Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source: Maurkice Pouncey out

Threads : 691

Default Source: Maurkice Pouncey out

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie center Maurkice Pouncey will not play in Super Bowl XLV due to a fracture in his ankle and a high ankle sprain, according to a league source.

Super Bowl XLV
    Get all the news and commentary on the Steelers-Packers matchup at ESPN.com's Super Bowl Central.

• Clayton: Super Bowl questions
    • Blog: Road to the Super Bowl
    • Playoffs schedule | New OT rules
    • More: ESPNDallas.com
    • Blog network: AFC North | NFC North

Pouncey, and his teammates, have known this week that the standout rookie will not be able to play and that second-year undrafted free agent Doug Legursky will start Super Bowl XLV against the Green Bay Packers.

Legursky replaced Pouncey in the first quarter of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the New York Jets, and Pittsburgh did not appear to struggle much with the change at center.

Pouncey said after Sunday's game that he intended on playing in the Super Bowl. He was seen in a cast and on crutches Wednesday; later that day, teammate Chris Kemoeatu told reporters that Pouncey was not going to play in the Super Bowl. Kemoeatu backed off those comments Thursday.

Now Legursky will be asked to help defend, amongst others, Green Bay's 337-pound nose tackle B.J. Raji, who in last Sunday's NFC Championship Game became the heaviest player in postseason history to score a touchdown when he intercepted a pass from Bears quarterback Caleb Hanie and returned it for a score.

http://http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl...ory?id=6073965
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Source: Maurkice Pouncey out

Still waiting until I hear it officially from the Steelers
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still waiting until I hear it officially from the Steelers
    I honestly think we'll hear it soon. I see no possible senerio in which he plays. J.M.O.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Pittsburgh Steelers rookie center Maurkice Pouncey will not play in Super Bowl XLV due to a fracture in his ankle and a high ankle sprain, according to a league source.

Super Bowl XLV
    Get all the news and commentary on the Steelers-Packers matchup at ESPN.com's Super Bowl Central.

• Clayton: Super Bowl questions
    • Blog: Road to the Super Bowl
    • Playoffs schedule | New OT rules
    • More: ESPNDallas.com
    • Blog network: AFC North | NFC North

Pouncey, and his teammates, have known this week that the standout rookie will not be able to play and that second-year undrafted free agent Doug Legursky will start Super Bowl XLV against the Green Bay Packers.

Legursky replaced Pouncey in the first quarter of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the New York Jets, and Pittsburgh did not appear to struggle much with the change at center.

Pouncey said after Sunday's game that he intended on playing in the Super Bowl. He was seen in a cast and on crutches Wednesday; later that day, teammate Chris Kemoeatu told reporters that Pouncey was not going to play in the Super Bowl. Kemoeatu backed off those comments Thursday.

Now Legursky will be asked to help defend, amongst others, Green Bay's 337-pound nose tackle B.J. Raji, who in last Sunday's NFC Championship Game became the heaviest player in postseason history to score a touchdown when he intercepted a pass from Bears quarterback Caleb Hanie and returned it for a score.

http://http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl...ory?id=6073965
    Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I honestly think we'll hear it soon. I see no possible senerio in which he plays. J.M.O.
    I'm pessimistic on him playing as well ... I just won't eliminate all hop[e until I hear the official word

Threads : 49

I'll be shocked if he plays. But Pouncey seems to really want to play, a great attitude on that kid, so I guess anything is possible until it's official. It'll really suck for him not to play if he can't after what he's accomplished this year. Basically anchoring that line as a rookie.

Let's not forget that Mendy got most of his yards with Legursky in the game against the Jets. I have faith in Legs getting the job done. They'll have time to work on those snaps.

Threads : 440

Pouncey's absence huge setback

SUNDAY, JANUARY 30, 2011 10:30 AM WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

The injury to center Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers best offensive lineman, has put some fans in an advanced state of denial. They act like nothing has changed.

Plenty has changed. An outstanding lineman, Pro Bowl as a rookie, figures to be replaced by a backup with an undistinguished resume. It’s not certain that Doug Legursky will start at center against Green Bay in the Super Bowl, but Pouncey suffered a high ankle sprain and a broken bone in the AFC title game against the New York Jets and his chances of playing are not good.

That doesn’t mean the Steelers can’t beat the Packers next Sunday but it does mean their chances of doing so have diminished.

The Steelers have overcome injuries in the past. Most recently, of course, they have barely missed a beat when starting left tackle Max Starks went down for the season and was replaced by Jonathan Scott, a player who wasn’t good enough to start for the Buffalo Bills.

