven-rhyming capacity required as the jumping off point for all these constructions, but actually provide a cultural link between the pantheonic Steelers teams of the '70s and this new dynasty in waiting.

"Stairway" was written in 1971, which is deep in the Old Testament, or B.F. -- before Franco. By the time Zeppelin began performing one of the greatest rock songs of all time to initially lukewarm receptions, the Emperor Charles Henry Noll had finally begun rolling out the Hall of Fame icons of Super Bowls IX, X, XIII, and XIV. Lyrically, there's plenty of symbolism available in "Stairway" that can be converted for the truly Steeler-centric in multiple generations.

And was we wind on down the road
    Our shadows taller than our soul
    There walks a lady we all know
    Who shines white light and wants to show
    How everything still turns to gold
    And if you listen very hard
    The tune will come to you at last
    When all are one and one is all
    To be a rock and not to roll

Obviously a Robert Plant reference to Rocky Bleier right there, and it's worth pointing out that you never had to play it backward to know that the Rock didn't roll for anybody.

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is of that same era, written for a 1973 film called Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid, but this knock-knock-knockin' is hard-as-concrete elemental Dylan, nothing terribly allegorical but rather the uncomplicated dying words of a deputy asking his mother to take off his badge. The Seven represented by this Heaven and the Seven you take the Stairway to seem diametrically opposed, so unless you feel like the Steelers are going to be down 21-0 at half, you might want to lean hard toward Zeppelin on this issue.

After that, of course, is where things get tricky, because you need some fairly convoluted modern story lines to make the whole heaven/seven technique work for your purposes in the cultural backwoods. The most popular slogan in Wisconsin by week's end will doubtless be Seven Can Wait. (If that's not the headline over a Packers win in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel the morning of Feb. 7, well, they're just not trying.)

The remaining heaven/seven book and film and song titles aren't terribly promising.
    I suppose if one team or another loses in some circumstance traced directly to the officiating, you could present that story under Seven Angry Men, or if the Steelers littered Super Bowl 45 with the right number of mistakes, four penalties, two turnovers, and a touchdown-causing special teams breakdown, we could give you the Seven Deadly Sins.

Look, I told you this wouldn't go well.

I suppose any number of ramp-up stories having to do with Ben Roethlisberger could fall under Seven Help Us, or that a final score of 77-7 might bring you Sevens to Betsy, but the best case narrative along these lines remains for the Steelers to beat the Packers, secure Lombardi Trophy No. 7, only to find upon their arrival at the postgame celebration that a massive shipment of Iron City bound for North Texas had been inexplicably intercepted.

Somewhere, there's someone who just can't wait to pull the trigger on that headline:
    In Seven there is no beer.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027...medium=twitter
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817

Default Re: Collier : For Seven's Sake, Let's Give It All A Rest

Buzz ****ing Kill

Look... I don't like fight songs or any song that brings sports or teams into the equation for the most part but I posted the 2011 "Here we go" superbowl Song. It's an awful song and was an awful song back in 1994 or 1995 when it was originally written BUT this stuff is fun for people and right now this is a time to have fun so naturally Gene collier or anyone employed by the Post-Gazette naturally has to come in and Debbie Down it
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Buzz ****ing Kill

Look... I don't like fight songs or any song that brings sports or teams into the equation for the most part but I posted the 2011 "Here we go" superbowl Song. It's an awful song and was an awful song back in 1994 or 1995 when it was originally written BUT this stuff is fun for people and right now this is a time to have fun so naturally Gene collier or anyone employed by the Post-Gazette naturally has to come in and Debbie Down it
    Iike em except for when the team itself does them. The here we go song is not good but it's an institution now and gets me going. Yeah tho buzzkill. What does he expect everyone just to on business as usual? The anticipation is half the fun. Anyway this article isn't going to slow anything down so what's the point? Couldn't think of anything else to write about? Lazy.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What a wonderful little world Gene Collier seems to live in. No chance for optimism, just his usual articles that are the literary version of flagellation.

Oh, BTW, Gene, "Stairway..." underwent initial writing and some early session recording in 1970 and was in the Zep's set as a "new song" (as introduced by Planty on the "Live at the BBC" album, disc 2 which was recorded in early '71). I know, a minor point, but I become such a pedant in the face of arrant ****tery.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Buzz ****ing Kill

So does this mean you aren't going to write the Pittsburgh Tavern Fight Song?
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 29

I'm not a fight song kind of guy and yes alot of this **** is corny but you now what????

**** you Gene. People are just trying to have some fun and enjoy the run. So go **** yourself with a chainsaw ya jagoff.

Threads : 188

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    So does this mean you aren't going to write the Pittsburgh Tavern Fight Song?
    Here's some lyrics to help start, use any tune you wish:

So get behind the Steeler's,
    we want to see them win,
    don't post any bull****,
    or we'll smack you're f****** chin!
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 32
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really like Gene Collier and think he is the most creative of all the Pittsburgh sportswriters!
    I can't see where the critisizm is comin from.....****, we have to kill 2 weeks to get to Super Bowl kickoff, and we don't have Rex Ryan trash talk this time around.....OH....WAIT.....forget that, we didn't have any trash talk or anything interesting leading up to the AFC Championship...

