Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Commish talks about Ben

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Commish talks about Ben

A friend sends me this email this morning, "they look at this quote from Goodell." And I guess this came from an interview peter king had with goodell.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-314667

"The one thing I take a little bit of issue with is when guys tell me they're being screwed,'' Goodell said. "[Most often] they're not recognizing they have a role in it.'' Regarding Roethlisberger, Goodell said when he was investigating what to do with the quarterback, he talked to "I bet two dozen [Steeler] players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense.

Here is a previously unreleased converstion with one of the Steelers goodell spoke to:

Goodell: James Harrison, well it’s great to talk to you again. Look, no hard feelings over all those fines, OK. I’m just flexing my commissioner muscle, so to speak, and you know all about muscle, huh James? Ha ha!
    Harrison: Yeah right, commish.
    Goodell: Please, call me Mr. Goodell. Now, the reason I called you was about your good friend Ben. What a shame all that nasty stuff in Georgia, don’t really like the state…I try to stay in New York as much as possible. Anyway, would you defend his actions in that crummy college bar?
    Harrison: Well, no, but……………
    Goodell: Say no more James, I know just how you feel! Hey nice talking to you, stay out of trouble, remember I’ll be watching! Thanks again for your input!........CLICK!
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 6
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Commish talks about Ben

Screw Goodell. Why is this being released this week? Screw Peter King too. He sure has a way of twisting facts to get the effect he wants. When we win this Sunday I hope no one goes up on stage till Roger leaves.

Threads : 188

Quote Originally Posted by CamoSteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When we win this Sunday I hope no one goes up on stage till Roger leaves.
    THAT would be awesome!
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 440

Teammates wouldn’t go to bat for Roethlisberger with Goodell

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 31, 2011

Ben Roethlisberger may win his third Super Bowl with the Steelers on Sunday — and perhaps his first with teammates who actually like him.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated writes in today’s Monday Morning Quarterback column that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told him he talked to two dozen Steelers while he was deciding how to punish Roethlisberger at the beginning of this season, and to a man, Roethlisberger’s teammates declined to say anything supportive of their quarterback.

“Not one, not a single player, went to his defense,” Goodell told King. “It wasn’t personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, ‘He won’t sign my jersey.’ ”

Goodell also told King he “doesn’t feel any connection” with Roethlisberger.

From all indications, however, Roethlisberger has made a concerted effort to change his ways since returning from his four-game suspension at the start of the 2010 season — and has started to earn the respect of teammates who, six months ago, weren’t prepared to speak to the commissioner on his behalf.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry/rumor-mill/

Threads : 1817

**** Roger Goodell. That dickbag is supposed to be the commish not the guy that tries to cause dissention in a locker room and drama but this useless **** of a commish is doing just that. Peter King reports stuff. That's his job. Accurate or full of context or not, King, reporters, alalysts, their job is to put in print or radio or tv information and Goodell knows this. By saying this **** to King he knows it's going to come back out into the media spotlight.

I'd love for the Steelers to win the Super Bowl and when they see Goodell, get the trophy and then flip him the bird.

**** this ******bag
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 440

Advice for Ben: Just shut up!

MONDAY, JANUARY 31, 2011 06:00 AM WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

Ben Roethlisberger has been the recipient of the best public-relations advice money can buy in the largely successful effort to remake his image following the gigantic hit it took about 11 months ago.

So Roethlisberger, who won a media award as the most cooperative Steelers player, doesn’t need my advice as he gets ready to handle the media hordes at the Super Bowl. These writers and broadcasters will want to look under every rock in his life. They'll want to psychoanalyze him in public and on a daily basis.

They’re only doing their jobs and the public that scorns them for asking tough questions would love to know the answers.

It’s about those answers that I have some free advice for Roethlisberger:

Don’t say a word, Ben. Give them nothing.

And this from a guy who'd love to know what's under some of those rocks.

There is nothing to be gained for Roethlisberger by baring his soul. I’ve seen guys do it, although on less sensitive issues, at these events and it can not only make for a good story, it can actually help the person doing the opening up.

It doesn’t matter. Again, Ben, just shut up.

Oh, answer the questions about the game and all of the silly stuff that will be thrown your way and do it with a smile. But when they want to talk about the past, you need to be Mark McGwire.

It didn’t work for him but it will work for you. You’ve got a football game to play and a life to live. A public catharsis is not for you.

Roethlisberger will be the star of every media session he attends. He won’t have a table on the side. He’ll have a podium in the middle of the room. He won’t be one of 47 Steelers being interviewed. He’ll be one of one.

Paul Domowitch, an excellent pro football writer for the Philadelphia Daily News, set the scene in a column he wrote last week about what Roethlisberger will face.