Historically, and I’m relying strictly on memory here, the Steelers played Super Bowl XIV without linebacker Jack Ham, a Hall of Fame player, and safety Mike Wagner but defeated the Los Angeles Rams.

So the precedent is there.

But that doesn’t change the fact the Steelers are a lesser team with Legursky replacing Pouncey.

NFL expert Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. has significant concerns about Legursky. He wrote, ``The Steelers like his [Legursky’s] movement skills enough to sometimes line him up in the backfield in short-yardage situations. Still, they should be praying for Pouncey to play.’’

Asked specifically to compare the two players, Williamson said,
    ``[Legursky is] nowhere near the physical specimen that Pouncey is. If you look at Legursky, he's very undersized, he has short arms, but he's tough and he's gritty. But Pouncey still plays lower, is always in tremendous balance and football position, and he's fluid. Pouncey is the total specimen in terms of pulling and doing all the athletic things a center can do. Legursky is not as strong and doesn't do anything as well. It's not even close.’’

Although the Steelers scored all their points against the Jets with Legursky on the field, Williamson was not impressed.

``I went back and watched the game, and I really didn't think Legursky played that well. It was masked early on. When he came in there, they were running the ball and the Steelers had a lot of momentum. Legursky didn't play poorly initially when he went into the game. But if you look at his performance from when he stepped into the game to the final whistle, he played a bad game.

``I don't think it was an accident that the Steelers' running game fell apart in the second half and got all of their yards early.’’

Legursky will be up against one of the best nose tackles in the NFL in the Packers B. J. Raji.

Concerning Raji, Williamson said, ``He's a lot more like Haloti Ngata [of the Baltimore Ravens] than he is Casey Hampton. Raji moves very, very well. He's very explosive. What's amazing about Raji is he plays every snap and doesn't get tired even though he's 40 pounds overweight or whatever it is. He can shoot gaps and eat up space. He really has it all. The difference between Raji and Ngata to me is Ngata is a bigger looking human being and he's not nearly as fat. I think Ngata also knows the game better. But Raji isn't far off. He's a really disruptive player.''

Legursky will be a man on the spot if he starts in place of Pouncey in the Super Bowl. He faces an overwhelming but not insurrmountable challenge.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...e-huge-setback

Threads : 183

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    I'll be shocked if he plays. But Pouncey seems to really want to play, a great attitude on that kid, so I guess anything is possible until it's official. It'll really suck for him not to play if he can't after what he's accomplished this year. Basically anchoring that line as a rookie.

Let's not forget that Mendy got most of his yards with Legursky in the game against the Jets. I have faith in Legs getting the job done. They'll have time to work on those snaps.
    are you sure about that. mendy got most of his yards with DL in the game?
    I'm not so sure about that...1st drive was mostly running right.
    Maybe I"m forgetting but that doesn't sound right what you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by steel0710 View Post
    No, it's correct. Mendy had almost 100 yards rushing after Pouncey was hurt. He had about 28 on the 1st drive.

Legursky isn't super talented but I like what I've seen from him when he's been given a chance to actually play. When he filled in for Essex I thought he should've been named the starter the rest of the year at RG. Coaching staff I guess felt differently. Arians said something like "he just keeps coming back right when you think he should be off the team" "He's got real short arms". What a dip****.

Quote Originally Posted by steel0710 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    No, it's correct. Mendy had almost 100 yards rushing after Pouncey was hurt. He had about 28 on the 1st drive.

Legursky isn't super talented but I like what I've seen from him when he's been given a chance to actually play. When he filled in for Essex I thought he should've been named the starter the rest of the year at RG. Coaching staff I guess felt differently. Arians said something like "he just keeps coming back right when you think he should be off the team" "He's got real short arms". What a dip****.
    Every scout and knock on Legusrky has said he has short arms. The same scouts/experts that talked up Pouncey said Legursky had short arms. Call them all dip****s. That would be fair.

IT's true though. I mentioned it before, but Pouncey came out before we even scored our 1st Touchdown. Mendenhall only had 27 yards rushing (team had 33 when you add in a Redman run). Everything else on the ground was with Legusrky in at Center. I don't know how some of these sports analysts can try and say that Legursky didn't look good in the Jets game when most of our rushing attack by Mendenhall was on the back of Legursky playing center

Report: Ankle will keep Steelers' Pouncey out of Super BowlNFL.com Wire Reports
    Published: Jan. 30, 2011 at 03:55 p.m. Updated: Jan. 30, 2011 at 04:39 p.m. Liked: 4 | Comments: 112 Email Like Print Read Discuss

Friend(s) Email

Your Email
    Send Email By NFL.com Wire Reports
    More Columns >
    The Pittsburgh Steelers won't have rookie center Maurkice Pouncey in Super Bowl XLV next weekend because of a broken bone and a high sprain in his left ankle, ESPN reported Sunday, citing a league source.

