Thread: Roger Goodell - Nothing More Than the Owners Personal Salesman

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Roger Goodell - Nothing More Than the Owners Personal Salesman

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry_Puppetmaster_Goodell.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	4590Roger Goodell's Super Bowl week speech and address has come and go.

The "State of the Union" for the NFL.

..and it was nothing more than a ton of spin and garbage, one would come to expect from a dishonest and useless Commissioner like Roger Goodell who has accomplished absolutely nothing in his few years as Commissioner except having scandals and issues surround him and the job he has done.

The one constant that was alive and well during Roger Goodell's recent speech/Question & Answer is that he wants to

• "Grow The League"
    • "Make the League better"
    • "Get the league to continue to grow"
    • "Improve the fan experience"

There's so many terms that Roger Goodell threw out that sound great. if you read any of these you would applause, nod your head in agreement and whatever else that could be deemed positive.

There is one issue with this however..

All of those terms mentioned above are on the back of "creating more revenue". Anything that uses the word "grow" ultimately meant growing the revenues for the Owners which essentially means passing the buck onto the "fans".

Nothing was more evident of this than Roger Goodell complaining that no new stadium has been built since 2006. Do you know who puts most of the money towards these Stadiums? The fans.

Roger Goodell mentioned a few times in his speech about the economy yet, it seems to have alluded him that economically we aren't really in a good position to be building stadiums for whatever very few teams are left without one..

Watching Goodell's speech and analyzing everything he said and looking between the lines, he's really nothing more than a lobbyist for the Owners who in return is given far too much power controlling the players through re-defining how to tackle during the season and handing out fines if whatever amount he wants and whenever he wants.

Why wouldn't the owners continue to "blindly" support this moron? He's exactly what they wanted. He is exactly what they wanted when they looked for Paul Tagliabue's replacement knowing that they were going to be negotiating a new CBA in the next few years. They wanted a "yes" man. They wanted a personal salesman. The owners don't want a negotiator that works for both sides like Pete Rozell and Paul Tagliabue. They wanted their own personal puppet.

Roger Goodell is their personal puppet.

In return for handing this undeserved hack the Commissioner's job to be their personal lackey to help bring them more revenue in the next CBA, they've given Roger Goodell more personal power than the past 2 Commissioner's ever had to be Judge, Jury and Executioner.

...and why not?

If Roger Goodell is going to get them more ultimate revenue by not performing any actual negotiating to bring together compromise (which the owners have said that they aren't willing to compromise), then why care if a player here and there gets suspended? Why would an Owner care if a player of theirs is fined? That is all minor stuff in the larger picture of things. That larger picture of things is...

• Growing the League
    • Making the NFL better
    • Providing the fans with a better experience

All of that equals - Providing more revenue to the Owners. Roger Goodell said it perfectly when he was asked during his "State Of the NFL" Address. He was asked about whether the fans should even trust the Owners and Players when it's billionaire's and Millionaire's haggling over how to spend THEIR - The fans money. His answer?

The Fans just want Football.

Me and you, we simply don't matter in any of this because they know that we want Football, so they can Grandstand with all of their twisted terms and politicizing in the public but let's get something straight ... This labor dispute isn't about the fans. It isn't about making the League better, improving the product, it is about dividing the money that the fans put back into this league while throwing the fans the middle finger in return.

There's nothing wrong with these Owners and players making money. We provide that ability through us being fans. Just don't insult our intelligence with this bull**** Grandstanding, using terms that say one thing but mean something else.
    Last edited by Kipper; Oct-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 440

Default Re: Roger Goodell - Nothing More Thanthe Owners Personal Salesman

Goodell wants to get deal done in ‘next few weeks’

By JAIME ARON, AP Pro Football Writer

DALLAS (AP)—Chad Ochocinco asked NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell the question all his fellow players want answered: How far away are we from realistically getting a labor deal done?

Goodell hopes it can be done “in the next few weeks,” meaning before the collective bargaining agreement expires March 3.

“I can tell you the commitment on behalf of the ownership is on getting an agreement,” Goodell said. “I think that’s only going to happen when there’s intense negotiations from your union and the owners. This is the window of opportunity to get this done right. Otherwise, uncertainty is going to seep into all of our operations. … I say, let’s get to work, let’s get an agreement that works for everybody.”

