Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

      
  1. #1
    JerryGlanville's Avatar
    Status : JerryGlanville is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Posts : 2,786
    Threads : 49
    Last Online : Sep-12-2014 @ 03:43 PM

    Default Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    It's pretty bad when actual sports sites aren't calling it like it is but here's a good article on Yahoo about Goodell's comments.

    DALLAS – For months now Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers have been working to put the past in the past. They’ve attempted to flip the script on that drunken night in Milledgeville, Ga. and make something good come out of what, at the very best, was a series of poor and classless decisions by their star quarterback.

    Roethlisberger has been more open with fans. He’s been more polite with the media. He’s gotten engaged to be married and, it’s been said, has become more of a homebody. His teammates, coaches and the organization as a whole have welcomed him back into the fold. It’s one reason the Steelers are playing Green Bay in Sunday’s Super Bowl.

    “He came back, he’s a changed man and he’s playing good football,” receiver Hines Ward(notes) said, summing it up after the AFC championship game.

    Super Bowl media day is Tuesday and amid that feeding frenzy Roethlisberger was sure to face some pressure about the mistakes of last summer and beyond.

    And that was before Roger Goodell foolishly went and breathed new life into the old story.

    For reasons Goodell needs to explain, the NFL commissioner commented to Sports Illustrated’s Peter King about investigating Roethlisberger last offseason, a process that resulted in a six-game suspension (reduced to four).

    King released an excerpt of Goodell’s comments (more to appear in this week’s magazine) that painted Roethlisberger as an ostracized member of the Steelers and, more importantly, threw nearly two dozen of his teammates under the bus.

    “I bet two dozen [Steeler] players … Not one, not a single player, went to his defense. It wasn’t personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, ‘He won’t sign my jersey.’ ”

    This isn’t a defense (or a condemnation) of Roethlisberger’s actions. The comment isn’t, in and of itself, a bombshell. It was completely unnecessary though, especially coming from the commissioner. And it was patently unfair for the other Steeler players who cooperated in the investigation into their quarterback.

    At Monday’s media session, there was confusion and rebuttals to Goodell’s comments, with Roethlisberger saying he knows – “for a fact” – some teammates did support him. Some of the Steelers agreed. Of course, at this point, what else could they say?

    “I’ve always had Ben’s back,” defensive end Brett Keisel(notes) said. “Ben and I have a very good relationship. I think everyone was behind Ben all along.”

    So now someone isn’t telling the truth.

    This is why the subject never should’ve been broached. Nothing good could come of it. [HIGH-LIGHT]Simply put, why would the commissioner of the NFL reveal any inside details of what was supposed to be a closed-door investigation?[/HIGH-LIGHT]

    Why have Roethlisberger now understand that a bunch of his teammates – and he can assuredly figure out who did and didn’t speak to Goodell – were crushing him, potentially behind his back? And why betray those guys, who certainly didn’t think their honest cooperation would one day become a Super Bowl week mini-controversy?

    Most of all, why bring up something that’s negative for the Steelers, Roethlisberger or the NFL?

    [HIGH-LIGHT]Goodell’s comments carry no positive information or spin. They do nothing for anyone. At best, it’s an annoying line of questioning that the Steelers are capable of compartmentalizing and ignoring. At worst, it’s an unneeded distraction that only regains steam when the rest of the story is printed in SI later in the week.
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]
    The NFL symbol is a shield and the commissioner is the person who’s supposed to carry it.

    [HIGH-LIGHT]It’s the basis, Goodell says, for the suspensions he’s handed out to Roethlisberger and others. The quarterback was never charged with a crime in Georgia. The police’s detailed report of his boorish behavior was enough to cost him a month of the season anyway, a pretty severe penalty.
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Goodell appears to thrive in the role of judge, jury and executioner. He comes across as very comfortable as the purveyor of justice.[HIGH-LIGHT] His predecessors in the commissioner’s office were never so iron-fisted when it came to player conduct[/HIGH-LIGHT]. The public has backed his authority, in part because it has little sympathy for things like millionaire quarterbacks and drunken 20-year-old coeds in bodyguard-protected bathrooms of dive bars.

    But with the authority that Goodell has seized comes a responsibility to put his employees in the most positive light possible. Everyone else can debate the merits of Ben Roethlisberger this week. Goodell should be pushing the spotlight onto something else. He can’t be preening around and talking it over with reporters.

    That’s not how the disciplinary system has been sold to the players.

    If he’s going to ask for teammates to participate in investigations, he can’t go defying that trust by passing along what they said. Things are either anonymous or not, you can’t be a little bit pregnant on that.

    No, Goodell didn’t name names. He didn’t need to. By saying everyone he spoke with killed Roethlisberger behind his back then every Steeler that Goodell spoke with is implicated. Goodell ratted them all out.

    That isn’t fair to them.

    Maybe Roethlisberger cares. Maybe he doesn’t. Maybe the Steelers care. Maybe they don’t. Maybe there are hurt feelings and suspicious glances. Maybe not.

    We’re unlikely to know for sure because the Steelers are sure to get together in advance of media day and agree to do the one thing Roger Goodell should have been smart enough to do himself.