Super Bowl XLV: Steelers vs. Packers
    Sunday, Feb. 6, 6 p.m. ET (FOX)

Super Bowl coverage:
    » Super Debate: Greatest Super Bowl ever?
    » Carucci: Teams that took chances for glory
    » Player legacies built on Super Bowl efforts

Video:
    » Super Bowl XLV preview
    » Playbook: Rodgers vs. Steelers' D
    » On Hulu.com: NFL Films' Super Bowl highlights

NFLShop.com:
    » Conference championship gear: Steelers | Packers
    » Buy the Super Bowl XLV program

Tweet #SB45:
    » Steelers-Packers matchup | Map | @NFL

The Steelers are scheduled to arrive in Dallas on Monday, then continue preparations for the Feb. 6 game against the Green Bay Packers.

Steelers left guard Chris Kemoeatu said Wednesday that Pouncey, who wore a hard cast over his injured ankle, wouldn't play, but he backtracked on those comments the next day. Steelers right tackle Willie Colon also said Wednesday that Pouncey had been ruled out of the game.

The Steelers confirmed Wednesday that X-rays on Pouncey's ankle came back negative, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Thursday that a later examination revealed a broken bone.

With Pouncey out, second-year pro Doug Legursky would start at center for the Steelers. He replaced Pouncey in the first quarter of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game and made one mistake, botching a center-quarterback exchange that led to a New York Jets safety in the fourth quarter.

"We believe in Doug," Kemoeatu said Wednesday. "Obviously, Doug stepped up huge when Maurkice got hurt last week."

Colon concurred, saying: "We got a lot of trust in Doug Legursky. We know he's going to step in and do a great job."

Pouncey had to be helped off the field against the Jets after linebacker Bryan Thomas was pushed back into him. Thomas rolled over the back of Pouncey's leg on a 7-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Hines Ward.

Pouncey didn't put weight on the ankle as he hopped off the field with the aid of two trainers. He later was carted to the locker room, where CBS cameras showed him walking with the aid of crutches.

Pouncey, a first-round draft pick out of Florida, hasn't missed a game all season and received Pro Bowl honors for his solid play with the AFC North champions. He vowed after the Jets game that he would play in the Super Bowl.
    http://http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/...e=HP_headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Every scout and knock on Legusrky has said he has short arms. The same scouts/experts that talked up Pouncey said Legursky had short arms. Call them all dip****s. That would be fair.
    I'm pretty sure Arians was saying this stuff this year while Legs was stepping in for Essex AND outplaying him. What's the point of saying those things this year? And then it's back to the bench while Essex, for reasons unknown, is back in the lineup. Oh that's right, Legursky has short arms so regardless of performance it's back to the bench!

And we wonder why the O-line isn't better than it is. Still not playing bad, to be fair, but obviously room for improvement.

Steelers' line laughing all the way to Super Bowl

The Associated Press
    Sunday, January 30, 2011

PITTSBURGH -- Some of Ben Roethlisberger's first words after winning his most recent Super Bowl with the Pittsburgh Steelers were to pay tribute to his offensive line.

"Who's laughing now, O-line?" Roethlisberger proudly exclaimed two years ago.

Big Ben has kept a tight relationship with his linemen over the years, even though the unit was maligned during the 2008 season. There have been similar whispers throughout this season, but here Pittsburgh is again, preparing to play the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.

Only one starter will be the same from that win over Arizona two years ago. Both starting tackles have gone down this season and guys with a combined three starts have locked down center and right guard. Still, the Steelers' linemen are laughing all the way to Cowboys Stadium.

"Just the way this group's all come together and bought into our philosophy since the beginning of training camp, it's nice to now see all that hard work pay off," said Max Starks, who began the season at left tackle but sustained a season-ending neck injury Nov. 8.

Starks joined right tackle Willie Colon on injured reserve. Colon injured his right Achilles' tendon while working out in June and missed the season.

Maurkice Pouncey entered the season with credentials as a first-round pick out of Florida, but was only a rookie. At right guard, Ramon Foster took over at midseason after being an undrafted free agent in 2009 with only three previous starts as an injury replacement.

Inactive for four of the season's first eight games, Foster beat out Trai Essex on the depth chart after Essex - an off-and-on starter at guard and tackle over his six years with the Steelers - was benched.