Goodell and union officials are scheduled to meet Saturday in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the first formal bargaining session since November. Two more sessions have been scheduled for next week, at an undisclosed location.

NFLPA spokesman George Atallah described the meeting as “a window of opportunity” and added: “We intend to go in there with open minds and open ears.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to set any expectation, other than the fact that we intend to sit down and continue to have a discussion that should guarantee football for our fans, football for our players,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Thursday.

Goodell repeatedly mentioned needing “intensive, around-the-clock negotiations to address the issues and find solutions.”

“I can assure you that I have that sense of urgency,” Goodell said. “There are enough incentives for all of us to get to the table and get a deal done.”

Extending the regular season by two games to 18 is among the major issues. However, Goodell said “there are no deal-breakers.”

The main issues between the owners and players union include how to divide about $9 billion in annual revenues; the owners’ push to expand the regular season to 18 games; a rookie wage scale; and benefits for retired players.

A lockout is widely expected, although Goodell said owners are only “committed to a deal that works and is fair to the clubs.”

“Status quo is not acceptable,” he said. “We have to address these issues going forward. … The pendulum has shifted too far in one direction.”

He called the union’s request for teams to open up their financial records a negotiating ploy, and said a brewing dustup over whether teams can name franchise players could be headed to court.

Goodell said a work stoppage of any length would draw backlash from fans and sponsors. He noted that would hurt everyone because “when that revenue decreases, there is less for us to share.”

He knows his reputation would take a hit—as would his paycheck. He’s vowed to let his salary plummet from nearly $10 million, including bonuses, to $1.

“I don’t want my salary to go to a dollar,” he said. Then he smiled and added, “My wife doesn’t want my salary to go to a dollar. But it’s a collective sacrifice if we’re not able to get an agreement. It should affect everyone in the league. … We should avoid it to get something done as soon as possible.”

Goodell also said he has spoken to Eagles quarterback Michael Vick(notes) three times in the last two weeks. Vick was reinstated during the 2009 season after spending 18 months in prison on federal charges of running a dogfighting ring.

“We’re looking for success stories; we’re not looking for players to fail,” Goodell said. “He’s paid a very significant price and he’s doing the right thing.”

Vick’s name has been attached to several events that don’t fit the rehabilitated image he’s trying to cultivate. Goodell said Vick told him others were using his name without permission.

“I don’t want him to put himself in a position where bad things can happen around him,” Goodell said. “He takes that seriously.”

With several inches of snow falling Friday, on top of ice that’s been there for days, many Super Bowl activities across the Dallas-Fort Worth area have been postponed or canceled.

Goodell noted that much of the country is enduring similar conditions. He indicated it wouldn’t jeopardize the area’s chances of hosting the game again, mainly because of the most important aspect: Cowboys Stadium. A crowd of more than 100,000 is expected, ensuring a huge profit for the league. There’s a roof, too, ensuring perfect playing conditions.

“Frankly, that’s our stage,” Goodell said. “You’re going to be seeing the Super Bowl from one of the greatest stadiums in the world. … The fact it can handle weather by closing the roof is a benefit.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...erbowl-goodell

Threads : 197

I heard some of the audio of the press conference. The best question had to be from The X's Tim Benz. He asked something about how it will feel if the Steelers win and he has to hand the MVP trophy to Ben Roethlisberger or James Harrison. He also threw in something about how Pittsburghers feel that a win on Sunday would be a victory not only over the Packers, but also over Goodell. Goodell gave pretty much the expected answer, but I would have loved to have seen his face.

Roger Goodell: 18-game season is what fans want

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 4, 2011

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is steadfast in his support of increasing the regular season from 16 games to 18. And he insists that that’s what the fans want.

In fact, Goodell said today at his annual “State of the League” press conference that it was interest from the fans that made him and the majority of league owners decide to push for an 18-game season.

“We started this with the fans,” Goodell said. “The fans have clearly stated that they don’t like the preseason. We have a 20-game format, 16 regular season games and four preseason games, and the fans have repeatedly said the preseason games don’t meet NFL standards. And that is the basis on which we started this 18-game concept, taking two low-quality preseason games and turning them into two high-quality regular season games.”

A recent Associated Press poll, however, found that fan interest in an 18-game season was lukewarm at best. And NFL players are just about unanimous in their opposition to the 18-game season.

