Flozell the Hotel checks into first Super Bowl
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
Thursday January 27, 2011

PITTSBURGH — When Flozell Adams woke up Monday, his body was sore all over. As a veteran of 13 pro seasons, it’s tough to get out of bed the morning after a night game.

But three days ago at the crack of dawn, the Steelers’ mammoth right tackle shrugged off the aches and pains of a hard-fought AFC Championship Game.

“I was still wanting more,” he said.

Adams will get more Feb. 6. when he plays in his first Super Bowl. And as fate would have it, he’ll experience that thrill in Dallas where he spent the first 12 years of his career.

“Honestly, it doesn’t matter that it’s in Dallas,” Adams said. “It could be anywhere in this whole world just as long as it’s the Super Bowl. I’m just happy to be part of it.”

Adams’ teammates are happy that he’s part of it, too.

“It would mean just as much for me to win one for Flozell, especially since he’s going back to Dallas,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “He’s never had a chance to play in a Super Bowl. So I want to win for him as much as myself.”

When Adams played in Dallas, teams he played on made the playoffs five times. But only once in those five postseason appearances did Dallas win a game. That was last year when the Cowboys beat the Eagles in a wild-card game. But a week later, the Cowboys were blown out by the Vikings.

So after he was cut last April by the Cowboys, Adams wanted to sign with a team that had a chance to make go deep into the playoffs and maybe even win a Super Bowl. That team turned out to be the Steelers, who needed a tackle to replace injured Willie Colon.

“Flozell has all the money and all the accolades in the world,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “All he wants to do is play for a winner.”

Now that “Flozell the Hotel” has finally made it the Super Bowl, there’s speculation that he’s down to his last game. He might pull a Jerome Bettis.

Immediately after the Steelers won Super Bowl XL in his native Detroit, “The Bus” ended his 13-year career. Bettis used a victorious Super Bowl setting as the stage to announce his retirement.

“I don’t see why he won’t (retire),” said tackle Max Starks, who’s been on injured reserve since Nov. 10 with a neck injury. “Thirteen years in the league … five Pro Bowls … All-Pro once … and now, if we can give him that last, one thing … and that’s to be a Super Bowl champion behind that long resume of his, I think that seals it.”

Adams, though, won’t say if he’s even pondered retirement.

“I’m thinking about this season only,” he said.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...uper-bowl.html