Signed as a free agent over the offseason from Buffalo, Jonathan Scott started the final eight games at left tackle. Veteran Flozell Adams was signed on the eve of training camp, and the 13-year veteran has been one of the few constants after having been plugged in at right tackle.

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu is the only leftover from the '08 team. He started 15 games this season, missing one with a knee injury.

Throw in a new offensive line coach this season in Sean Kugler after Larry Zierlein was let go, only added to the constant state of change.

"It seems like we've had significant change on the offensive line every time we've been to the Super Bowl," Starks said. "I wouldn't say that this season was the wildest ride of them all, but I'd say it's been the most exciting."

Maybe that's because the group overcame so much to help Pittsburgh get this far. The Steelers ranked 12th in the NFL in total offense - in the top half of both rushing and passing offense - and 11th in the league in yards per play (5.6).

This despite the fact that only one player made it through the season as the starter who also started the prior season. Three players started at times at right guard and two each at left guard and left tackle. Essex, Foster and Doug Legursky have seen action at multiple positions - sometimes over the course of the same game.

"All of us have the same principles and the same philosophy," Starks said. "The biggest thing is no matter who you plug in, as long as your guys are consistent to the philosophy of our offense, any running back can be successful."

Luckily for the Steelers, they also have Roethlisberger.

He's one of the top quarterbacks in the league at eluding pass rushers, breaking out of potential sacks and extending plays.

That can help hide the ills of sub-par line play.

"He's a fighter, and that type of tenacity from an offensive line standpoint, he kind of embodies that as well as a quarterback," Scott said. "You'll definitely go out there and lay your body out for him."

The Steelers might face their biggest challenge in terms of offensive line continuity at the Super Bowl, with the status of the unit's lone Pro Bowler in doubt. Pouncey left the AFC championship game during the opening drive with a sprained left ankle.

Pouncey did not practice all last week and was spotted at the team's practice facility with a cast on. Although he is listed as questionable, there is a possibility that he'll miss the game.

If he doesn't, Legursky - undrafted in 2008 - will make his first career start at center during the Super Bowl. Legursky has played elsewhere on the line during his brief career, plus stints at tight end and at fullback. But his lone experience as a starter is a four-game stint early this season at right guard.

"We have a lot of confidence in Doug Legursky," Foster said. "He's one of those guys who's very smart. He prepares just like Maurkice does during the week, so there was no nervousness going on as far as when he came in there."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...003484_pf.html

Threads : 413

As long as he and Ben practice snaps this week, I'm sure we'll be fine. Hard to replace Pouncey, but we've been seeing others step up all year on both sides of the ball.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Legursky is Steelers' new man in the middle

AP photo / Keith Srakocic

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger lines up behind center Doug Legursky during a game this season against Oakland. Legursky, who went undrafted out of Marshall in 2008, will make his first start at center Sunday as a result of an injury to Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey.

The Steelers are a rock, changing coaches and players roughly as frequently as the men on Mount Rushmore change expressions.

A crack in the middle, though, could weigh heavily on Pittsburgh’s chances against Green Bay in Super Bowl XLV.

One play after Maurkice Pouncey left the AFC title game with a nasty ankle injury, Doug Legursky replaced him at center, and Rashard Mendenhall scored on a one-yard run.

Running an offense for an entire Super Bowl behind Legursky might be complicated.

Pouncey came through big-time as a rookie No. 18 overall pick. He started all 16 games and played so well, that he was named to the Pro Bowl, ahead of Cleveland’s Alex Mack.

The replacement, Legursky, was undrafted out of Marshall in 2008.

As the probable starting Super Bowl center, Legursky will get his 15 minutes of fame.

He will be asked a hundred times to go over how it was that he was born in Frankfurt, Germany, and why John Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men” is his favorite book.

But can he read a Green Bay defense coordinated by old fox Dom Capers? He has started just four NFL games, all at right guard as an injury replacement early in the 2010 season — one start was in a 28-10 win over Cleveland.

Browns President Mike Holmgren wasn’t talking about Legursky in particular but alluded to replacement linemen in general this week.

“It’s hard,” Holmgren said. “I don’t care who you are ... Favre, Joe Montana ... Tom Brady ... whoever. They can tell you until they’re blue in the face that they’re not even aware of who’s playing. That’s baloney. They know who’s playing up front.”

Legursky spent two years not doing much of anything. He didn’t play at all as a 2008 rookie. He was active for eight games in 2009, with no starts.

Legursky’s first NFL start at center will be in Super Bowl XLV. What does Ben Roethlisberger tell him? Just act normal, kid?

