Thread: News & notes

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default News & notes

2/1/2011 8:10:00 PM et
    Steelers DE Aaron Smith (triceps) plans to play "another year or two" even if he doesn't suit up for the Super Bowl.

According to the Washington Observer Reporter's Dale Lolley, Smith "seemed to be resigned to the fact that he probably won't play" against the Packers. Smith is signed through 2011 at $4.5 million. He turns 35 in April.

Source: Washington Observer Reporter

2/1/2011 6:51:00 PM et
    Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians indicated Tuesday that he will walk away from football after his relationship with the Steelers comes to an end.

"I'll end my career as a Steelers because this is going to be my last job," said Arians. "I don't have to worry about it. I can retire." Though he's often criticized in Pittsburgh, Arians' creative play-calling (along with Mike Tomlin's unflagging aggressiveness in crucial situations) has been a key element in the team's success the past four years.

Source: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com

2/1/2011 2:04:00 PM et
    Hines Ward emphasized Tuesday that he plans to keep playing "until they push me out."

Quite a turnaround from his comments of last offseason and an indication that he could have at least 2-3 years left as more of a role player. Ward also pushed for Plaxico Burress' return to Pittsburgh, saying the troubled veteran would be "welcomed with open arms." It's highly doubtful that the Steelers would re-open that can of worms.

Source: Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter

2/1/2011 1:43:00 PM et
    Steelers LBs coach Keith Butler indicated Tuesday that he does not have a clause in his contract that makes him the "coordinator in waiting" for Dick LeBeau's retirement.

Butler has been of interest to the Cardinals in the past and may be again this year. He did say that he "loves" the Steelers and acknowledged that the Rooney family paid him "a lot of money" to stay in Pittsburgh last year. Defensive backs coach Ray Horton made it clear that he's seeking a coordinator job, speaking of the similarities between the Steelers' and Eagles' "fire-zone and overload blitzes."

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter

2/1/2011 1:35:00 PM et
    Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey (ankle) plans to practice by Thursday or Friday, and now predicts there is a "75 percent chance" he will play in the Super Bowl.

"I'm definitely not going to count that young man out," coach Mike Tomlin added. Pouncey has ditched his hard cast and is walking around Media Day in a boot, which is at least a sign of tangible progress. After seemingly conceding days ago that his ankle was fractured, he's now insisting that it's merely sprained. This could be gamesmanship by the Steelers. We'll have a better read on Pouncey's status after practice reports reel in on Thursday and Friday.

Source: NFL.com

2/1/2011 9:33:00 AM et
    Hines Ward reiterated in Dallas Monday that he has no plans to retire after the Super Bowl.

"Whenever that time comes, trust me, I'll let you guys know," said Ward, 35 in March. "I don't foresee this being my last game." He may reconsider if the Steelers beat the Packers, giving him an opportunity to go out on top. If Ward is smart, he'll know he's in line for decreased playing time going forward.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: News & notes

Seriously, if Pouncey can play and does play then he deserves all the props in the world...the kid certainly is a difference-maker at the C position.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 277

Default Re: News & notes

What he said!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information