    Not say a meaningful word about it.

    ------------------------

    The new story is Goodell wasn't interviewing Steeler players but NFL players from other teams. Who cares? It just makes Goodell look even more incompetent (why are you interviewing players from other teams and asking them about Ben??).
    Last edited by JerryGlanville; Feb-01-2011 at 12:51 AM.

  2. #2
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Not exactly on topic, but it relates to that ******bag GODell. Were any fines dished out in any of the playoff games for illegal hits? Specifically, how about the hit on Sanders in the Jets game that got a personal foul for a hit on an unprotected receiver?

    Or was all the bull**** during the season merely a means of getting the commish a salary during the lockout when he so admirably stated he would reduce his salary to $1.

    POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

  3. #3
    cocktailsfor2's Avatar
    Status : cocktailsfor2 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 23, 2009
    Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Posts : 1,233
    Threads : 72
    Last Online : Apr-03-2017 @ 03:32 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Peter King and SI are just as culpable as the Commish** for choosing to report it in the first place, timing it as they did, and reporting it WRONG, which led to King's mealy-mouth "retraction."

    Sensationalism at it's finest. Integrity at it's lowest.

    **This does not absolve Goodell from being a gigantic dickweed in the first place.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

  4. #4
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Quote Originally Posted by cocktailsfor2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter King and SI are just as culpable as the Commish** for choosing to report it in the first place, timing it as they did, and reporting it WRONG, which led to King's mealy-mouth "retraction."

    Sensationalism at it's finest. Integrity at it's lowest.

    **This does not absolve Goodell from being a gigantic dickweed in the first place.
    Eh... I disagree. I'd have to read what King's response is but I don't blame him. This is what his job is, whether we like it or not. His job is to report information. That's what this is. This is news. It's Goodell's job to not present this information to the media. He KNEW that by doing this the story was gong to get out. You don't tell Peter King something unless you want it released to the public. That's what Peter King is paid to do.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  5. #5
    Lloyd Harrison's Avatar
    Status : Lloyd Harrison is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Jan 16, 2011
    Location : Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts : 351
    Threads : 16
    Last Online : Oct-03-2012 @ 10:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh... I disagree. I'd have to read what King's response is but I don't blame him. This is what his job is, whether we like it or not. His job is to report information. That's what this is. This is news. It's Goodell's job to not present this information to the media. He KNEW that by doing this the story was gong to get out. You don't tell Peter King something unless you want it released to the public. That's what Peter King is paid to do.
    I have to disagree with you Kipper. Goodell never said 2 dozen Steelers players. He said 2 dozen players. It was a HUGE assumption by Peter King to put (Steelers) players into the equation. King stretched the truth, knowingly in my opinion, in order to sensationalize his article. People in the media in this country need to start being held accountable for what they put out there as fact.

    Im not absolving Goodell here. I cant believe the commissioner of the biggest league in the world would comment on something like this before the leagues championship game. The guy is flat out horrible at his job. Does anyone think Paul Tagliabue or Pete Rozell would do such a thing?

  6. #6
    The Sodfather's Avatar
    Status : The Sodfather is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Dec 10, 2009
    Posts : 1,431
    Threads : 29
    Last Online : Apr-26-2012 @ 03:04 PM

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    I just do not understand why he would ask 24 players from other teams about Ben?

    WTF does Carson Palmer or Ed Reed's opinion of Ben have to do with anything?

  7. #7
    Lloyd Harrison's Avatar
    Status : Lloyd Harrison is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Jan 16, 2011
    Location : Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts : 351
    Threads : 16
    Last Online : Oct-03-2012 @ 10:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just do not understand why he would ask 24 players from other teams about Ben?

    WTF does Carson Palmer or Ed Reed's opinion of Ben have to do with anything?
    Agreed, and Ill go even further. Why would any player from another NFL team say anything good about Ben? Dosent it benefit all other 31 teams if Ben sits for 6 games?

  8. #8
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Harrison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to disagree with you Kipper. Goodell never said 2 dozen Steelers players. He said 2 dozen players. It was a HUGE assumption by Peter King to put (Steelers) players into the equation. King stretched the truth, knowingly in my opinion, in order to sensationalize his article. People in the media in this country need to start being held accountable for what they put out there as fact.

    Im not absolving Goodell here. I cant believe the commissioner of the biggest league in the world would comment on something like this before the leagues championship game. The guy is flat out horrible at his job. Does anyone think Paul Tagliabue or Pete Rozell would do such a thing?
    It doesnt matter, the fact is Goodell spouted his big mouth to a media figure on something that was supposed to be a private matter. That's the issue. King's assumption was bad but it was in quotes to display it as not being a definite. That's pretty common knowledge I thought. King shouldn't have done it but he did cover his *** initially. So sure, I agree the media needs held accountable but ultimately here the biggest problem, the main problem is that Roger Goodell was exposing private information to be displayed publically.

    Remember, I hate the media I rag on the edia as hard as the next person but I'm not going to let Goodell not get anything less than 75% of the blame for this and some of the comments in this thread are trying to do just that
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  9. #9
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just do not understand why he would ask 24 players from other teams about Ben?

