Thread: Feds seize sports websites before Super Bowl

Threads : 440

Default Feds seize sports websites before Super Bowl

Feds seize sports websites before Super Bowl
    173 Comments RSSEmailPrint

The shutdown comes just days before the biggest sporting event of the year.

By JENNIFER MARTINEZ | 2/2/11

The federal government has seized the Web addresses of 10 websites that allegedly live stream sporting and pay-per-view events online, shutting them down just days before one of the biggest televised sporting events of the year: the Super Bowl.

The U. S. Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York, working in conjunction with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, seized the Web addresses Tuesday. The seizure affidavit was unsealed Wednesday.

The websites, which include channelsurfing.net and Spain-based rojadirecta.org, were said to illegally provide access to content from the major professional sports organizations, namely the National Football League, National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League. The sites do not host the pirated sporting content themselves, but instead provide links to other websites where people can access it illegally.

Government officials argue that the sites are not only distributing pirated content illegally, but in the process, are also denting the revenues of the professional sports leagues and broadcasters as well as negatively impacting viewers.

“The illegal streaming of professional sporting events over the Internet deals a financial body blow to the leagues and broadcasters, who are forced to pass their losses off to fans by raising prices for tickets and pay-per-view events,” said Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney in Manhattan. “With the Super Bowl just days away, the seizures of these infringing websites reaffirm our commitment to working with our law enforcement partners to protect copyrighted material and put the people who steal it out of business.”

Fans have increasingly abandoned watching sports games on their television sets, opting instead to watch them on their computers via the Web instead. The shift has jolted professional sports organizations, which are grappling with how to control the growing problem of the illegal streaming of sports games online in real time. The organizations copyright the content of their sports games — from the audio, video, text and images — and restrict others from distributing it without prior written approval.

But the government’s action didn’t provide a permanent solution to the problem. One of the sites that was shut down on Wednesday, ATDHE.net, has already reappeared at a new Web address, ATDHE.me.

The federal government launched a similar campaign last November that shut down 82 websites offering counterfeit goods and digital music and movie content. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and ICE Director John Morton had warned that the two agencies were committed to going after more websites that offer copyrighted content illegally.

Morton repeated that message during Wednesday’s operation.

“This swift action by our Homeland Security Investigations New York special agents and analysts sends a clear message to website operators who mistakenly believe it’s worth the risk to take copyrighted programming and portray it as their own,” Morton said. “We will continue to aggressively investigate this type of crime with our law enforcement partners

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1CqKhwdkT

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Feds seize sports websites before Super Bowl

Some bull**** there. no different than when you used to watch a game for free with rabbit ears
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Yes, now I'm ****ED for the Super Bowl.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by cocktailsfor2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, now I'm ****ED for the Super Bowl.
    there has to be something that pops up

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's ****ed. I am not streaming anyway but it's ****. They have advertising in a lot of the streams too. They are doing the network a free service. The thing that really gets to me though is don't they Feds have better ****ing **** to do? Seriously. There are real criminals out there ffs.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Some bull**** there. no different than when you used to watch a game for free with rabbit ears
    From what I understand the company that complained the most was UFC about their PPV broadcasts rather than one of the sports leagues on regular TV.

Anyway, ATDHE is actually still online, just at a slightly different URL. http://www.atdhe.me is up and running right now as is http://atdhenet.tv/
    Last edited by jnn123; Feb-02-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    From what I understand the company that complained the most was UFC about their PPV broadcasts rather than one of the sports leagues on regular TV.

Anyway, ATDHE is actually still online, just at a slightly different URL. http://www.atdhe.me is up and running right now as is http://atdhenet.tv/
    I had seen that they were running the .me site. someone on twitter let me know during the Pens game last night. good to know about the .tv site as well.

I figured that these sites would start popping up and links would go out all over the place.

JFC ... leave it to the UFC and not a real sport to screw this up

Threads : 413

This really sucks for watching the Pens. Not so much the Steelers because I go to our sports bar to watch. Actually got an e-mail from Channelsurfing that said that ICE had shut them down.

Sometimes (well most of the time actually) I wish our government would mind their own business. This is one of them.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 186

I've been harvesting a **** load of new links. I'll post them in the gameday lounge early. Most of them should work because I've been watching the Pens games on them.
    WATCH GAMES LIVE ON LINKS BELOW

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Goonatic View Post
    I've been harvesting a **** load of new links. I'll post them in the gameday lounge early. Most of them should work because I've been watching the Pens games on them.

Sweet and thanks BUT... this just happened so make sure you keep checking all of the links often

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

The National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Do you have to be smart to work there?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information