Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison remains the NFLs angriest man

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Harrison remains the NFLs angriest man

Harrison remains the NFLs angriest man

By JIM LITKE AP Sports Columnist

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP)James Harrison needs protection.

From himself.

It sounds strange to say that about one of the most feared, and by far the most-fined player in the NFL this season, someone who calls himself the poster guy for the leagues campaign to stop the kind of vicious hits that harm others. Yet Harrison seems unconcerned with the possible damage hes doing to himself in the short and long term. Either way, hes convinced himself its well worth it.

Im willing to go through hell in gasoline drawers, Pittsburghs All-Pro linebacker said Wednesday, so that my kids dont have to.

Harrison may someday get the chance.

Several hours before the Steelers returned to the practice field at TCU to prepare for Sundays Super Bowl, Harrison was well-rested and injury-free. Yet mounting scientific evidence suggests that even high school and college football players are involved in more than enough collisions to risk lingering damage to both body and brain.

But when someone asked Harrison whether he worried about the toll all that hitting would take by the time he turned 50, this was his answer:

My (linebackers) coach, Keith Butler, who played 10 years in the league, hes close to around there and hes doing fine. Hes coaching us very, very well. Nothings wrong with his head and he played when you could do a lot worse than what were doing right now.

So Im hoping, he added, Im as blessed and as fortunate as him, to be in the same position that he is now - minus a couple hips and shoulders that he got replaced.

Funny line.

But watching a former player wobble around with all his wits is not research, just like hoping is not a retirement plan.

Worse still, Harrison not only derided the leagues efforts to stop headhunting as just another moneymaking scheme; hes used his podium for two straight days to taunt Commissioner Roger Goodell for trying.

I dont want to hurt nobody. I dont want to step on nobodys foot or hurt their toe. I dont want to have no dirt or none of this rubber on this field fly into their eye and make their eye hurt, he said during Tuesdays media day. I just want to tackle them softly on the ground and, if yall can, well lay a pillow down where Im going to tackle them, so they dont hit the ground too hard, Mr. Goodell.

Given a chance to retract those comments Wednesday, Harrison proceeded full-speed ahead.

If you want to get (hard hitting) totally out of the game, put flags on us. Well tag off and pull flags off each other, he said, and well see how popular the game is then, and how many people come to watch it.

None of this should come as a surprise. Harrison is one of those guys who made it to the NFL by refusing to back down, who used evaluations by pro scouts that he was too small and too slow as kindling. Undrafted out of college, he was cut four times and exiled for a season to Germany and NFL Europe.

To remember that difficult climb to stardom, he carried around his equipment bag from the Rhine Fire until it fell apart. Now 32, he remains as defiant as ever.

Soon after Goodell levied the first of what became $100,000 in fines for what he deemed illegal hits by Harrison, the Steeler star threatened to retire rather than try to change his style. Harrison acknowledged that playing that way had resulted in several concussions of his own, but not even one that he bothered to report.

By his twisted logic, Harrison says hes all for player safety. But in the very next breath, he vowed to continue to do his best to hide future concussions from team officials.

You shouldnt be able to come back in the game, he said. But if they dont know, they dont have that decision to make.

Its a choice. No one is forcing me to play this game. They didnt put a gun to my head and say, James, go out there and play. Its what I want to do. Its what I like to do. Its what I love to do.

Harrison, paused and scanned the crowd of reporters standing in front of him.

Did they force you to come out and do this? Did they put a gun to your head? he asked.

No, we assured him, then pointed out that sports writers dont risk concussions doing their jobs.

You could, Harrison said with a menacing smile, if you say the wrong thing.

-=

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txjimlitke020211

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Harrison remains the NFLs angriest man

Harrison is the man... It will be interesting to see how long he can keep his "edge"....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632

James Harrison's favorite tv show role model when he was a kid growing up.

Last edited by Skeeter; Feb-02-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    James Harrison's favorite tv show role model when he was a kid growing up.

That's ****ing hysterical. That was exactly what I was thinking or hearing when /i was reading through all of that., Mix in Mr.T's Clubber Lang character from Rocky III ....

Harrison is a miserable person. He fits the Lambert and Greg Lloyd mold to a "t". I'd love to see someone do an interview with Lambert right now and have them run all of Harrison's comments and show the hits (in case Lambert doesnt follow) and see what his thoughts are. I guarantee you they are exactly the same
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    “Did they force you to come out and do this? Did they put a gun to your head?” he asked.

No, we assured him, then pointed out that sports writers don’t risk concussions doing their jobs.

“You could,” Harrison said with a menacing smile, “if you say the wrong thing.”

—-=

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txjimlitke020211

Threads : 6

We may be the only team in the history of the Super Bowl to have a flag thrown on us during the coin toss. We won't be getting any calls, you can bet the bank on that. I love the guy but I think he should just keep his comments to himself till after the game. It's a fact that the refs can alter the outcome of the game and who's the boss of said refs? Roger is. This is just dumb on his part.

Meh, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    Meh, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO.
    Right. I'm sure Rog is just laughing all of this off.

The Steelers have been *****ing the same way all year but somehow we managed to get this far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    The Steelers have been *****ing the same way all year but somehow we managed to get this far.
    You're right.

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by CamoSteel View Post
    Right. I'm sure Rog is just laughing all of this off.
    I love Harrison's attitude!

BUT!

I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable that Goodell will exact his maniacal revenge through the zebras!

We may be the only team in the history of the Super Bowl to have a flag thrown on us during the coin toss. We won't be getting any calls, you can bet the bank on that. I love the guy but I think he should just keep his comments to himself till after the game. It's a fact that the refs can alter the outcome of the game and who's the boss of said refs? Roger is. This is just dumb on his part.
    Thats no different than the entire year Remember the one game where we had like 10+ penalties to 4 for the other team? The refs have been trying to **** us all year and here we are. That's what makes this season great, or one more thing that makes it great. Despite the referees having a stick up their *** to call us for a ton of penalties and not to do it for our opponents and we still are winning games and going to the superbowl... the word we have is ..

Resiliency.

If we lose it won't be because Harrison is out there telling the truth about a ****ty Commissioner

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    If we lose it won't be because Harrison is out there telling the truth about a ****ty Commissioner
    I hope this statement doesn't come back to bite you. I'm worried about the calls, or non calls. JH may get mugged all game and if it's not called we will be in trouble.

I hope this statement doesn't come back to bite you. I'm worried about the calls, or non calls. JH may get mugged all game and if it's not called we will be in trouble.
    I've worried about the calls all year but what I'm saying is that the league and refs have had a hard on for the Steelers with or without James Harrison's comments. The refs most certaintly could decide the outcome of this game, they've been trying all season long, I'm just saying that the if that happens it won't be because of any comments Harrison just made, it'll be because they've had a hard on for the Steelers all season long

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm just saying that the if that happens it won't be because of any comments Harrison just made, it'll be because they've had a hard on for the Steelers all season long
    If the calls are really, really bad there won't be a little doubt in the back of your head that says if we wouldn't have been poking Roger with a stick for two weeks in front of the world this may not have happened? I'll be thinking that and I bet alot of others will be thinking the same. Look, I know the calls for us this year have been bad, but they could have been much worse. Thats the part that scares me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information