    WTF does Carson Palmer or Ed Reed's opinion of Ben have to do with anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Harrison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed, and Ill go even further. Why would any player from another NFL team say anything good about Ben? Dosent it benefit all other 31 teams if Ben sits for 6 games?
    Would be a tin foil ha assumption to say that Goodell is full of **** and covering his ***? What if King is right in his assumption and he was right about what Goodell said. The backlash happening causes Goodell to put this response which really does sound like a back peddaling statement. Simple because it makes no sense to ask the Baltimore Ravens what they think about Ben in doing any sort of personal evaluation
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  10. #10
    Lloyd Harrison's Avatar
    Status : Lloyd Harrison is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Jan 16, 2011
    Location : Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts : 351
    Threads : 16
    Last Online : Oct-03-2012 @ 10:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Im not defending Goodell by any means. But Im also not buying your defense that King had the word Steelers in quotation so he is absolved of responsibility. People in this country take what is written as fact, sometimes even when its just opinion. If you think anyone read that article and didnt come away thinking it was 2 dozen Steelers players, simply because the word Steelers was in quotation, your fooling yourself. I place the blame 50 50 and they should both be embarrassed of their collective complete lack of integrity.

  11. #11
    Lloyd Harrison's Avatar
    Status : Lloyd Harrison is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Jan 16, 2011
    Location : Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts : 351
    Threads : 16
    Last Online : Oct-03-2012 @ 10:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    By the way, just looked at the article (Steelers) was in parentheses not quotes. Which in this context would mean inferred and not spoken.

    For instance when Mendenhall was asked about Wards game winning catch Rashard replied

    "He (Ward) made a great break on his route, got open, and made a great play on the ball."

  12. #12
    DrKnow's Avatar
    Status : DrKnow is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Jan 7, 2010
    Posts : 260
    Threads : 70
    Last Online : Oct-13-2011 @ 10:47 AM

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    If I were Peter King I would write the article with the info the egomaniac commish gave him. However King made a foolish assumption about the players being Steelers and not througout the league. Goodell is an imbicile who needs to be held accountable

  13. #13
    steel0710's Avatar
    Status : steel0710 is offline
    Rank : 3rd Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 935
    Threads : 183
    Last Online : Yesterday @ 04:49 PM

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Harrison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to disagree with you Kipper. Goodell never said 2 dozen Steelers players. He said 2 dozen players. It was a HUGE assumption by Peter King to put (Steelers) players into the equation. King stretched the truth, knowingly in my opinion, in order to sensationalize his article. People in the media in this country need to start being held accountable for what they put out there as fact.

    Im not absolving Goodell here. I cant believe the commissioner of the biggest league in the world would comment on something like this before the leagues championship game. The guy is flat out horrible at his job. Does anyone think Paul Tagliabue or Pete Rozell would do such a thing?
    It is going to be very interesting to reflect on this thread after the game. Goodell has put himself into a cowardly corner that is going to be hard to get out of. He has basically lost all integrity with the players of the NFL. I would bet that a lot of players will be thoroughly ****ed at Goodell.

    At the end of the jets game on the podium. Notice how tomlin quickly distanced himself from Nance on the podium when Nance was trying to take control of the interview conversation after the championship game -- its cause tomlin is smart and knew that Nance would try and subject him to some lame questions...I love Tomlin cause he knows a lot about what people are thinking before they even open their mouth! T

  14. #14
    steel0710's Avatar
    Status : steel0710 is offline
    Rank : 3rd Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 935
    Threads : 183
    Last Online : Yesterday @ 04:49 PM

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Harrison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im not defending Goodell by any means. But Im also not buying your defense that King had the word Steelers in quotation so he is absolved of responsibility. People in this country take what is written as fact, sometimes even when its just opinion. If you think anyone read that article and didnt come away thinking it was 2 dozen Steelers players, simply because the word Steelers was in quotation, your fooling yourself. I place the blame 50 50 and they should both be embarrassed of their collective complete lack of integrity.
    agree. Goodell has lost i think a lot of integrity with all the steelers and a lot of other NFL players too. Its obvious to me that the players in the NFL don't really respect Goodell. To me he's a tool as somone else has suggested. I sincerely hope that the steelers win and that Goodell has to hand Mr. Rooney the trophy. Even if that doesn't happen I would hope that roger at least apologies for blabbing his mouth when he should not have.

  15. #15
    bleedBnG58's Avatar
    Status : bleedBnG58 is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Moyock, NC but born in da Burgh
    Posts : 2,372
    Threads : 407
    Last Online : Jan-09-2014 @ 06:49 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Great article on Yahoo calling out Goodell

    IMO..Goodell made the comments...maybe hoping to try to divide the union right before the contract runs out...but to me the real question is why King Dick put some of it out now...only other than to feed his own ego...and then..it backfired on his fat ***. His integrety just got shot to hell as a big time reporter..who doesn't know to ask the right questions first of all....and then to make the mistake of...assumption.....a writers sin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •