Thread: VLOG: Steelers may play a game in Ireland next season

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default VLOG: Steelers may play a game in Ireland next season

VLOG: Steelers may play a game in Ireland next season
    January 28, 2011

Times sports writer Mike Bires reports that the NFL's international series could have the Steelers playing in Dublin, Ireland during the 2011 regular season.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...xt-season.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Default Re: VLOG: Steelers may play a game in Ireland next season

... Actually, I thought they played a preseason game in Mexico several years ago, not Ireland as Bires stated. Either way, I could actually see this happening, and I hate it.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Having lived in the UK, I honestly don't see people there embracing the NFL. They pretty much hate anything to do with American things. They even say our chocolate tastes like vomit. And yes, I realize that Ireland isn't part of the UK but it's a moot point.
    Last edited by Blackandgold; Jan-28-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having lived in the UK, I honestly don't see people there embracing the NFL.
    If so, why do the games in London sell-out rather quickly?... I honestly don't know, and I really hate the concept of "international games" with a passion.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    If so, why do the games in London sell-out rather quickly?... I honestly don't know, and I really hate the concept of "international games" with a passion.
    I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm not sure how many tickets that is exactly. And, how many of those tickets are give-aways? Not sure. Don't know how to find that out.
    Last edited by Blackandgold; Jan-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm not sure how many tickets that is exactly.
    I'm not sure how many tix that is either, but apparently they sell-out Wembley Stadium (or whatever it's called) rather quickly for the NFL game there each year... Now, I'm sure that a certain percentage of tix are witheld for those wishing to make the trip across the pond, but it has been a sold-out event each year... Obviously there must be some sort of interest for it to be this way... I dunno...

Sports Logo

Searching Google it looks like there's 90,000 seats in Wembley so that's respectable.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NFL Europe was awesome during it's time. There were some good fanbases in Germany, and Scotland had some rabid fans during their tenure... so, I think it's catching on, albeit slowly.

I'd all be for an away game before a bye played in Ireland. Why not. Polamalu, druids, lucky leoparchauns and pots of gold..sort of work together for the NFL's cash cow marketing angle.

Threads : 122

During Ben's rookie season, when the Eagles rolled into town undefeated, I had 4 or 5 Irish people sitting beside me. The guy in the seat next to me was a rabid Eagles fan and flew in straight from Ireland to catch the game. Good dude, shared some of his Bushmills with me.

Threads : 186

McKenna: No Croker visit for Steelers
    Friday, January 28, 2011 - 09:29 AM

Croke Park director Peter McKenna has dismissed a report suggesting Superbowl finalists the Pittsburgh Steelers could play a regular NFL season game at Croke Park later this year — but confirmed the GAA have asked for the Government’s assistance in attracting such a fixture to headquarters.

McKenna distanced Croke Park from American media speculation that the Steelers, owned by US Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney’s family, would stage one of their home games there this autumn.

However, he revealed they have met with the Department of Arts, Sports and Tourism about making an approach to the NFL.

"We felt there was an opportunity to make an overture to the NFL to stage one of their international fixtures at Croke Park," said McKenna.

"But to do that we need the proper support so we have met with Con Haugh (the Department’s general secretary and the Minister (Mary Hanafin).

"This is something like the Ryder Cup, the Tour de France of the Tall Ships because it requires a national push.

"We’d be competing with countries like Canada, Mexico and Germany.

"It just can’t happen this year. We haven’t even approached the NFL for a meeting to see if we could make a bid if a bid is even available to make."

According to New York-based Irish Echo newspaper, Croke Park was touted as a potential non-US venue at last weekend’s AFC championship win over the New York Jets.

A spokeswoman for Minister Mary Hanafin confirmed discussions had been held on the potential of a NFL regular season game being played in Ireland.

"Minister Mary Hanafin would very much welcome such a move to hold a future NFL game in Ireland, which has such a proud sporting tradition," the spokeswoman is reported to have said.

"There would be a great welcome for fans travelling with the teams as well as huge interest locally, and a knock-on boost for Ireland from a tourism perspective."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...#ixzz1CRFhEBkb
    WATCH GAMES LIVE ON LINKS BELOW

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information