``At every single one of those four sessions next week, including Tuesday's Media Day zoo at Cowboys Stadium, Roethlisberger is going to be asked about what happened last March in Milledgeville, Ga., when he was accused of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old college student in the bathroom of a bar.

``And he's going to be asked about the four-game suspension he served at the beginning of the season for violating the league's personal-conduct policy after the league did its own investigation of the incident after law enforcement declined to prosecute.

``It would be nice if Roethlisberger took the same approach as Michael Vick and opened up about the mistakes he's made and how he has changed and matured.’’

It would be nice for the media if Roethlisberger took the Vick approach but not for Roethlisberger. Vick was charged and convicted of a crime and had something for which he could repent.

As we all know, Roethlisberger was not charged. He was suspended by the NFL for poor behavior and has made his apologies for that. There’s a world of difference between Vick and Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger got a hint of what’s in store for him at the Super Bowl before and after the AFC title game. At a conference call before the game, he was asked about the past:

His answer: "Right now, it's not about living in the past for me. It's about living in the here and now.''

After the game, he was asked whether he looked back on the off-season. Before the question was finished, Roethlisberger provided an answer. ``I don’t. I’ll stop you now. I don’t. Not at all.’’

Like I said, Ben has the best advice money can buy and has learned well.

But just in case, here's some more free advice, Ben: Just shut up.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...n-just-shut-up

Threads : 26

Quote Originally Posted by Hambert5958 View Post
    Goodell said when he was investigating what to do with the quarterback, he talked to "I bet two dozen [Steeler] players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense.
    1) I'd like to know the questions and what EXACTLY was discussed.
    2)Why is this particular bit of information coming out in Super Bowl Week?
    roger,with all due respect

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didnt think I could hate this guy anymore but I do today.

Threads : 3

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    “Not one, not a single player, went to his defense,” Goodell told King. “It wasn’t personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, ‘He won’t sign my jersey.’ ”

Don't be to hasty to dismiss this. This is exactly what Hines Ward complained about the last two years when asked about his relationship with Big Ben. Of course there were a lot of teammates who took offense to his attitude. What is happening is that a lot of these posts on this string are assuming this was last week! This was BEFORE he came back and if you remember, Goodell was quick to say after he lightened the suspension to 4 games that Big Ben INDEED had changed his ways. If you listen to him (Big Ben) speak now, I don't detect any of the old "me, me, me" anymore. Personally I don't think this is such a big deal. But then again he has never snubbed me!

Threads : 413

Well a friend of mine went to an afterparty at a club in Pgh following the Jets game. A bunch of Steelers were there including Harrison. My friend asked him about his opinion of GODdell and James did not have nice things to say, so all the crap we heard about his appeals interviews and such are probably all BS.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
    Don't be to hasty to dismiss this. This is exactly what Hines Ward complained about the last two years when asked about his relationship with Big Ben. Of course there were a lot of teammates who took offense to his attitude. What is happening is that a lot of these posts on this string are assuming this was last week! This was BEFORE he came back and if you remember, Goodell was quick to say after he lightened the suspension to 4 games that Big Ben INDEED had changed his ways. If you listen to him (Big Ben) speak now, I don't detect any of the old "me, me, me" anymore. Personally I don't think this is such a big deal. But then again he has never snubbed me!
    It doesn't matter when this came out. What matters is that Goodell told this information to a media figure and when you do that you do it knowing that it will come out not the public. That's how it works and that is part of Goodell's job even more than any player since Goodell represents the league and is supposed to be the model and example. This was a **** poor decision by Goodell, a poor example of leadership and leading by an example.

I don't blame Peter King. He's doing what he's supposed to it whether we like it or not and Goodell supplied King whether it was months ago or this past week with something that King could go public with and knowing King could before and afterwards.

Roger Goodell IMO can't demand layers and others to act in a certain way when he can't even conduct himself properly. He shouldn't be releasing information that will stir the pot. He's the commisioner not an employee at TMZ. Not some "inside informant".

Completely unacceptable by Goodell. ******bag needed fired yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Well a friend of mine went to an afterparty at a club in Pgh following the Jets game. A bunch of Steelers were there including Harrison. My friend asked him about his opinion of GODdell and James did not have nice things to say, so all the crap we heard about his appeals interviews and such are probably all BS.
    I can guarantee you that nobody probably has anything nice to say about Goodell on the Steelers roster. I hope that everything that's gone on this season and such takes this "news" and the players can use this as bulletin board info. Weird stuff ignites players

Threads : 691

The only connection Goodell feels is Robert Kraft's dick in his mouth.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

... Goodell is a tool....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... Goodell is a tool....
    In all likelihood, you are right, but, more importantly, it's obvious he doesn't he doesn't HAVE one. Dickless *****.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information