Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben's Great? Not Even Close

Threads : 440

Default Big Ben's Great? Not Even Close

Big Ben's Great? Not Even Close

By ComcastSports
    Tue, 01 Feb 2011 05:07:46 GMT
    By Jordan Raanan

Get ready for overhyping and overanalyzing. It's Super Bowl week, in Dallas no less, where even hats go large.

By the time the Big Game rolls around, the impossible will be done. Ben Roethlisberger will be made into Mother Teresa, Ted Thompson into Ron Wolf. Reality will sit about three pegs below all the hubbub we hear and read on television, radio, newspapers and this Internet thing that was just discovered by television, radio and newspapers alike.

So before we get buried by the hyperbole that is Super Bowl week coverage, let’s try and place everything into perspective. To do so, we're going to sprinkle a little truth serum on everything in and around the Super Bowl:

So, let's be honest …

If Pittsburgh handles Green Bay on Sunday, Roethlisberger will join some pretty elite company with his third Super Bowl title. Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Troy Aikman are the only QB's with three or more titles.

Adding Roethlisberger to that list is like putting Vanilla Ice's name next to Tupac, Snoop, Biggie and Jay-Z. He doesn't belong. Big Ben will be a three-time Super Bowl champ and one-time Pro Bowler -- in an era where everyone makes the Pro Bowl.

Despite the ridiculousness that's about to spouted all week, that's not the definition of all-time great. I don't care how many rings he accumulates. In fact, Big Ben's not even going to be the best quarterback on the field Sunday when he meets Aaron Rodgers.

Roethlisberger is pretty darn good; his organization is great. He's a Top 10 quarterback in the NFL today -- not even Top 5 -- who only needs to make a handful of plays per game for his team to win. Fortunately for him, football is a team game where the quarterback gets all the credit (or blame).

This ridiculousness that Roethlisberger is in the same stratosphere as Brady and Peyton Manning? Save it for another sucker. Big Ben played one of the worst Super Bowls of any quarterback in history (22.6 QB rating vs. Seattle) ... and won. He has been blessed to play with the support of a Top 5 scoring defense in five of his seven professional seasons. The two times Pittsburgh didn't finish in the top five, the Steleers missed the playoffs.

If Manning made only a handful of plays per game, Indy would lose most weeks by 20. Ditto a handful of other top QBs (Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Rodgers, Tony Romo) over the past seven seasons.

There isn't a day that goes by that Roethlisberger shouldn't thank his lucky stars that he was drafted by the most stable and successful organization in NFL history. If he were drafted by the Oakland Raiders, he'd be a slightly more successful JaMarcus Russell. Yep, I just said that.

Instead, because he plays on the Steelers, a pretty good NFL quarterback is on the verge of being considered an all-time great.

Please. Think Rivers or McNabb would have won Super Bowls with the Steelers? I do. Romo too. Yep, I just said that too.

I'm not trying to be a Roethlishater. He's a good NFL quarterback. But when people start calling Big Ben great, someone has to bring those people back down to the reality where the rest of us live, breathe and watch football with clear eyes.

Let's be honest ...

The two-week break between Championship Weekend and Super Bowl Sunday is painful. The Pro Bowl completely held us over this past week, like the cashews in a bag of Schwimmer's Health-Glo after a month on one of Survivor's islands.

At least there were three hours of Pro Bowl practices each day on the NFL Network. And a three-hour preview show for the most meaningless football game each year.

Thankfully, Hank Moody was around to satisfy my Sunday night. That man finds more trouble than Charlie Sheen. And I love him dearly for that.

Potpourri

Something tells me Chris Kemoeatu wasn't supposed to tell the world Maurkice Pouncey wasn't going to play in the Super Bowl. But is it surprising coming from a guy who dove into the pile 20 seconds late every other play against the Ravens? … Packers GM Ted Thompson deserves a few apologies. Like from the guy who created this site. Or this site. And this guy who called him an a@@clown on many occasions. The Packers didn't just reach the Bowl. They did it with with seven opening day starters on Injured Reserve and the guy who Thompson chose over Brett Favre at quarterback. Give credit where credit is due. … If the league and networks that broadcast the games want to stop being hypocrites, maybe they shouldn't show slow-motion replays of Rex Ryan slamming his headset and mouthing the most visible F-bomb of all-time. … Rodgers needs a new TD celebration. The championship belt act was fresh back when wrestling was still called WWF. … The players this weekend expressed their desire to keep the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. Um, OK. Who wouldn't want that free trip? Otherwise it's next year in Detroit.