The best stuff other than Collier's I can find up to this point is the **** about McCarthy and his ties to all his relatives and buds (who grow exponentially by the hour) out in Greenfield....Interesting stuff for an hour or so........BUT........all I got to say is.........:

If you live in Pittsburgh/Allegheny County or the nearby area and you are rooting for the Green Bay Packers, then Uncle Ranrod has a message for you:
    **** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

...anyway, I digress.....I enjoyed Collier's article as lighthearted and funny as are most all of his columns.....what else can I say
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Signature by Viz...and in memory of him, Bill Shanaberger 1939-2010

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Iike em except for when the team itself does them.[/HIGH-LIGHT] The here we go song is not good but it's an institution now and gets me going. Yeah tho buzzkill. What does he expect everyone just to on business as usual? The anticipation is half the fun. Anyway this article isn't going to slow anything down so what's the point? Couldn't think of anything else to write about? Lazy.
    Exactly!

I remember as I drove to a Super Bowl party in 95, where a bunch of ******* Browns fans (sorry that was redundant) would be and I heard on the way there that the Steelers did a wrap song (those two words should never be used together as it indicates that rap is music), I knew it was over!
    Last edited by Stone; Jan-27-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Threads : 440

Flower Mound's Mean Joe Greene: Current Steelers carrying my legacy

Mean Joe Greene appeared in this famous commercial in 1979, in which a child gives him a Coke, prompting Mean Joe to smile and give the kid his team jersey. The commercial was listed as one of the top ten commercials of all time by TV Guide magazine.

By KATE HAIROPOULOS, Staff Writer
    Published 28 January 2011 12:18 AM

PITTSBURGH Mean Joe Greene , a Pro Football Hall of Famer and founding member of the Pittsburgh Steelers' Steel Curtain defenses of the 1970s, endorses the current Steelers D.

From linebacker James Harrison "he's still on a mission," Greene said to bushy-haired safety Troy Polamalu , whom Greene complimented as a throwback player who lets his playmaking do his talking, the contemporary shutdown defense reflects the modus operandi the Steelers' empire was built on. The unit has lifted the team into Super Bowl XLV against Green Bay on Feb. 6 at Cowboys Stadium.

"I'm a fan of theirs," said Greene, a native Texan who played at North Texas and lives in Flower Mound . The former defensive tackle serves as a scout for the Steelers, with whom he won four Super Bowls in six seasons in the late '70s.

Current Steelers are relentlessly reminded about Pittsburgh's snarling defensive greatness of Greene's Era. Playing in their third Super Bowl in six seasons, it's something they embrace.
    "We want to uphold that tradition somewhat," Harrison said after a recent practice at the Steelers' snowy South Side headquarters.

"So far, so good," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "We know the guys in the 1970s were mean sons of guns. We're trying to do that the same way.

"It's about being physical. Coach [Mike Tomlin] always says throw the first punch, lay the first hit."

The Steelers led the NFL in rushing defense in 2010 , allowing 62.8 yards per game impressive even for them in their specialty. They ranked first in scoring defense (14.5 points per game) and sacks (48), second in total defense (276.8 yards per game), third in takeaways (35) and 12th against the pass (214.1 yards per game).

In the AFC championship win over the New York Jets, the Steelers withstood the Jets' second-half surge in part because of a defensive touchdown late in the first half and a goal-line stand in the fourth quarter.

In the divisional playoff against Baltimore, the Steelers forced three turnovers in the third quarter to spur a come-from-behind win.

Tomlin is a former defensive coordinator. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, 73, in the seventh season of his second stint with the Steelers, entered the Hall of Fame in August. The whole team took the bus ride to Canton, Ohio for the induction.

Beloved for his zone-blitzing 3-4 scheme and consistently strong defenses, LeBeau received tributes from players and fans. A poster on Carson Street features his face accompanied by the word "Blitz."

Harrison, Polamalu and defensive end Brett Keisel were chosen for the Pro Bowl. Harrison, who was fined four times for a total of $125,000 during the season for dangerous hits, registered 101/2 sacks and 100 tackles. Polamalu had seven interceptions despite missing two games with an ankle injury.

To win the franchise's seventh Super Bowl title, the current Steelers will have to limit Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his deep fleet of receivers. Rodgers is "hot as fish grease right now," linebacker James Farrior said. "We've all got a lot of confidence in Dick LeBeau that he's going to come up with something."

The secondary has been called the Steelers' defensive weakness, which has riled some players. Well, here's the chance to clear it up.

"I'm done being disrespected, I'm done even caring," safety Ryan Clark said. "Maybe the other six or seven people on the field are that much better than everybody else that they can overcome us being so terrible. Maybe we're all right. Either way, it doesn't matter.

"This group can say it's played two or three Super Bowls together. I think we're doing all right."
    Another Super Bowl ring would indicate that's the case, moving the Steelers closer to what those vaunted defenses of the past accomplished. Greene, who said he wants the Steelers to play well so much that he physically feels the ups and downs of games, will be at Cowboys Stadium to take it all in.

"It's unfair to us, and it's unfair to them," Greene said of comparing the eras. "I'm so happy that they're here and can get a third ring. ... If this group can put their third up, then we can start seriously talking about it. ... They are carrying the legacy further, and that's what's wonderful about it."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/sup...-my-legacy.ece

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information