Thread: Sickels on Rendon

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Sickels on Rendon

Where would Anthony Rendon fit on your top 50 hitters?

People ask me this all the time. I’d say in the 10-15 range now…let’s see how he looks after another college spring. Lots can happen

by John Sickels on Feb 1, 2011 12:20 PM PST

=================

Where would Anthony Rendon fall on a Top 100 Prospect list? How does he rank on a 3B-only list?

rendon 10-15. Won’t go higher than that until the college season is over. Would rank second behind Moustakas, ahead of Chisenhall.

by John Sickels on Feb 1, 2011 12:23 PM PST

================
    everyone is noticing the Royals’ future in the AL … If the Pirates take Rendon this year, and with alot of their talent already getting time in the majors, is this the next team to creep up in the NL?

It is possible but probably more in the 2013-14 time frame than this year or next

by John Sickels on Feb 1, 2011 2:35 PM PST

Threads : 197

Default Re: Sickels on Rendon

If he's 10-15 for hitters and 10-15 overall, doesn't that imply that there are no pitchers in the top 15? That seems awfully strange.

Threads : 138

What gives? I thought he was the consensus #1 prospect...? Some prominent media folks (don't remember who) said he was a better prospect than Bryce Harper. Has he fallen b/c of the injury?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What gives? I thought he was the consensus #1 prospect...? Some prominent media folks (don't remember who) said he was a better prospect than Bryce Harper. Has he fallen b/c of the injury?
    I'm surprised too. Perhaps it's the question of the injury. Maybe it's the new bat rule going into affect (although I would expect that to affect all hitters and perhaps help out pitchers statistically at least).

I don't know. Granted this is John Sickles, just 1 voice out of many. Also, let's not forget how the entire draft at this point last year was shaping up. Benny and others were all over a pitcher like Renaudo who got injured and couldn't rebound. I am curious to know why Sickles rates Rendon that low espe3cially like you said, people said they'd have taken him over Harper last eyar and his power potential is greater
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm surprised too. Perhaps it's the question of the injury. Maybe it's the new bat rule going into affect (although I would expect that to affect all hitters and perhaps help out pitchers statistically at least).

I don't know. Granted this is John Sickles, just 1 voice out of many. Also, let's not forget how the entire draft at this point last year was shaping up. Benny and others were all over a pitcher like Renaudo who got injured and couldn't rebound. I am curious to know why Sickles rates Rendon that low espe3cially like you said, people said they'd have taken him over Harper last eyar and his power potential is greater
    Sounds like they're comparing him to pro players not draft eligibles.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    Sounds like they're comparing him to pro players not draft eligibles.
    Good call and @ me. I completely didn't see Moustakas and Chisenhall listed.

I still think they are going to want to see how he does off this injury and with the new bats. He could be better than Harper but Harper just came off a successful transition to wooden bats as well

Threads : 36

They are comparing him to professionals. If he is in the top 10 to 15 that is pretty good. My guess would be he would move into the top 10 after playing in the minors. That would in all likelihood give the Pirates two players in the top 15 overall. The Pirate farm system would also rise considerably with Rendon's addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    They are comparing him to professionals. If he is in the top 10 to 15 that is pretty good. My guess would be he would move into the top 10 after playing in the minors. That would in all likelihood give the Pirates two players in the top 15 overall. The Pirate farm system would also rise considerably with Rendon's addition.
    For definite sure. it's likely ranked as low as it was because all of our impact bats besides Tony Sanchez all graduated to the majors last year. Adding Rendon would give us an impact bat to go with the some impact arms in the lower minors such as Tailoon, Allie, Heredia and which of the AAA guys that don't move up to the majors by then

Threads : 197

Keith Law said he'd rank Rendon between 7 and 10 if he was drafted/signed today. I think Kevin Goldstein said he'd be in the top 5, but he wants to see his season first. He said he expects his number to be down this year, but that's because he expects numbers to be down across the country. As long as he performs similarly relative to his peers he'd be right up there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information