Jordan Raanan has covered the Eagles and NFL since 2005. Follow him on Twitter @JordanRaanan.

http://www.comcast.net/sports/writet...tnotevenclose/

Threads : 413

Default Re: Big Ben's Great? Not Even Close

Yea, Ben sucked in the Cardinal game. Blowhards like this who actually get their crap published.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 197

ProFootballTalk had an article up today that compared Ben's playoff performances to Tom Brady's. The Great Tom Brady's QB rating was a whole 0.3 points higher.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Real shock, The author, Jordan Raanan is a bitter eagles fan

"ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Real shock, The author, Jordan Raanan is a bitter eagles fan
    A bitter Eagles fan? Surely no such creature exists in a city that snowballed Santa. I know, but really...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

As a playoff passer, Ben Roethlisberger is Tom Brady’s equal

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 1, 2011

Fans love to debate which quarterback is the best of them all, which is why a discussion of whether Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is as good Tom Brady and Peyton Manning is our most-commented post of the last week. But when Roethlisberger was asked whether he thinks he’s up there with Brady and Manning, he gave a diplomatic answer.

“It probably depends on who you ask,” Roethlisberger said. “Every analyst and everybody have their opinions and that’s what they’re paid to do. I think they’re the best in the game. . . . I’d put Aaron Rodgers up there.”

Brady’s reputation is built largely on what he’s done in the playoffs, but it’s worth noting that Roethlisberger has comparable numbers to Brady in the postseason.

As I wrote in today’s Wall Street Journal, Brady’s career playoff passer rating is 85.7. Roethlisberger’s is 85.4. They’re basically equals in playoff passing efficiency.

And with a win on Sunday, they’ll also be equals in Super Bowl rings. Considering that Roethlisberger is also five years younger than Brady, it’s easy to envision, when both of their careers are over, Roethlisberger being considered one of the all-time great quarterbacks — and better than Brady.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-bradys-equal/

Threads : 1817

This is one of the worst Articles I've read since some other Philadelphia blow hard that roots for some failure of a team over there tried to talk up something that sucks .... Like a Philadelphia Flyers fan.

That fact that he compares Tony Romo to Ben Roethlisberger is sad. Tomy Romo is a big game choke artist. The Steelers have had great defenses for a long time and didn't win a Superbowl with those great defenses until Ben Roethlisberger was drafted. Neil O'Donnell? Nope. Kordell Stewart? Nope. Mike Tomzcak, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox? Nope.

He mentions Tom Brady and Tom's importance to his team and the New England Patriots without Brady went 11-5 in 2008.

In Tom Brady's first 7 seasons in the NFL he averaged 195 yards per game and Ben averaged 227 yards per game. Brady's numbers didn't start really taking off until the Patriots went completely pass happy and started bringing in top WR talent. This is also at the same time Tom Brady stopped being able to win Superbowls and playoff games. Tom Brady didn't get a passer rating of 100+ on a season until he was given Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth. Ben achieved that twice with lesser talent and behind 2 Offensive Lines that produced just 1 Pro Bowl player (Faneca in 2007).

Brady didn't get the fantasy stats until he was given Pro Bowl talent at WR. The Colts defense usually stinks because they spend all of their money surrounding Peyton Msanning with Pro-Bowl talent and offensive lines. Ben Roethlisberger achieves Top 10 stats with good WR's, loust Offensive Lines half of his career but more importantly with an Offense that doesn't kill the Steelers financially where they are forced to have garbage defenses like the Colts or the Patriots had when Brady started producing fantasy stats. It's why Dan Marino couldn't win a Super Bowl, why the Broncos couldn't win. Lack of balance and spending all of their money and time surrounding the QB with top talent and ignoring every other aspect.

This *** **** spends his time shooting Ben down for the way the way the Pittsburgh Steelers build successful teams and win Super Bowls. Tom Brady was winning 3 superbowls averaging less than 230 yards per game for his career like Ben Roethlisberger. Peyton Manning can't win Playoff games to even get into the Super Bowl. Regular Season stats don't mean **** if you are a constant failure and choke artist in the Playoffs. Peyton Manning has been that over his career, Tom Brady has become this since Belichick killed the Pats identity and forced too much responsibility on Brady and Ben is 10-2.

Ben roethlisberger, when he wins his 3rd Superbowl will be the Top Quarterback in the league. His job has never been to carry the team through the air, his job has been to win games and Ben will be 3-0 in that category. Something no other current NFL QB has right now, not even Brady thanks to the Giants
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Adding Roethlisberger to that list is like putting Vanilla Ice's name next to Tupac, Snoop, Biggie and Jay-Z. He doesn't belong.
    This sentence should automatically discredit this article.
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Feb 01, 2011

Michael Strahan: Pressure is on Steelers, not Packers

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Four days before his team stunned the previously-unbeaten New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, former New York Giants defensive leader Michael Strahan thought the pressure was on the Patriots to complete their perfect season with a Lombardi Trophy.