So is Goodell right that the fans want an 18-game season? Or is Goodell using the fans as cover for something that’s really being pushed by the owners, and by Goodell himself?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hat-fans-want/

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heard some of the audio of the press conference. The best question had to be from The X's Tim Benz. He asked something about how it will feel if the Steelers win and he has to hand the MVP trophy to Ben Roethlisberger or James Harrison. He also threw in something about how Pittsburghers feel that a win on Sunday would be a victory not only over the Packers, but also over Goodell. Goodell gave pretty much the expected answer, but I would have loved to have seen his face.
    here you go:

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You could actually watch goo******s face turn red as he was talking. SWEET!!!!!
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 49

I just can't believe that Goodell is still pulling the BS line that "fans want an 18 game schedule" REALLY? Hmmm...That's news to me and probably just about every fan out there, Goodell! You lying, weasel faced **********. I'm so sick of this hypocritical turdbag.

I mean, I've been visiting sports MB's for years and I honestly can't recall one post from someone saying "Jeez, I'd really like to see an 18 game schedule!"

No, I think what fans want is cheaper and more reasonably priced tickets for preseason games. But of course since this is the NFL we're talking about that won't happen and instead Goodell spins into a complete misrepresentation of that.

It's all about greed. It's not about the fans, player safety, etc.

Threads : 164

I just can't figure out why anyone is surprised by this, Goodell is paid by the OWNERS! Why anyone would be shocked when his priority is to fill their pockets is beyond me.

We live in a greed oriented society and it has been argued by people much more intelligent than yours truly and by people who can argue much more eloquently than I can, that after the insurance companies, the NFL might be the second most power entity in this society.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Roger Goodell: 18-game season is what fans want

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 4, 2011

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is steadfast in his support of increasing the regular season from 16 games to 18. And he insists that that’s what the fans want.

In fact, Goodell said today at his annual “State of the League” press conference that it was interest from the fans that made him and the majority of league owners decide to push for an 18-game season.

“We started this with the fans,” Goodell said. “The fans have clearly stated that they don’t like the preseason. We have a 20-game format, 16 regular season games and four preseason games, and the fans have repeatedly said the preseason games don’t meet NFL standards. And that is the basis on which we started this 18-game concept, taking two low-quality preseason games and turning them into two high-quality regular season games.”

A recent Associated Press poll, however, found that fan interest in an 18-game season was lukewarm at best. And NFL players are just about unanimous in their opposition to the 18-game season.

So is Goodell right that the fans want an 18-game season? Or is Goodell using the fans as cover for something that’s really being pushed by the owners, and by Goodell himself?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hat-fans-want/
    I think Goodell is actually right on this one to an extent. What you havwe to do is poll ticket holders and non ticket holders. My guess is that non-ticket holders don't want an 18 game schedule and the ticket holders do just for the increase to the value of their tickets (which is **** considering the quality of pre-season games).

He's right in that people complaining about the quality of those preseason games and there were a ton wanted improved quality. You improve that quality by creating Regular Season games.

I've got no problem with an 18 game schedule and actually I when I believe it was Ochoc Stinko.. maybe a reporter from Chicago who talked about the 18 game schedule and then said hw there would be more offseason work and requirement. First thing that went through my head was.."you ****ers are paid hundreds of thousands and millions of ****ing dollars. you don't deserve to have months off and don't ****ing whine about it either." Give them a month. There's their 4 weeks of vacation (2 and 3 for Rookie )

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    I just can't figure out why anyone is surprised by this, Goodell is paid by the OWNERS! Why anyone would be shocked when his priority is to fill their pockets is beyond me.

We live in a greed oriented society and it has been argued by people much more intelligent than yours truly and by people who can argue much more eloquently than I can, that after the insurance companies, the NFL might be the second most power entity in this society.
    The issue here is that past Commishes like Rozell and tagliabue worked for the "league". they were true negotiateors that worked for compromise. It's something rarely seen anymore in sports. Goodell is nothing more than a puppet. He's not there to negotiate or compromise, he's there to deliver messages from the owners, make a couple of speeches and that's it. You're right, Goodell does work for the owners but past commisioners like Rozelle and Tagliabue, hell go back even further to Bell and these guys worked for the league and that includes the players.

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I think Goodell is actually right on this one to an extent. What you havwe to do is poll ticket holders and non ticket holders. My guess is that non-ticket holders don't want an 18 game schedule and the ticket holders do just for the increase to the value of their tickets (which is **** considering the quality of pre-season games).

