Thread: Filling in for Pouncey is snap for Legursky

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Filling in for Pouncey is snap for Legursky

1/29/2011
    Filling in for Pouncey is snap for Legursky
    By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - In the moments after Pittsburgh's 24-19 victory over the New York Jets in the AFC Championship, the Steelers' offensive linemen gathered for a group photo in the locker room with the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

One player was conspicuous in his absence: center Maurkice Pouncey, who had suffered a sprained ankle in the first quarter and was still receiving treatment from team trainers.

It appears the celebration photo won't be only thing Pouncey will be missing.

Scans on Pouncey's ankle revealed not only a sprained ligament, but also a broken bone, putting the rookie's status for the Super Bowl Feb. 6 in Dallas against Green Bay in serious jeopardy.

For backup center Doug Legursky, it might mean he goes from being a guy who was released twice by the Steelers in 2008 after being signed as an undrafted rookie out of Marshall to starting in the Super Bowl.

Legursky, who started four games at right guard, said he's trying not to get caught up in the Super Bowl hype, which can be overwhelming.

"If you buy into it, it can be. But I'm going to prepare for it like it's just the next game," Legursky said. "I'll get in the film room and lock down on what we need to get done."

Perhaps Legursky starting in the Super Bowl is just the status quo for the Steelers' offensive line. Pouncey and right tackle Flozell Adams are the only linemen to make every start. Pittsburgh will use its sixth different starting line combination if Legursky is forced to open at center.

"We're all just a bunch of backups," said Ramon Foster, who started the last nine games at right guard. "It's nothing new for us."

That doesn't mean there wasn't a lot of excitement for Legursky in the moments following the AFC Championship.

"I turned my cell phone on after the game and it just blew up," said Legursky. "I had to eventually turn it off because there were so many calls and texts. I've heard from a good amount of people. It's nice to have the support that I have."

Though he hasn't been a regular starter, Legursky plays a crucial role in the Steelers' running game. The 6-1, 323-pound lineman often is used as a fullback in short-yardage situations. If Legursky starts at center, the Steelers will use tight end David Johnson in that short-yardage fullback role.

"Fullback is just four or five plays with a sore shoulder and a headache at the end of the day," Legursky said.

But when you weren't drafted and you've been released a couple of times, you'll do whatever it takes to win a roster spot and get on the field, particularly in the Super Bowl.

"It's been a crazy ride, and I'm going to ride it the whole way through and see where it takes me," Legursky said.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Odds and end zones[/HIGH-LIGHT]

The Steelers held their final practice Friday before leaving for Dallas on Monday. Cornerback Bryant McFadden, safety Troy Polamalu and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders participated for the first time this week. Defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) was limited. Pouncey, left tackle Jonathan Scott (ribs) and safety Will Allen (knee) did not practice.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...uncey-Legursky
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Filling in for Pouncey is snap for Legursky

I have a good feeling about "The Big" Legursky. He just gets the job done no matter what he is asked to do.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information