Those Giants played fast, physical and loose, knowing they had nothing to lose.

Asked Tuesday in his role as a Fox analyst who faced more pressure in Super Bowl XLV, the Pittsburgh Steelers chasing a seventh Lombardi Trophy or the sixth-seeded Green Bay Packers, Strahan didn't hesitate.

"I'll pick Pittsburgh,'' Strahan said. "Because they're going for No. 7 as far as rings. I think Ben Roethlisberger with everything that happened in the offseason with him, this is like a vindication of it, that whole comeback incentive from a very unique situation.''

Strahan referenced Roethlisberger's return from a four-game for violating the league's personal conduct policy after the seventh-year quarterback was accused in March of sexual assault of a 20-year-old Georgia college student. No charges were filed.

"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people who still haven't forgiven, or will forget,'' Strahan said. "We're usually in a situation like this where that great comeback is forgiven. So I think there's a lot more pressure on Pittsburgh than there is on Green Bay.

"Green Bay is a sixth seed that shouldn't be here anyway, kind of like us. Play your best, see what happens, we had nothing to lose and we put it all on the line.''

And the Giants' defensive line took it to Tom Brady and the Patriots in the Giants' 17-14 Super Bowl win after they were empowered by a three-point, Dec. 29 loss in their regular-season finale.

The fifth-seeded Giants had nothing on the line in that game but pride yet their showing against the then 16-0 Patriots emboldened them that they could not only stand toe-to-toe with that season's dominant team, but beat them.

"The greatest thing about that last game was we felt, 'Boy, if that was the best team in the league and we were that close, we must be one of the best teams in the league because we didn't show anything because we were already in the playoffs,''' Strahan said. "If we can be this vanilla and still almost beat the best, undefeated team, we're pretty good.'

"We weren't afraid of Tom Brady and their offense at all."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-not-packers/1

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ben is "clutch"... Period...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 30
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

hawaiinsteeler-please,I love you man,but mercy,please!My blood pressure's not what it used to be-or my sense of calm.I'm trying to avoid p**** o* s*** articles,written by jagoffs with an agenda.Ben needs no defense,no.s and stats-and rings-don't lie.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You got either #1 this person knows nothing about football #2 hates the Steelers or #3 both (Eagles fan)

I love how they always bring up the QB rating in the SB. The other QB was pretty awesome in that one oh wait he wasn't. But did ANYONE watch that playoff run besides the Steelers fans? Apparently not. He is the sole reason they made it to the Super Bowl in the first place. Oh who am I shouting at here. The choir is the only ones listening.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Ben is "clutch"... Period...
    Enough said... next topic!!!
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Which QB would you rather have with game on the line?

NFL.com
    Published: Feb. 1, 2011

Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press
    Ben Roethlisberger has experience bringing his team back in the final moments of a Super Bowl.

DALLAS -- Two minutes to go, down by 6 ... who you got: Ben Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers? With the Super Bowl XLV matchup between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers so evenly matched, it might just come down to such a scenario.

We put the question to our analysts and writers. Here's what they had to say:

Gil Brandt: Rodgers
    I'm going to take Aaron Rodgers. Give me the quarterback who is most likely to escape and make a play when one is needed. Ben Roethlisberger can escape but is not quick. Next to Michael Vick, there's no quicker quarterback with escape skills than Rodgers.

Vic Carucci: Roethlisberger
    Ben Roethlisberger already has delivered in the clutch in a Super Bowl. Also, his game is more conducive to what you want from a quarterback under such circumstances. By nature, he is constantly looking to buy extra time, move around and make the sort of plays that must be made when the pressure -- of the situation and from the opposing defense -- is at its greatest. His mindset is to constantly fight and find a way to win, which is exactly what is needed to be successful in this scenario.

Elliot Harrison: Roethlisberger
    Roethlisberger has shown time and again that he can be a clutch player. I also trust Pittsburgh's defense more, which would make it harder on Rodgers. Both guys are excellent out of the pocket, but Roethlisberger reminds me a little of a young John Elway -- when the play breaks down, he plays his best. A lot of times two-minute situations come down to who can play streetball better, and Roethlisberger is probably the best in the league at that.