He's right in that people complaining about the quality of those preseason games and there were a ton wanted improved quality. You improve that quality by creating Regular Season games.

I've got no problem with an 18 game schedule and actually I when I believe it was Ochoc Stinko.. maybe a reporter from Chicago who talked about the 18 game schedule and then said hw there would be more offseason work and requirement. First thing that went through my head was.."you ****ers are paid hundreds of thousands and millions of ****ing dollars. you don't deserve to have months off and don't ****ing whine about it either." Give them a month. There's their 4 weeks of vacation (2 and 3 for Rookie )
    I dunno, I think by most accounts Goodell is definitely wrong on this. Fans either do not want it or are indifferent to it. Sure, there are some ticket holders that might want it just to increase the value of their tickets, but they are probably in the minority. And I'm sorry but that's a horrible reason to extend the season by 2 games.

To add to that, almost no players want it, so again, what is the point of doing it? Just to make more money for the NFL and owners at the expense of more injuries and watering down the NFL. Just a bad idea, IMO. But greed rules over all in the NFL these days.

Goodell takes on his critics

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, February 5, 2011

They said it

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on the likelihood that there will be a prolonged work stoppage if a new CBA isn't reached before March 4:

"We will get an agreement, and I think that's only going to happen with intense negotiations. That has to take place now. This is the window of opportunity to get this done right because otherwise uncertainty is going to seep into all of our operations. I'd say right now, let's get to work, let's get an agreement that works for everybody."

Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney on the owners and players reaching an agreement:

"I'm pessimistic if they don't talk. If they talk I'm optimistic. I'm saying serious talks, that they go with the idea that they're going to get an agreement and not just talk to (reporters) and say everything's great or bad."

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft on the urgency the owners and players much show over the next month:

"The American public and sponsors want this product, and if we don't conclude a labor deal before March 4, that will be criminal."

DALLAS — Amid a news conference dominated by questions about a looming work stoppage, Roger Goodell also was asked if he has an anti-Steelers bias — and specifically if the NFL commissioner's worst-case scenario Sunday night is presenting the Super Bowl MVP award to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger or outside linebacker James Harrison.

"I'd be more than happy to hand off the MVP trophy to Ben Roethlisberger or James Harrison," Goodell said. "They've had extraordinary years, and I think it's great for the game of football. I hope they will have great games on Sunday."

Goodell has been in the news with both Harrison and Roethlisberger this week.

Harrison mocked Goodell and the league's crackdown on dangerous hits at Super Bowl media day. Goodell, meanwhile, told Sports Illustrated that none of the more than 20 players he talked to after Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault last March came to his defense. SI initially reported that Roethlisberger's teammates hadn't supported him and later issued a retraction, saying Goodell had talked to players around the league.

Goodell said yesterday that talking to players is standard before making a big decision. He said he brought it up because he was asked about the process that preceded Goodell suspending Roethlisberger.

In addition to addressing the Roethlisberger controversy, which kicked off Super Bowl week, Goodell refuted the notion that the Steelers were unfairly targeted by his office this season.

Harrison has said the NFL made him the "poster boy" for the kind of hits Goodell wants to eliminate. He has been fined four times for a total of $100,000.

"The rules apply to 32 teams and every player in the league, no exceptions," Goodell said. "If you look at the game this year, (players) adjusted, and it is safer."

Chairman emeritus Dan Rooney said the Steelers are not at odds with Goodell's initiative to improve player safety.

"We never said that we were for head to head hits, none of our players did," Rooney said. "We don't want to hurt anybody. The commissioner's main job is to see that it's a level playing field."

Rooney echoed Goodell's sentiment that earnest negotiations are the only way the players and owners are going to reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

The current one expires after March 3, and players are bracing for owners to lock them out. The sides are divided over revenue sharing.

"There's enough money that we can take care of people that should be, the players, the coaches," Rooney said. "I think the way the thing is going with the National Football League that enough money is being produced to do that. We have a great game, and I think we've to keep it up there."

Rooney, the U.S. Ambassador to Ireland, has been a key figure in brokering labor peace in the past.

He plans to stay on the sidelines this time.

"My job," Rooney said, "is in Ireland."

Read more: Goodell takes on his critics - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1D6uhLGXz

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information