Thread: Can you identify where this article on Pedro is from?

Threads : 122

Default Can you identify where this article on Pedro is from?

A coworker forwarded me this article on Pedro, but after two days of browsing the internet I was unable to locate this to provide a link. If you know where this is from, please paste a link in here.

On another note, maybe the Pirates would have been wiser to just get the move to first base over with and spend some money on a 3B instead of Overbay.

Alvarez Has a Lot on His Plate -- a Bit too Much

PITTSBURGH It will take a big man to carry the Pirates offense next season, but not quite as big as Pedro Alvarez happens to be at the moment, apparently. Alvarez has put on a few pounds this off-season, and more than one team official isn't thrilled about it. At last report, the third baseman had ballooned in excess of 240 pounds, at least 15 pounds more than he finished last season.

To be fair here, Alvarez has had a lot on his plate this winter. Last weekend he was married to Keli Murphy at the Nashville City Club in downtown Nashville, not far from Vanderbilt University, where he played college ball. When coach Nick Leyva called him before the big day, Alvarez was ecstatic to talk about baseball again.

Alvarez admits to a Latin food addiction, but he has lifted more than a few forks this off-season. Earlier this winter, he added some muscle as part of a strength and condition program. He's stronger than ever.

Alvarez will have two months to reach his desired weight before the start of the regular season, so team officials aren't overly concerned about the situation at this point. If anything, they're disappointed.

At the close of last season, Neal Huntington suggested that Alvarez could accomplish virtually anything in his career if he wanted it badly enough. Specifically, the Pirates general manager said that physical condition would have a lot to say about whether or not he fulfilled his immense potential in the years to come.

Alvarez still has a lot to learn -- he will turn 24 years old next month -- so it's premature to pass final judgment on his discipline and worth ethic at this point. At the same time, it's not too early to say that he has a lot to prove in these areas.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Can you identify where this article on Pedro is from?

It's from Pirates Report (thanks to rumbunter for hooking up the answer!)

http://www.piratesreport.com/
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A coworker forwarded me this article on Pedro, but after two days of browsing the internet I was unable to locate this to provide a link. If you know where this is from, please paste a link in here.

On another note, maybe the Pirates would have been wiser to just get the move to first base over with and spend some money on a 3B instead of Overbay.

Alvarez Has a Lot on His Plate -- a Bit too Much

PITTSBURGH – It will take a big man to carry the Pirates offense next season, but not quite as big as Pedro Alvarez happens to be at the moment, apparently. Alvarez has put on a few pounds this off-season, and more than one team official isn't thrilled about it. At last report, the third baseman had ballooned in excess of 240 pounds, at least 15 pounds more than he finished last season.

To be fair here, Alvarez has had a lot on his plate this winter. Last weekend he was married to Keli Murphy at the Nashville City Club in downtown Nashville, not far from Vanderbilt University, where he played college ball. When coach Nick Leyva called him before the big day, Alvarez was ecstatic to talk about baseball again.

Alvarez admits to a Latin food addiction, but he has lifted more than a few forks this off-season. Earlier this winter, he added some muscle as part of a strength and condition program. He's stronger than ever.

Alvarez will have two months to reach his desired weight before the start of the regular season, so team officials aren't overly concerned about the situation at this point. If anything, they're disappointed.

At the close of last season, Neal Huntington suggested that Alvarez could accomplish virtually anything in his career if he wanted it badly enough. Specifically, the Pirates general manager said that physical condition would have a lot to say about whether or not he fulfilled his immense potential in the years to come.

Alvarez still has a lot to learn -- he will turn 24 years old next month -- so it's premature to pass final judgment on his discipline and worth ethic at this point. At the same time, it's not too early to say that he has a lot to prove in these areas.
    1. Pirates likely draft Rendon who is a 3B.
    2. The 3rd Base Market in Free Agency was ****tier than the 1st Base market. Pedro is better at 3B than what was available out there and if applied well (and Im slowly buying into it), a platoon at 1B of Overbay and Pearce could produce better results than what would've replaced {edro at 3B

First I've heard about Pedro gaining that much weight but they did mention muscle mass. It is the Pirates Report too, so Im not entire sure with how much I'd be trusting the info

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    1. Pirates likely draft Rendon who is a 3B.
    2. The 3rd Base Market in Free Agency was ****tier than the 1st Base market. Pedro is better at 3B than what was available out there and if applied well (and Im slowly buying into it), a platoon at 1B of Overbay and Pearce could produce better results than what would've replaced {edro at 3B

First I've heard about Pedro gaining that much weight but they did mention muscle mass. It is the Pirates Report too, so Im not entire sure with how much I'd be trusting the info
    Thanks Kipper. I guess at 240lbs I just envision Prince Fielder manning 3B for us. I guess he could kind of just be a backstop down there. Let the ball hit his belly then rifle it over to 1B.

I hope Rendon is the obvious choice come draft day. Would be nice to have two solid power hitting corner IF for once.

Thanks Kipper. I guess at 240lbs I just envision Prince Fielder manning 3B for us. I guess he could kind of just be a backstop down there. Let the ball hit his belly then rifle it over to 1B.

I hope Rendon is the obvious choice come draft day. Would be nice to have two solid power hitting corner IF for once.
    It would be a dream. I don';t think we've ever had 2 stud power hitting corner IF's on the same roster.

Im sure that Pedro's weight will trim down by the time the season starts. I also question whether it really is at 240 right now too

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    It would be a dream. I don';t think we've ever had 2 stud power hitting corner IF's on the same roster.

Im sure that Pedro's weight will trim down by the time the season starts. I also question whether it really is at 240 right now too
    He's really a 200 pound player with a 40 pound black girls ***.

He's really a 200 pound player with a 40 pound black girls ***.
    He seems likea pretty thjick build type of kid... which would be the opposite of the fat pile of juggly that Princess Fielder is

I hope Rendon is all "that" too.

Threads : 197

I realize this post is a month old and the accuracy of that article has been challenged, but I just learned 2 things that I thought were pretty funny:

1. His first year at Vanderbilt Alvarez was listed at 6'2" 195 pounds. By the start of his junior year he was listed as 225. I guess back then he really was gaining 15 pounds every offseason.

2. The girl Alvarez married over the offseason is a nutritionist. Seriously. Imagine if he married a chef or something.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information