Thread: How are ya watchin' it?

Threads : 215

Default How are ya watchin' it?

I will be watching the Super Bowl on a 3 or 4 year old 42" Insignia HDTV. Somewhat outdated , but still worthy. I wish I had a larger TV for this game.

HERE WE GO STEELERS

Threads : 60

Default Re: How are ya watchin' it?

I'm inviting over my parents and my buddy asked to come over too. Usually I throw a big bash but not this time. The kid broke the big screen TV but I do have a 40 " flat in our first floor TV room that only sits about six comfortably. I ordered 60 hot wings, one large 24 piece uncooked pizza, one case of Coors lite, pop, chips and side snacks. My wife will be there along with my 6 and 9 year old. I almost went out and purchased a big flat screen last night but I didn't.
    Work last year was okay after jumping through hoops to get jobs but this year has started out the slowest that I can ever remember. To say it started out slow would mean I actually have work and I don't.
    Anyway, I hope not buying the TV has reverse Karma and then, I get a lot of work this year and then kick myself for not buying a big TV.

I'm sure my nephew will show up and then his mother and then I'll hear all their troubles, get hit up for money. Then a brother will show up that has no concerns for sports, will eat every last morsel of food and talk the entire time.
    By then I blow my stack and throw everyone out. Oh yeah, it's happened before.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watching on my 42" Vizio LCD. Will have Pizza, wings and my Yuengling's. No friends over because they are NOT Steelers fans, and therefore not worthy of entering my Steelers room to watch the Steelers play in the Super Bowl.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

I need some feedback. Just got off the phone with my best buddy since highschool and he is also my employee. He is the same friend that asked if he could come over and watch the game.....I said yes, you know your welcomed.
    He just phoned and asked if he could bring his two daughters and I said no. One is 14 and very nice, polite and my wife and her get along very well. The other is nine and she bounces off the walls, ceilings, runs through the house, demanding this and that and usually good for breaking stuff and making my youngest daughter (6yrs) cry. I have a nine year old daughter too that enjoys watching the Steelers with me and is pretty timid and nothing near his nine year old so, there will be no compatability there if, they would get together.

I went on to tell my friend that I am the type of person that watches and listens to the games and I want no distractions. Nothing personal and anyother time the kids are welcomed (little white lie) but not on Super Bowl Sunday with the Steelers.
    He knows this is practically a religion for me so, I hope he wasn't insulted.

Did I do the right thing or was it ignorant of me to refuse a friend ?

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I need some feedback. Just got off the phone with my best buddy since highschool and he is also my employee. He is the same friend that asked if he could come over and watch the game.....I said yes, you know your welcomed.
    He just phoned and asked if he could bring his two daughters and I said no. One is 14 and very nice, polite and my wife and her get along very well. The other is nine and she bounces off the walls, ceilings, runs through the house, demanding this and that and usually good for breaking stuff and making my youngest daughter (6yrs) cry. I have a nine year old daughter too that enjoys watching the Steelers with me and is pretty timid and nothing near his nine year old so, there will be no compatability there if, they would get together.

I went on to tell my friend that I am the type of person that watches and listens to the games and I want no distractions. Nothing personal and anyother time the kids are welcomed (little white lie) but not on Super Bowl Sunday with the Steelers.
    He knows this is practically a religion for me so, I hope he wasn't insulted.

Did I do the right thing or was it ignorant of me to refuse a friend ?
    Wow that's a hard call, but I'd do the same. This is a rare event. The only alternative would be to have activities and adult supervision prepared to keep the kids and non-serious fans out of the tv room.

Thanks WySteel. We've tried that before with her for birthday parties, 4th of July or whenever a visit and she is very uncontrollable. Even for her own parents. I have mentioned to her father, " they make pills for kids like her "

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks WySteel. We've tried that before with her for birthday parties, 4th of July or whenever a visit and she is very uncontrollable. Even for her own parents. I have mentioned to her father, " they make pills for kids like her "
    Ok I understand. You are doing the right thing and he really shouldn't have asked to bring the kid(s) anyhow.

Heck I'm so intent on game focus I'm watching all by myself, on purpose.
    Last edited by Skeeter; Feb-05-2011 at 01:11 PM.

I usually do that too..watching the games by myself. I invited my parents because. they're my parents.........they never stay past half time. My friend isn't into sports but I know he wants to be a part of the Super Bowl frenzy and he always looking for another reason to drink yet more beer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a big game. Too big for those kinds of distractions fezz and you made the right call. It might be different for a regular season game, but not the Super Bowl.

Threads : 5

you did the right thing with the kids!!!!! Your buddy will understand!! Go Steelers

Thanks for the backup Steelreign. BTW, I just got back from buying/charging a 55" flat screen. I had to look at it this way, if I watched our Steelers on a small screen karma would have it at, " the last time the Steelers ever played in a Super Bowl I had to watch on a small TV, in a cramped room." I now have a big screen that will go in the den where, many can view and watch comfortably. I DID IT FOR THE TEAM AND THE STEELER NATION !

Have I mentioned each time I purchased a new TV we won the Super Bowl ? AGAIN<, I DID FOR ALL OF US !

I now have to run to Lowes because when my wife saw me hauling in the TV she said, " you have time and money for that but, I've been asking for 10 years to finish the bathroom and the kitchen in the basement. AND DON'T TELL ME YOU'LL DO A LITTLE EACH TIME THE STEELERS MAKE ITE TO THE SUPER BOWL. 8 TIMES IN 45 YEARS DOESN'T CUT IT WITH ME. ! GET TO ****EN WORK AT IT !

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU OWN A CONSTRUCTION COMPANY !

After that she just started getting insulting !

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fez, it is a complex situation with friends, their children and not welcoming their children when asked. I would have said no also. This just isn't any run of the mill game and it isn't a Super Bowl where any two teams are playing. This is a Steeler Super Bowl, a Pittsburghers birthright, a Pittsburgh holiday and especially for the faithful.

Probably when it's over you'll probably feel guilty but don't let it happen, this is like New Years Eve or more of an adult theme.

Hate to burst your bubble but, Lowes closes at 9:00. I'm a weekend warrior, I know these things.

Congrats on the TV fezz and thanks for buying the 55 incher, you just might be Super Bowl co-mvp

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fez, you'll need to invite me over to see that big screen and watch the game. I want to see your batmobile also.
    Fezzy owns the real batmobile.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information