Legursky will have to fend off massive Green Bay nose tackle B.J. Raji. Kent State fans remember Raji from a game in Browns Stadium when he played for Boston College and spent the night chasing — sometimes comically — quick little quarterback Julian Edelman.

The Steelers spent a No. 18 overall draft pick on Pouncey to solve problems such as Raji, a No. 9 overall pick in ’09. The Browns applied the same thinking twice to acquiring centers.

In 2006, then-general manager Phil Savage paid a ransom to center LeCharles Bentley, hoping he would be an answer to Steelers nose man Casey Hampton. In 2009, Eric Mangini spent a No. 21 pick on Mack, with Hampton and Baltimore tackle Haloti Ngata in mind.

Pittsburgh has a history of impeccable play at center. Hall of Famer Mike Webster played the position during the Steelers’ dynasty decade of the 1970s.

During a 1990s resurgence under head coach Bill Cowher, Dermontti Dawson — a finalist in the Hall of Fame election set for Saturday — handled the snaps.

Legursky would be the third starting center within the last three Steelers Super Bowls. Jeff Hartings started for the 2005-06 Super Bowl team. Justin Hartwig was the man in the 2008-09 Super Bowl.

Hartings and Hartwig were veterans. Like almost every NFL backup, Legursky enjoyed big success at other levels.

As a high school kid, he was a West Virginia lineman of the year. At Marshall, he started at center for three years and was a Conference USA all-star.

He owns a few West Virginia age-group state power-lifting records. The heavy lifting he must do against Raji, however, could be a whole new ballgame.

OSU-MICHIGAN BOWL

Three former Ohio State players from Green Bay hope for a super-sad Sunday for three former Michigan players on the Steelers’ roster in Super Bowl XLV.

The Buckeyes-turned-Packers are linebackers A.J. Hawk and Matt Wilhelm and defensive lineman Ryan Pickett. The Wolverines-turned-Steelers are linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Larry Foote and Ryan Mundy, a safety who is on injured reserve.

Hawk has been an iron man for the Packers, never missing a game since arriving as a No. 5 overall draft pick in 2006. He made five solo tackles against the Bears the Sunday’s NFC title game.

Wilhelm, who will turn 30 Wednesday, was a senior on Ohio State’s 2002 national title team. He was cut by the 49ers on Sept. 3 but caught a nice break when the Packers signed him Oct. 26. He has appeared in all three postseason games as a backup.

Pickett, 31, has been one of the more productive off-the-radar Ohio State alums. He is one of the last vestiges of the John Cooper era at Ohio State, in terms of guys still playing.

The 6-foot-2, 340-pounder plugs the run and has started all three postseason games. He has played in 160 games in 10 years, including 12 in the postseason.

Meanwhile, the Packers also have one Michigan guy, cornerback Charles Woodson. The Steelers carry one Ohio State guy, safety Will Allen.

Dick LeBeau, Pittsburgh’s defensive coordinator, played on Ohio State’s 1957 national championship team.

WALLACE IN WAITING

Before the Browns faced the Steelers on Jan. 2, Eric Mangini called wideout Mike Wallace “a home run waiting to happen on any play.”

The 24-year-old speedster then caught three passes for 105 yards at Browns Stadium. One went for a 56-yard touchdown.

Wallace caught 10 touchdown passes in the regular season but has struck out so far in the postseason. He made three catches for just 20 yards against Baltimore and caught one ball for six yards against the Jets.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x114...-in-the-middle

Updated: January 31, 2011, 3:35 PM ET

Maurkice Pouncey not ruled out yet

ESPN.com news services

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is not ruling out Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey for Super Bowl XLV despite the rookie walking on crutches because of a high ankle sprain.

A league source has told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Pouncey will not play against the Green Bay Packers.

Pouncey injured his left ankle in the Steelers' victory over the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game last Sunday. He did not practice last week, and Tomlin said Monday the team is being "very aggressive" with Pouncey's rehabilitation. He adds that Pouncey is "not on a running clock" until Wednesday -- the team's first practice before the Super Bowl on Sunday.

According to media reports, Pouncey also has a broken bone in the ankle -- with Tomlin saying he's "sure it could be characterized as that."

Backup Doug Legursky would fill in for Pouncey if necessary.

If Pouncey cannot play, Legursky will be asked to help defend, among others, Green Bay's 337-pound nose tackle B.J. Raji, who in the NFC Championship Game became the heaviest player in postseason history to score a touchdown when he intercepted a pass from Bears quarterback Caleb Hanie and returned it for a score.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=6077337

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information