Pat Kirwan: Roethlisberger
    This season, Roethlisberger has more experience playing from behind in the fourth quarter, completing 102 of 165 passes with seven touchdowns and three interceptions. Rodgers completed 64 of 103 passes with four TDs and three picks. Rodgers has been impressive in his limited postseason experience, never throwing an interception when losing or in the fourth quarter. Roethlisberger has much more postseason experience and has thrown 10 touchdowns with his team trailing. Roethlisberger's drive to beat the Cardinals in his last Super Bowl appearance gives him a slight edge.

Jason La Canfora: Roethlisberger
    Roethlisberger is one of the greatest playmakers in NFL history. Period. Regardless of position. Third-and-19 against one of the top defenses in the league with the game on the line? No problem. He'll get it done. He has loads of Super Bowl experience and you just can't knock him down when the game is on the line. Rodgers has been one of the best red-zone quarterbacks ever, and can run his tail off, but you have to lean to Roethlisberger's experience, size and strength combination.

Which QB would you rather have with the game on the line?

61%
    Aaron Rodgers
    39%
    Ben Roethlisberger

Total Votes: 1215

Michael Lombardi: Roethlisberger
    Some players shy from pressure, some relish it. Ben Roethlisberger embraces the pressure, doing his best work when the game is in the balance. The two-minute drill is never predictable; when the scripted play breaks down, Roethlisberger is the best, more times than not making something out of nothing. The Steelers believe in their quarterback and they want the ball in his hands when the game is on the line. Just ask the Jets.

Steve Wyche: Roethlisberger
    With two minutes to go and down by a score, it's Ben Roethlisberger all day. I would take Roethlisberger over just about any other quarterback in the NFL, let alone Aaron Rodgers. Roethlisberger's clutch play is why I consider him to be among the best players in the NFL. He might not put up fantasy stats, but he puts up big play after big play for his team in the final seconds. There are a lot of quarterbacks who can throw for 400 yards and three touchdowns a game. Only three -- Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Roethlisberger -- can go 6-of-7 and drive a team 80 yards for a touchdown in the final two minutes without breaking a sweat.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...me-on-the-line

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Feb 01, 2011

Michael Strahan: Pressure is on Steelers, not Packers

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Four days before his team stunned the previously-unbeaten New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, former New York Giants defensive leader Michael Strahan thought the pressure was on the Patriots to complete their perfect season with a Lombardi Trophy.

Those Giants played fast, physical and loose, knowing they had nothing to lose.

Asked Tuesday in his role as a Fox analyst who faced more pressure in Super Bowl XLV, the Pittsburgh Steelers chasing a seventh Lombardi Trophy or the sixth-seeded Green Bay Packers, Strahan didn't hesitate.

"I'll pick Pittsburgh,'' Strahan said. "Because they're going for No. 7 as far as rings. I think Ben Roethlisberger with everything that happened in the offseason with him, this is like a vindication of it, that whole comeback incentive from a very unique situation.''

Strahan referenced Roethlisberger's return from a four-game for violating the league's personal conduct policy after the seventh-year quarterback was accused in March of sexual assault of a 20-year-old Georgia college student. No charges were filed.

"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people who still haven't forgiven, or will forget,'' Strahan said. "We're usually in a situation like this where that great comeback is forgiven. So I think there's a lot more pressure on Pittsburgh than there is on Green Bay.

"Green Bay is a sixth seed that shouldn't be here anyway, kind of like us. Play your best, see what happens, we had nothing to lose and we put it all on the line.''

And the Giants' defensive line took it to Tom Brady and the Patriots in the Giants' 17-14 Super Bowl win after they were empowered by a three-point, Dec. 29 loss in their regular-season finale.

The fifth-seeded Giants had nothing on the line in that game but pride yet their showing against the then 16-0 Patriots emboldened them that they could not only stand toe-to-toe with that season's dominant team, but beat them.

"The greatest thing about that last game was we felt, 'Boy, if that was the best team in the league and we were that close, we must be one of the best teams in the league because we didn't show anything because we were already in the playoffs,''' Strahan said. "If we can be this vanilla and still almost beat the best, undefeated team, we're pretty good.'

"We weren't afraid of Tom Brady and their offense at all."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-not-packers/1
    Sort of tough for Strahan to even make this comparison when the Steelers LIKE the Giants are the Underdogs in this game. The Packers have the unstoppable offense and Quarterback according to the media... just like the Patriots. I dont know if either of these 2 teams have any more pressure than the other. Maybe Aaron Rogers feels more pressure to get out from under Favre's shadow and match him ring for ring. Maybe Ben feels more pressure as a means of overcoming what he's gone through the past season...
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information